VBA - They still don't get it.........

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BigBird-VA

VBA - They still don't get it.........

Post by BigBird-VA »

VBA or the Virginia Bowhunters Association had their hunting VP come on another site and post about the recent change the VDGIF made allowing muzzle loaders into another week of archery season west of the Blue ridge in VA. I'm still trying to figure out how it can be single shot high power rifle season and bow season at the same time? Here's his message to VDGIF which includes a part where he's still beating a dead horse over xbow legalization VA did a couple of years ago. They just don't get it do they? Total archers or people that WANT archery season to stay the way it is or get better has increased since xbows became legal. Conventional archery has not done that in VA for some time.

He's worried about "safety considerations" with xbows? Haven't seen anyone shot or killed with one yet in VA. Have with ML. Wait till ML use requires orange in archery and then see which causes problems.
It is good to see so much discussion and passion about the loss of a week of the Archery Season to the ML season west of the Blue Ridge. As the Hunting Vice President of the VBA, I represented bowhunters via individual discussions with VDGIF staff and multiple trips to VDGIF Board Meetings where I spoke about this issue. I can say that many listened with interest and agreement, but in the end it was the vote that counted and the vote was against us.

I think the trend driving encroachments on the archery season and the imposition of other weapons (Xbow) into the season are diven by the fact that VDGIF revenues are down because the number of hunters is declining. As a result, the Agency will do all in its power to raise and conserve funds. That is not a bad thing because as they lose funds they will need to cut back services and may even have to cancel some fishing/hunting seasons. However, all improvements should not come at the expense of the bowhunter.

The VBA has enjoyed much success over the years with the VDGIF and we are committed to continued engagement. The VBA has already reached out to individual Commissioners and will pursue an increased proactive strategy that will place VBA proposals on the agenda in addition to those that get on the agenda and cause us to react. Some ideas are already in the works and this will be the focus of the next VBA Hunting Commitee meeting in January. My recommendtion to all VA Bowhunters is to join a VBA Club or join the VBA as a affilliate bowhunter. Numbers do matter when it comes to representing an organization.

I am not much of a blogger (job, travel, etc.) and will likely not contribute more until we have developed VBA recommendations to the VDGIF. If you want to be part of that process, join us! If you have suggestions, visit our web site. In the meantime, enjoy the woods and be safe.

For your information, below is the text of my entry to the VDGIF web site on the issue. And, I used these thoughts as the basis of my expanded verbal remarks to the full VDGIF Board of Commissioners.

BEGIN TEXT

This entry is provided in my capacity as the Hunting Vice President for the Virginia Bowhunters Association and was authorized by officials from the various VBA Clubs at a meeting in Harrisonburg on Sep 23. It is the formal position of the organization that represents hundreds of VBA members and by extension also represents the views of thousands of hunters who have purchased archery licenses.

This proposal is not supported because it results in the loss of a week of the early archery season. There have been other encroachments on the season since it was established, most notably a loss of time to the blackpowder season and the addition of crossbows – a device with safety considerations not consistent with the archery experience.

The loss of this week reduces the precious time an archer has in the woods to hunt deer that are not yet alerted by the sound of gunfire. The VBA was instrumental in working with the VDGIF years ago to establish an early archery season and one of the primary reasons cited by both parties was the opportunity for hunters to pursue game before they were “spooked” by gunfire and forced off their normal movement patterns. Approval of this proposal would obviously change that dynamic for a significant percentage of the early archery season.

Additionally, this proposal would impact one of the most important weeks in the early archery season because it involves a prime week when the weather begins to cool. The early season, especially the first two weeks, is frequently marked by high temperatures that make hunting difficult and that also make timely recovery of game critical lest meat spoil. Moving the blackpowder season into the last part of the early archery season encroaches on the most favorable weather week of the period and significantly changes the quality of the archery-only experience.

Adding a week to the early part of the season to compensate for the loss of the week to blackpowder would be better than nothing, but it is far from ideal because it would be added to September when heat is an even greater factor. For this reason, we oppose that option now as a viable alternative.

Our position is that the other archery-related proposals recommended this year should be accepted and this one should be rejected. The two years before the next revision period can be used to judge the overall impact of the changes implemented and the VBA can work with the VDGIF to examine alternatives that will help manage the heard west of the Blue Ridge and at the same time preserve the unique archery hunting experience.
END TEXT
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

What a goof is 100% on the money. If he really did spek for all then the VDGIF would listen to them and we wouldn't have had ML season put on top of or during archery. How can it be gun and archery too? Like having a fishing season as they drain the lake. When increased numbers enter into a season and things start going boom it's not archery any longer. We also had a fatality this year in ML so I expect orange to be an issue soon too. If so thank the ML guys for that. And it's all directly related to a ML is not a 200yd single shot rifle. People are willing to take a shot that far and it also goes a lot farther if one misses. Last I heard they do not know who shot and killed the guy last week. One more ML accident and it will change to orange for all.
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

Archery has it's own season separate from ML. Then they took ML and moved it into or during the same time period as archery. It can't be both. One cancels out the chances for the other by the numbers of hunters and the danger of getting shot. It goes against all the reasons archery season was created. Yet they keep chipping away at our time. As it stands now orange is not required during ML, just general gun. When numbers go up, accidents do to. When they have enough it will be orange army season during bow here.
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

It is a shame that guy is supposedly representing me. Someome needs to start a org. for bow hunters who do not agree with his selfish views or any of the other nut case vert. archers out there. He is motivated to keep xbows out so the money keeps going to the vert bow market, nothing else. He is against muzzle loaders being allowed during the last week of archery because he probably fears, in some screwed up twisted way that it will mean a loss of money for the vert bow market too. I can agree there is an issue with safety but if hunters were responsible about the shots they took there would be no issue. Plus people still get shot every year with orange on anyway and also with no orange while only bows are being used. It is a chance everyone willingly takes everytime they enter the woods. Orange doesn't spook deer anyway so even if it was required for the last two weeks of archery, I wouldn't see any harm.

The place I hunt is always crowded and dangerous. They do not honor the muzzleloader season so I get two extra weeks of bow hunting. From my observations guns do not spook the deer at all. They don't even flinch when the crack of a gun is heard nearby. It is actualy the large increase of hunters taking to the woods that spooks them. If they see or smell a hunter every time they get up and leave their beds they are going to change their habbits to try and avoid the unwanted run-ins. I think that muzzleloader and bow hunters should be able to coexist and share their seasons. Sure muzzleloaders will have a better success rate because the range is 5 times greater than archery but it won't ruin the bow hunters chances. Atleast 85% of the deer I have taken with a gun while wearing orange were within archery ranges so I know it is more than possible to have great success with archery equipment during any point in the season. I wish archery hunters would grow to be as large as gun hunters so I could see this VP's comments then. Would he be happy for all the money coming in, or would he fight to reduce the number of hunters so the hunting oppertunities were better and the deer were less spooked? Which of his two most important greeds would win? I would bet both, he would take the money and buy a farm somewhere that he could hunt exclusively, making prime hunting available for himself and saying screw everyone else.

What worries me is that the VDGIF is making this new season for no apparent reason except to slaughter more deer. Non hunters arn't all of the sudden going to jump up and say I need to start hunting because there is now an extra week of M.L. season. Lisence revenues are going to remain about same. The only thing that will change is the number of deer taken which is only going to result in the eventual loss of hunting seasons and bag limits as populations become fewer and fewer. It has allready started where I hunt. :cry: I would say that I am not in favor of the extra week of ML because I don't want to see any more deer being shot than there have been in the past. I could care less about conflicts between hunters using different methods because they are all being greedy. There are a lot of woods out there and a ton of deer. It all comes down to luck in the end no matter what your weapon is. If you are convinced that you couldn't shoot a deer with your bow because someone else went out there and shot them all or scared them all away with their M.L., then you have some major issues, much like the guy with the bow org.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.