Yee Haa! (Story Added)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BUCKSHOT

Yee Haa! (Story Added)

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Went out for my first rifle hunt with bj yesterday morning. We started out setting up about 150 yds apart on a deer run in an area where I have seen a nice buck and heard two of them sparring one morning. The idea was to hopefully tag team a buck as I was ready with the grunt and antlers. We played this game for a while with no apparent response and then decided to head out for a little meander across a good ridge I know.
On our way to the ridge down a trail we got busted by a nice deer that we thought might be a buck but it never really gave us much chance to tell. After it busted us we looked around a bit for it and Wayne saw it jump the trail right on the run where we came from, it was going 100 kph.
We carried on to do our ridge run and I asked Wayne to wait about 125 yds from the top and I would go to the edge then we would start the ridge.
There is good sign through out the area and I was really optimistic about a nice slow push to produce some action. The bonus being we both had Doe tags.
Well we started in and had only gone about 100 yds or so, I could see Wayne from time to time. I figured if I pushed something off the ridge he might have a good chance at it. The bush is fairly thick there so I felt that the deer would play hide and seek with us perhaps.
All of a sudden I saw a flag about twenty five yds. ahead and thought it would bust out so I whistled at Wayne and he got prepped. I got on the radio and told him I just saw a flag and all of a sudden I realized there was a beautifull large Doe standing broadside directly ahead of me at about 25 yds. She was standing behind some small spruce and it was hard to make her out, had I moved any closer I am sure she would have bolted. I told Wayne I had a deer I could shoot right in front of me and quickly dropped the radio. I brought my gun up and nailed her with an eight ring double lunger. She ran about 50-60 yds over the side of the ridge and cannonballed down the hill a bit.
That recovery was pretty sweet but it took her a bit to leave sign.
We had a go, dragging her out to the road but everything worked out great. I got in trouble for shooting such a big Doe :wink: they get pretty heavy after a bit.
Oh well, a great day, meat for the freezer and still almost a month and a half of hunting to go.
Good fortune to all who venture into the woods, stay Safe and be Happy!

P.S. looking forward to our next outing Wayne, Thanks for a great day!
Enjoy the Harvest!
BUCKSHOT

Any others?

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Just wondering how the rifle/gun season is working out for other fella's?

I know this is an archery/ hunting forum but I am interested in knowing how it's going for you fellow hunters with a flare for bushtime.
It is good to have options during open season, meaning any time in the bush is enjoyable through archery, muzzle loader, rifle and shotgun.
Lay a tale on me!
Enjoy the Harvest!
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Big congtats .
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
TPM

Post by TPM »

Been a little slow for me for our shotgun season down here. Have seen a couple but no shooting opportunities yet. Got a potentially large buck messing with my head. He's been leaving a ton of scrapes and some monster tracks when I'm not there. Haven't been able to co-ordinate our schedules yet. :x Going after him again tomorrow morning.
Will be up your way at the end of next week at my camp just outside of Huntsville to catch the last couple of days of rifle season.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
DanO

Post by DanO »

Slow near FErgus as well! Lots of shots around us but the deer seem to return to the same fields every night. I thought the pressure might push them into quieter areas of the bush but not yet.

I have the same problem with a buck. I'm sure he is moving only at night and that's why I keep missing him.

How long does it general take the deer to return to some kind of normal pattern after the pressure of this week?

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
BUCKSHOT

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I think you have mentioned it before but where is your camp?
TPM wrote: Will be up your way at the end of next week at my camp just outside of Huntsville to catch the last couple of days of rifle season.
I hope you connect with your Buck if not maybe a Muskoka Deer or a later season Archery Harvest.
However it works out, all the best to you.
Enjoy the Harvest!
diesel

Post by diesel »

congrats buckshot.
TPM

Post by TPM »

I think you have mentioned it before but where is your camp?
We're just off Muskoka Rd. 3 about half way between Domtar Rd. and Yearly Rd. (Aspdin) right near Slocombe Lake. We own 100 acres neighbouring on about 60 acres of Crown land.
I have the same problem with a buck. I'm sure he is moving only at night and that's why I keep missing him.
Same problem here. Last night he was there again and this time he rubbed the crap out a tree right next to my ground blind! :x
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!
wabi
Apple_Orchard

Post by Apple_Orchard »

Congrats!! Picture of you and your deer please.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on yer nanny! I am having dog issues, as in running the deer and being hostile towards me as i sat on my bucket on the ground. Growling baring teeth hair standing up. I am putting my ladder stand up this afternoon. I can handle but one ogf them on the ground and there was 4!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
BUCKSHOT

Hey

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I know where you are roughly that should be a great area for you to harvest a Deer.
We're just off Muskoka Rd. 3 about half way between Domtar Rd. and Yearly Rd. (Aspdin) right near Slocombe Lake. We own 100 acres neighbouring on about 60 acres of Crown land.
Good fortune this weekend. BTW you should check but I think you can hunt Sunday in that area.
Stay on him he'll show!

Hey Smokepole, sounds like you may get some additional shooting practice, those dogs don't sound like a good thing to have around.

Thanks for the congrats, Happy Hunting.
Enjoy the Harvest!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Congrats, sort of. Using radios to hunt deer is not only forbidden here but considered on the same level as sleeping in 5 day old undies. Buy hey, if it's legal there and you have no quams doing it, radio-hunt on.