How can i make my Exocet faster?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Michael MacDougall

How can i make my Exocet faster?

Post by Michael MacDougall »

I have an Exocet 165 lb. draw weight and currently use Easton 2213's or 2216's with a Wasp 100 grain broadhead. Does anyone use a similar set up? I guess the FPS is in the range of 265-270???

I thought of upgrading the limbs to the square tips and was told by someone at Excalibur that this may give me 15-20 fps. Any other suggestions?

Any input is apprceciated.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Using Mag Tip limbs allow you to use faster strings like Fast Flight etc. You could also shorten your shafts a bit and then there are things like using Blazer fletchings and carbon rear inserts. But why? I have an old Exocet with carve limb tips and it kills deer just fine.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

Just keep in mind no amount of speed will replce shot placement. I shoot a 175# exocet and both kills where pass throughs on mature deer. 165# is more than enough for anything in the deer woods. Any deer at 30 yards won't be able to tell you 165 from 175 or 225 for that matter.
Normous

Post by Normous »

My 1992 165lb Exocet recieved Mag tip limbs as an upgrade. Then I self machined a 1" aluminum riser extension to fit between the deck and riser (easy.) A pair of machined aluminum shims between the riser and limbs duplicated the newer angled riser. 2113's with 100 gr tips/carbon rear insert/5"vanes gave me a speedy 317 fps everytime(maybe 1500 shots) reliably using this combo. A lighter 350 grain bolt would have certainly sped over 320 fps. I'm not suggesting anyone do this, just reporting on my very successful speed project on that 92 Exocet.
Last edited by Normous on Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

Well not that many people are as resoursefull and talented as Norm. I certainly am not. I just bought a faster bow.........or two! :D
I'm keeping my old Exocet stock other than an addition of a groove for a rope cocker and Dissipater Pads.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
BUCKSHOT

A good upgrade

Post by BUCKSHOT »

enormous wrote:My 1992 165lb Exocet recieved Mag tip limbs as an upgrade. Then I self machined a 1" aluminum riser extension to fit between the deck and riser (easy.) A pair of machined aluminum shims between the riser and limbs duplicated the newer angled riser. 2113's with 100 gr tips/carbon rear insert/5"vanes gave me a speedy 317 fps everytime(maybe 1500 shots) reliably using this combo. A lighter 350 grain bolt would have certainly sped over 320 fps. I'm not suggesting anyone do this, just reporting on my very successful speed project on that 92 Exocet.
I did something similar with my Vixen, took it from 281 to 307. Sure does the trick for me with no adverse effect to the equipment or P.O.I.
I have to think that your Exocet with the magtip limbs and FFF string should be a fine upgrade.
Enjoy the Harvest!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

You can go to mag. tip limbs and a forward angle riser. With the arrow setup yer using it should get above 300 fps. I use Miss Vixen and maybe getting between 230 & 250 fps.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

Your carved limb Exocet is becoming a "classic". I wouldn't change a thing on it if it's in good condition. If you want a faster bow sell the Exocet and buy a newer, higher poundage model.
Personally, after being bitten by the "need fo speed" bug I found out my old Vixen was really plenty of speed and power for sensible hunting shots. After upgrading to a 175# Exocet I regretted selling the old Vixen. Today I use a Phoenix and every deer I've shot at with it has gone into the freezer. Speed is fine, but it doesn't replace the need to know the limitations of the crossbow and keeping shots well within those boundaries.
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

My bite for speed resulted in an Equinox. A bow that I couldn't pull repeatedly in order to practice, with a hard trigger and lots of strain on strings and bolts.
Dropped back to Vortex. More than enough speed. Faster isn't always better.