Mechanicals - a word of caution

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Mechanicals - a word of caution

Post by wabi »

I've tried a lot of different mechanical broadheads over the years and only one gave me the performance I was looking for from my crossbow. I tried some with bands and some without. Some highly recommended brand names, and some relatively unknown brands (Cabela's for example). The Wasp JakHammer was the only one that shot & performed flawlessly. Out of my old Excalibur Vixen I got great accuracy, devestating wound, no problems at all. I killed several deer with that crossbow & JakHammers.
Then I bought an Exocet (175#) and when I tried the JakHammers (on a foam target) they sometimes opened in flight and went way off target. I tried double banding and the problem was solved. Still opened on impact, and no opening in flight. I killed a few deer with this combination then decided the Phoenix was the crossbow I needed when it was introduced, so I sold the Exocet and purchased a Phoenix.
Stuck with the double-banded JakHammer and it still worked great, until this shot (18 yards - slight quartering away - and I aimed to get the heart).
Sorry for the poor pic, the person taking the pic was unfamiliar with my camera, then the battery died before we could get a better pic. :(

Yes, I recovered the deer and the trail was short as usual. In field dressing it I noticed the hole through the heart was a bit small, but didn't really give it much thought. I had a dead deer to transport to the check station and get to the processor and time was running out, so I didn't spend time on an autopsy. :lol:
The next morning I went back to the kill site and looked for the arrow. I found it about 10 yards beyond where the buck had been standing when I shot. I picked up the arrow and didn't believe my eyes!

The broadhead was still banded and in the closed position!!!!!!!
Closer examination revealed that nothing seemed to be wrong with the broadhead.

I rolled the bands back and the blades were free to open (and DID open easily). With the bands back in place I tried opening the blades with my finger tip and they seem to be the same as the blades on a brand-new JakHammer (which this was). I ALWAYS check ALL broadheads before I use them and this head had given no indication of flaws or defects (and still looks good).
It just failed to open!!!!!!!!! Not only on entry, but going through the tough heart muscle and going through between ribs on exit. About the only unusual thing about this kill was that I didn't hit bone on entry or exit. It entered between ribs and did the same on exit.
I'm not saying mechanicals are not good broadheads, but I am convinced all mechanical devices are subject to failure, and a broadhead is no exception!
From now on I will be hunting with fixed blade heads. If you stick with your mechanicals I hope you don't have a problem like I did, but if you do I hope you will come forward and tell of any bad experiences, too.
wabi
bobbyvee

Post by bobbyvee »

Very good advice and I think that may be the reason that some states still do not allow the use of mechanical broadheads. I personally use Scorpions and have never had a failure (6 years), even practice with them with my recurve @ 52#s. I think that whenever you add moving parts into an equation you have the possibility of a malfunction, and your pictures show just what a failure can mean. Luckily you made a great shot and the deer went down quickly. I have tried my Scorpions in my Equinox (only on targets), I started out double banding and migrated to a single band, just to see if they worked and I have had good success using just a single “O” ring. The Scorpions “O” ring is down on the base of the head, within a 1/32” to the shaft and maybe that is why I have had good luck. Just a thought? :idea:
Bob Veracka
Callaway MD
ranger66

Post by ranger66 »

I had the same experience about 4 years ago when I took a 30yrd shot on a deer with my Horton, the deer did the classic mule kick and I thought I had my deer, until I watched it run about 300yrds across an open field to where a buddy was setup, and he nailed it too but his shot was high and almost spined it, and the deer went another 50yrds before piling up. Upon looking at the deer I noticed that the hole was kinda small and when we gutted it there was like a pencil hole through both lungs and I was real confused, but came to the conclusion that my Jakhammer did not open either, and mine was only one band. I have also had good luck wit this broadhead and had real good entrance and exit holes and blood trials until the last deer I shot with the jakhammer and that was the last time I used those broadheads. Fixed blade from then on. I never did find my arrow to confirm it not opening but everything looked like it didnt open, I should have had a gaping hole in and out those jakhammers. It's too bad that happened, I really liked those broadheads. I now own an Exomax and an Exocet and wouldn't think about mechanicals with those bows.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I use fixed blades for the same reason I use an Exocet. Simple works.

A fixed blade broadhead will always work if placed properly.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Boo

Post by Boo »

Geeeeze Wabi, if you weren't such a good shot you would have lost that animal. I still like the Jackahammers but there are so many great fixed heads around now a days.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Dimteni

Post by Dimteni »

Now I am concerned after reading all this about mechanicals. I just bought a pack of G5 Tekan II mechanicals and am questioning whether that was the right choice. I go for a week of hunting starting tomorrow. Hope they work!!
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

the wasp boss's that come with the bow do a number on anything...need to get some more for next season 8)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I reckon anything can fail! Now if it happened say once every 10 shots i would worry about the B'Head. Like you said it didn't hit any ribs and it was double banded. Using one band they open in flite, have you tried one band up at the front notch to see if it would hold. Instead of the rear notch?

Congrats on the good Buck!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Yup, that deer was saved by a very well placed shot, nice one Wabi.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wabi

Post by wabi »

smokepolehall wrote:I reckon anything can fail! Now if it happened say once every 10 shots i would worry about the B'Head. Like you said it didn't hit any ribs and it was double banded. Using one band they open in flite, have you tried one band up at the front notch to see if it would hold. Instead of the rear notch?

Congrats on the good Buck!
The front notch is designed to hold the blades closed for target practice. A piece of dental floss tied there and you can shoot them into foam without them opening.
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Try small profile four bladed fixed like the Slick Trick mag. Fly like a mechanical that didn't open, kill like one that did.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I quit using the Jackhammers although I think they are an excellent head. I just could not bring myself to double band them.

I've used Wasp SST Hammers (fixed) in 100 grain the last 5 years and they work well.

I switched over to NAP Spitfires in 100 grains this year. They are mechanicals but do not use a band. I have not shot anything with them yet, but I do believe that they will do the job when called upon.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

2 brands that work well..

Rage and NAP

I tried mechanicals for the first time this year and the one deer I shot the Rage head did a HELLOVA number on. Rage has a band, but its a shock absorber and doesnt really effect the blades. NAP doesnt have any at all but the rage ones flew 2 times better for me.

I think this is why you dont find many that shoot any heads that have bands anymore :lol: