Deer Movement - Impact of April Freeze , Drought & Warm

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TNXBow

Deer Movement - Impact of April Freeze , Drought & Warm

Post by TNXBow »

Between the reduced mast crop caused by a hard freeze last April and the Summer drought, I have seen dramatic change in the deer movements. I see about the usual number of rubs, but very few deer. I did not know if anyone else was having that experience. I am in Tennessee. I have been asking other's experience in this area and it is quite common. We have had almost no cold weather, but that may change in the next few days.

I know they are moving in different areas for food and to this point, deer do not seem to be traveling the ridges. I suspect it's because of the lack of acorns on the oak trees that are on the tops of the ridges.

Any ideas?
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

Not see'n the activity behind the house that I seen last year,,I did manage to take two off my place this year (so far).Found out this morning that the neighbor took a lil' basket rack 6 pointer on Sunday. I had acorns on the ridge in a fair amount just not the number of deer I seen last year. Also heard that a few deer were found dead in the area a 9ptr. a 4ptr and a doe,don't know if it was the EHD deal or not.
Huntsman, rest! thy chase is done
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I don't know if it's as dry where ya'll live as it is here in East Carolina's coastal plain ... but I can tell you that the lack of water here has affected deer movement. They're still around, but they must travel much, much farther to get water this year ... all our canals and ditches are dry, and that is very unusual. The swamps are dry, and the creeks are low (they never go dry).

If I had a tank or pond on this farm, it would be a hot spot!
Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

Not seeing nearly as many deer as in most years here in southern Ohio.
I think it's a combination of factors. The heat this summer seemed to keep movement nocturnal (the coolest hours), the water supply was limited, and the acorn crop was way down this year. EHD was probably a factor, too.
I put the feeder out in August and the feeding activity has been almost strictly nocturnal. I've fed them over 1,000# of corn so far, but seen very few deer at the feeder during daylight hours. It was too dry to get a food plot to grow this summer. We tried chicory, but the deer kept what little bit that came up trimmed at ground level.
wabi
TNXBow

Post by TNXBow »

I agree, most of the activity has to be at night. Hopefully some cold weather will change that. I have been out 12 mornings and have seen deer only once. Last year I was covered up in the same location. No evidence of EHD in this immediate area.
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

I just wish I could leave the eastern part of the state,,,,I am thinking about move'n around the Fall Creek Falls area. Then I'd be closer to AEDC, Ft. Campbell, :P
Huntsman, rest! thy chase is done
grizzly-v

Post by grizzly-v »

Something has changed the way they move, but I got a nice spike on opening day of gun season just over 120 lb. First time I have ever got a deer on opening day. :) :)
Time to get back to the HUNT! Vic
Excalibur Exomax
Goldtip laser-2 graphite