What does everyone think about this?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

What does everyone think about this?

Post by Boo »

Maybe I am being retarded but here goes.
What do you guys think of rating pictures of the deer that we've taken? I was thinking that it would be very cool to present the deer that we've taken in a really nice and respectable manner that is very presentable for the whole world to see. Who knows, may be a publication would want to use it in a magazine? Flbuckmaster mentioned in a thread that he could have done without the blood. Well I really like those pictures of deer that are really presentable and that pays due respect to the animals that we pursue. I quite understand the pictures taken of the moment but we could also clean up the animal, tuck in it's tongue and not display the open body cavity. A picture like that is one that would delight the young and possibly attract rather than repel. Think of which picture you would like to show your grandchildren. Anyhow I was thinking that the pictures in the Trophy Room thread could be rated at the end of the year for presentation.
Everyone's input would be appreciated.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

Looks like I need to tag that monster behind the house, and SMILE for the picture. :lol:

I think it is a great idea.
Huntsman, rest! thy chase is done
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Boo, I'm totally with you! I have no trouble with deer blood and guts "in real life", but I think that cleaning up a deer and posing it tastefully for public photos shows respect. These animals deserve to be presented with dignity. They aren't just meat. They challenge us & inspire us. Once they're on the ground, it's good & right to show them in the best possible pose and condition. It usually doesn't take much - often just a different camera angle or moving the deer a couple of feet will make a big difference.

Thanks for bringing it up. I'm all for it.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Sounds great to me I'm for it. I usually put the tounge in, wipe the blood off and smooth the hair with a broom before making pictures.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
hotburn

Post by hotburn »

I agree Don. I tried to get a good pic of my buck but he was pretty stiff by the time pics where being taken that it was hard to even get his head up. I tried to tuck his legs in, but they would not work with me. I was able to make sure his tongue was in and not much blood on the face, but that was about it. Tried to get his legs so he would lay flat on his belly but it just was not working. My brother was wanting to get home since he was who I called to help drag out and he had his seven year old with us. I try to pay respect, but then again, is will eat and flush him in a couple of days too!! LOL!!
Boo

Post by Boo »

I'll make two strings for the winner. Colour, material and number of bundles will be the winner's pick.
Jason, the first picture is great!
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Good idea, Boo!
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
tracer

Post by tracer »

That is an excellent idea Boo !
Authorized Dealer for SPYPOINT, SPARTAN, BADLANDS GEAR, KLYMIT, FENIX,
whitetailscrossing.com
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I know what you mean Boo. I had all intentions of getting a better picture myself but I came home for the quad and camera, the camera was dead. When I returned with the quad and Deer I had no help and I wanted to slide him right off the quad into the pickup so I didnt get the pictures I wanted to this year.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I am sure we all forget to take the time just after the deed gets done. Look at this goof ball picture. Head is hardly visible and can't tell if it is a doe or a buck. The only think for sure is that I am a dork for setting the deer up the way I did. Problem is that it always seems good at the moment! LOL!
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2411791
We can all do better and it does not take more than a few minutes and the effects last a lifetime!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I'm all for that too. Looks like you have a judging job Don! The way the deer have been treating me the last few outings . . . there may not be a picture for me to take!

It can be challanging getting a good picture with taste. However, it can be done and it doesn't take a lot of effort to do it. Just plan ahead . . .don't forget the camera(I've been guilty of that this year), it is a lot harder after the deer is cold, that's for sure.

By the way Don . . .that's some cool camo.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

Sounds like a good idea Boo, I am for it as well.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I always take the picture before field dressing if possible. Try to clean up the blood from the mouth and nose, and take a nice clean picture. I believe in respecting the animal right down to the last meal, meaning nothing is wasted. Even the tough scraps and bones are saved for my dog.

Chris and I found a deer this year that was stripped of the hind quarters, backstraps, and the head (probably with antlers). It was a real shame to see that someone would not use the entire animal. Looked to us that if it was taken out that way, then it was probably not even tagged.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

hotburn wrote:I agree Don. I tried to get a good pic of my buck but he was pretty stiff by the time pics where being taken that it was hard to even get his head up. I tried to tuck his legs in, but they would not work with me. I was able to make sure his tongue was in and not much blood on the face, but that was about it. Tried to get his legs so he would lay flat on his belly but it just was not working. My brother was wanting to get home since he was who I called to help drag out and he had his seven year old with us. I try to pay respect, but then again, is will eat and flush him in a couple of days too!! LOL!!
Hotburn with a stiff deer you can cut the tendons behind the knee on the back legs so they will bend and put him on his belly with the head up
, makes a goog picture.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

good idea, Don! Kudos to ya for offering strings for prizes!!
"Eze 18:21"