Everyone be careful out!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Everyone be careful out!

Post by crazyfarmer »

just a reminder.. Va posted its first hunting death this past weekend. I believe another hunter shot someone with his ML and the guy ended up dieing. I dont know all the details since I didnt catch the full story on the radio. But just a reminder, be careful and safe and no deer is worth your life or someone elses!

make sure of your target and whats behind it before you shoot
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Sorry to hear it, Crazy. :cry:

You be careful yourself.
Grizz
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

This is what happens when you allow gun hunters in the woods during archery season and when you allow the ML to be a weapon beyond it's intended use. Today the ML is a 150yd plus weapon, often out to 200 yds. Years ago it was a under 100 yds. weapon. The inlines and advancements have made it for all intents and purposes a single shot high powered rifle. Funny we have many eastern counties that are shotgun only for deer, no rifles for deer during gun but yet they allow a 200yd weapon in the woods with no blaze orange required during archery. VA has crapped on the bowhunter by allowing ML season to run concurrently with archery the last 2 weeks. This in itself creates a huge number of issues. They also this year added a second week of ML in the western parts of the state for next year. It was just the last week of archery, now they are making it like the rest of the state and allowing it for 2 weeks, or taking another week from bowhunters. You can't have the orange-less army in the woods during bow and still have it be the same. Success rates for ML are double archery and the overall kill is about 25% of the states take. That number of deer taken in what amounts to a 2 week season tells it all.
One man was killed Saturday morning following a hunting trip in Bath County.

Radcliffe Vernon, of Bath County, died around 7:30 a.m.

Game Wardens say Vernon was hunting in a wooded area near Lake Moomaw and died from an apparent gunshot. They're still trying to figure out where the gunshot came from.

Vernon's body will be sent to the medical examiner's office in Roanoke.
gnhuntin

Post by gnhuntin »

I was bow hunting before the early muzzle loading season was put into effect some 15 years ago and felt your sentiments about the ML season encroaching our bow season. I now look forward to getting the ML out for the early season. The early ML season is always the peak of the Chase and sometimes the rut - that is why the success rate is high along with the range the muzzleloaders are capable of. I bet a lot of compound archers feel / felt the same way when VA allowed crossbows last year. The more hunters the better I say, whatever it takes to get them out, our numbers are not as strong as they once were.
TYE

Post by TYE »

It honestly pisses me off that some people can be so stupid to shoot another hunter. It's plain and simple. DON'T SHOOT unless you're 100% sure of your target. That's how I have always looked at it. Some people see bushes moving so they just fire away like it's WWIII. It disgusts me to be honest.