Remington 870 Slug Barrel

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DropTine

Remington 870 Slug Barrel

Post by DropTine »

Im planning on getting a slug barrel for my 870 super mag. I know that remington sells them with a factory pre mounted scope. How is that scope? Also how would a red dot scope be at ranges around 100yds? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
MADMAX2

REM 870

Post by MADMAX2 »

I use the stock iron sights on my rifled 870 and have taken my share of deer with it, my group sets me up in open fields and have had good hits at 100yrds.Some of the guys are getting good grouping even farther with those new remington slugs,as I have seen the pictures on this forum :D
The best things in life are not things!!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Remington makes a couple different variations of a rifled barrel, but if you say it comes with a pre-mounted scope than the one you are looking at must be a cantilevered barrel. (go for it!!)
One option is to use the bracket that attaches through the trigger pins, that is the one just above the receiver in my picture. the other way is with a cantilevered barrel (far superior), like the short barrel (top barrel)in this photo. Once the scope is installed to the cantilever you can take it on and off with minimal affect on POI, switch back and fourth from smooth-bore to rifled with ease.
As far as quality goes, I use a cheap Redhead scope on mine and have had no problems, the gun will easily do 2" groups out to 125 yards with cheap sabots, switch to expensive sabots and the gun will do 2" groups out to 200 yards.
Your on the right track, the 870 with a rifled barrel is known to be one of the most accurate slug guns out there, enjoy!

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
KNIGHTS OF NI

Post by KNIGHTS OF NI »

Another option is the Hastings barrel for the 870.
I find the quality of the Hastings a bit better and the price is comparable.
Regards Knights
boogap

Post by boogap »

Ya, make sure you get the cantilever if you wanna use a scope. I got the combo, and it came with iron sights instead of cantilever. Shoots great, but a scope would be nice. My eyesights perfect, but the deer seem to be gettin fuzzier...
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

My brother and I both shoot Rem 870 Deer/Turkey Combo's. Comes with the camo synthetic stock, Cantilever deer barrel and the Turkey barrel with removable choke.

As far as scopes go...we both use bushnels red-dot with the 4 different aperatures. Small dot, big dot, cross hairs, cirgle/cross-hair combo.

As far as accuracy goes, last year I shot a doe at 176 yards and this year my brother took a nice 8pt at just over 200yards. We tested all the higher priced slugs and found that the Rem Core Lokt Ultra Sabots worked the best with ours. Sight in at 150yds and you are 2" high at 100yds and 6" low at 200yds. Here is a link to a post on this forum of the deer we shot this year with our 870's and the little story that goes with it.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... 36c9e325d7

RyanB
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

I have an 20 guage 870 and shooting 2 3/4" sabots at 125 yards can get a 2 inch group. I found that using the slower sabots worked better for me. The ones that shoot at 1400fps rather then 1900fps. However now that the season is over im going to experiment and see what works best. However this is basically a fool proof set up.

ps i forgot to add that i was shooting with the scope that came with the barel on the cantilever mount. its a remington scope (2 - 7 power) and i havent had any problems.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

[quote="Bow Life"]I have an 20 guage 870 and shooting 2 3/4" sabots at 125 yards can get a 2 inch group. I found that using the slower sabots worked better for me. The ones that shoot at 1400fps rather then 1900fps. However now that the season is over im going to experiment and see what works best. However this is basically a fool proof set up.

ps i forgot to add that i was shooting with the scope that came with the barel on the cantilever mount. its a remington scope (2 - 7 power) and i havent had any problems.[/quote]

Is it the one that was pre-mounted by the factory, because thats the one that im looking at, how is it durability wise?
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Scott Archery Release

Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

I bought the barel from cabelas and it came with a remington scope on it. It is a remington barel i believe. As far as i have used it i have had no problems but i have only had it for two years. Used it on deer and coyote.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
100 Wasp BroadHeads

DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Thats where i plan to buy it from, cabelas, do you know how much it would cost to ship? Or should i phone them.
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Scott Archery Release

Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

id call them because when i got mine it was onsale and i got a hell of a deal. so id call them and see what its gunna cost.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
100 Wasp BroadHeads

DanO

Post by DanO »

Bowlife......no problem shipping a gun barrel across the boarder?

I have an older smooth barrel for an 870 with no taps for a scope but I need a scope (eyesight failing). I've hear a saddle mount will work. Anybody ever done this?

dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
JRS

Post by JRS »

DropTine wrote:Thats where i plan to buy it from, cabelas, do you know how much it would cost to ship? Or should i phone them.
It won't cost you anything for shipping, because Cabela's won't ship gun parts, scopes, or ammo out of the country. :(
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

I didnt have it shipped over the border. A friend of my fathers declared made a trip over and just declared it at the border, i do not believe there were any problems.

As for getting a saddle mount i have no clue.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
100 Wasp BroadHeads

DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Are you sure JRS?

I have there recent catalogue and it explains shipping to Canada and nothing is said about restrictions on shipping gun related things.
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Scott Archery Release