Razorcaps and aluminium bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

pduran

Razorcaps and aluminium bolts

Post by pduran »

Hi

What's your experience with RazorCaps blades (125grains)? Are they accurate?

I always used carbon bolts with some blades (dont know the make) but i'd like to try something heavier for more impact.
Do you think is a good idea to shoot these RazorCaps blades with a 2219 aluminium crossbolt (405grains). Will it be too heavy (530gr) for my Phoenix?

For sure i'll loose some speed but have more impact. For wild hogs, the loss of speed shouldnt be a problem.

I'v just bought them and havent tried yet...

I'd like to know you oppinion about this.

Thanks
Paulo Ferreira
TYE

Post by TYE »

I've shot 125gr broadheads on 2219 shafts from the Phoenix I had, and they shot great. Nice and quiet too! lol

Little slower than my Beman Thunderbolts went.

I've never tried those broadheads though so I don't know what to tell you.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I've only used the 100 grain Razorcaps on my Xbows. The fly great. I've cut off quite a few fletchings from 30 yards with those.
If you learn to sharpen them (they come pretty dull) they should do well on anything. They don't have quite the 3:1 ratio for ultimate cutting but they are close.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

why re-invent the wheel?
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Jay, the Woodsman is the wheel.
pduran

disapointed

Post by pduran »

Hi

Finaly tested the razorcaps 125 with aluminium 2219 this weekend...
couldnt be worst!!
They hit the target between 15-20 cm to the right when comparing with the same bolt but with practice head (125 gr too).
I've tried 3 bolts and the 3 razorcaps blades and they all have the same problem.

All i've read was that these where very good blades.

Any ideas? What can be wrong???

Thanks
Paulo
widowman

Post by widowman »

Try spin testing the heads. If the head is not perfectly aligned with the shaft and nock, it will not fly straight.

Other than that, Ive had success with any shaft I have shot. Also, different broadhead combinations.
pduran

Post by pduran »

Hi widowman

can you please give me some details on how to do that spin test? And about the alignement, how shoult it be?

Thanks
Paulo
Boo

Post by Boo »

Pduran, are your arrows going consistently to the right by about half an inch? What distance are you shooting?
pduran

Post by pduran »

With the training heads they hit the target at 30 meters. I can get the 3 shots in the area of a 2Euro coin.
then i change to Razorcaps and they hit 6-8 inches to the right and 1-2 inches up.
I user 3 blades and 3 bolts.

theres must be something wrong with the razorcap blades!

thanks
Paulo
Boo

Post by Boo »

I wouldn't say that about the blades. You may find pretty much the same with other broadheads. Your bow is being picky as it were. Not much different from a fire arm that does not like to shoot different ammo the same or with the same accuracy. I was shooting 100 gr Razor caps at 30 yards and was slicing my fletchings and a shaft. They were off less than half an inch to one side. Have you tried a different brace height? All bows have a sweet spot where all the involved components work together the best. You may have to try a different broadhead. I know why you want to use the Razorcap. Have you looked at the G5 Striker? It is a cut on contact broadhead but the cutting angle is more abrupt.
wabi

Post by wabi »

If the razorcaps are all grouping together (even though not with field points) it would make me think perhaps it an arrow problem. To be more exact - probably not enough FOC, or possibly the fletching doesn't have enough helical. If they group well it indicates the broadheads themselves are probably fine - just not a good match to your bow/arrows.
wabi
Boo

Post by Boo »

Your right Wabi, could be. I use a helical clamp with as much offset as I can get on the Blazers.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Boo,
The only broadhead I've found that flies to the same POI as field points with my bow is G-5 Montecs. The SlickTricks are close, but slightly low/left. This was with a 4° helical and carbons (GolTips). With 8° they both hit right with field points.
Last year I went back to aluminums and the Montecs are still grouping right with field points with a 4° helical and 2" Blazers. Haven't tried the SlickTricks with this setup.
wabi