Info for new buyer.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

widowman

Info for new buyer.

Post by widowman »

Well, after watching me enjoy my time hunting with an Excal my brother has decided to invest in a crossbow as well.

As he has a liking to thumbhole stocks and is steering toward the Vortex.

I let him know that any model he chooses from excalibur will be a good buy.

While I know that the bow will be very similar to my Exocet 200, what differences should we expect?
Normous

Post by Normous »

Real AP camo and 1" shorter overall length are two differences.
Last edited by Normous on Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

No performance difference at all. The safety is easier to access on the Exocet as well.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Other than looks and 1" shorter, no difference at all. I picked the Vortex and absolutely love it.
tws75

Post by tws75 »

i got the vortex and iam very happy with it best xbow i ever owened
widowman

Post by widowman »

After reading the comments here and from previous threads, it seems that it is more difficult to access the safety.

Can someone tell me a little more? I know that my exocet has one of the easiest safeties to access. Is it just different ergonomics, maybe the thumb is a little further from the safety?

any info appreciated.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Some with smaller hands and fingers found the reach from the palm swell to the safety somewhat long, resulting in having to reposition the hand to access the safety with the Vortex. Patti, my wife at 5'6" has no such problem using her Vortex. It's an individual preference between the two.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
widowman

Post by widowman »

Well, he has gone and done it....

The order was placed today. 1 Vortex, 1 Vari-Zone Scope w/mounts and rings.

Everything else he needs, I already have.

I can't wait the 2-4 days it will take to get hear, I want to shoot it so bad.

Thanks for your replies.
VTX4

Post by VTX4 »

He will love the Vortex. With the VariZone scope, he has a very accurate combination. Congratulations for a great choice !!
Excalibur Vortex
Custom Boo String
Excal LumiZone Scope
Gold Tip Laser II Bolts
NAP Spitfire 125
Lumenocks
chessy

Post by chessy »

the only differnce i would do is buy the lumizone scope... mine has paid for itself after one deer... i would not own a crossbow with out it ever again ... you should look at them before you walk out with your purchas
tws75

Post by tws75 »

the vortex is a very good choice he will love it
widowman

Post by widowman »

He considered the Lumi-zone scope, however, the lighted reticle did not do anything for him. I think he has had problems with other lighted sights. He told me that he hates the "halo" effect he gets from lighted type sights. He was more than happy with the vari-zone.

I guess it is time for me to fletch up a few more dozen bolts.
widowman

Post by widowman »

Well the bow already came. We assembled it and it looks great. Feels great too. I now understand the issue with the safety. Not a big deal, but not the same as my exocet either.

I did have one problem, the stringer shattered when we were trying to string the bow. Scared the living crap outta me. The blue plastic piece that fits over the limbs ended up in 6 pieces. Is it possible to buy those separately?

Planning to get it sighted in before Thanksgiving dinner at noon.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Give Danny Miller, USA warranty rep for Excal a call. [740] 483-2312. Worlds nicest guy, he'll have you a replacement in no time. Fwiw: I have two of them and have used both ALOT and never had a problem.
"Eze 18:21"
widowman

Post by widowman »

Thanks for the info about the repair. I could not believe it either as I have used mine to string and unstring my bow a half a dozen times. I was a little concern about the partial dryfire, but everything looked great.

We finally had a chance to shoot it this weekend.

The first shot was 1/2" away from center. Second shot (shot at another spot), landed the same spot, 1/2" left. A quick adjustment, to the scope and the third shot hit dead center. Another 5 shots at the block target determined that the bow was not only sighted in, but it was a joy to shoot. Now, to 30 and 40 yards. 30, BAM, dead center. 40, holy cow, right in there. In total, only one adjustment to the scope was needed, SWEET! I did already have some idea of the speed ring adjustment and it was set before we even mounted the scope.

I really like the shorter stock. For late season hunts, where I wear several layers under thick coveralls, this bow would be my choice.