Tagged 2, Friday Morning

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ranger66

Tagged 2, Friday Morning

Post by ranger66 »

I knew I had bought additonal tags(3) for some reason. I had been waiting to hunt this field since the snow came and the wind was right, and Friday was the day. I parked my truck at the road and made the trek down the snowmobiled trail and then into the woods to the bottom end of this field. When walking in I could clearly see a main trial that headed too and from the swamp, so I set up about 20 yards downwind. As daybreak arrived I could seee deer at the other end of the field about 250 yards out, there were 8 and as it got lighter out I could see a doe and 2 fawns ahead of the pack heading down the trail and when she got about 30 yards out she sensed something wasn't right and began to circle me to get down wind, but I wasn't gonna let that happen, when she got 25 yards may Excalibur found its mark and she bounded off only to make it about 80 yards from where she was shot and dropped in the field. The other deer didnt know what was going on and stayed in the field, within minutes I see another doe and fawn coming down the same trail, so I reloaded the xbow and when she got to the 20 yard danger zone, she too was now about to be flatlined, she only made it 30 yards and dropped in the field. I promptly got on the cell phone to my dad and told him he better come with the snowmobile and I explained to him the hunt. He and Mom showed up with the sled and and sleigh in tow. Man I was 10 feet tall, I couldn't believe that I just got 2 nice does. All of this happended from the ground, I like better hunting deer on their level besides I am not a big fan of heights.

Normous

Post by Normous »

Great story and photos
Merry Christmas to Mr. 10 foot tall!!!!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
Looks like hunting from the ground isn't all that big of a disadvantage if you set up in the right spot.
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Excellent job!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Congrats on two nice does. What camo are you wearing? Looks like fleece/wool. Where did you get it??
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
DanO

Post by DanO »

I've tried the ground blind setup but to no availe. I think I move too much. You seem to have it down. What do you sit behind or on?

I know part of the plan is the surprise of you being there.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on the nanny double!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Those look like two nice size does Ranger. When hunting is hot, its hot, likely the fastest tag out you've had, eh?

Grey Owl
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

GOOD JOB!! That's how to get it done! :D

CONGRATULATIONS!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
xbhntr

Two does down!

Post by xbhntr »

Great shooting and patience ! Ray.
ranger66

Post by ranger66 »

DanO wrote:I've tried the ground blind setup but to no availe. I think I move too much. You seem to have it down. What do you sit behind or on?

I know part of the plan is the surprise of you being there.

Dan O.
I dont use a blind just natural cover, mostly I just hide in plain site, seems to work for me. with these two I was about 8 ft of the edge of the field in plain view up next to a maple. The winter camo is the the best, I dont know how many times I have just sat by a tree or on the edge of a field with no cover, they don't seem to bother with me. But the odd time I will get busted for some little movement
ranger66

Post by ranger66 »

chris4570 wrote:Congrats on two nice does. What camo are you wearing? Looks like fleece/wool. Where did you get it??
The local store near hanover had some ordered in from Cabela's, its sort of a fleece, keeps me a little warmer too.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Good job
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Congratulations Ranger,
In December I hunt using the same tactics you use. Yesterday I was out all day. Deer were in the fields at 6:30 and saw a total of 10 yesterday. 6 in the field before shooting light, a 4 pointer and a doe at 9:00 but no clear shot on the doe, a monster rack at 300 yards at 1:15 and a 6 point at 33 yards at 5:05. The six point kept me on my stand for 40 minutes as he would not leave. I am going to call him Lucky as I hunting only doe now. I have shot 4 bucks in two years of this property and no doe. I can not continue to shoot just bucks.

Dan O
If you are moving too much you may be too cold. Take a look at your gear. If you are warm and dry you will just snuggle in. I set up no ground blinds and use a snow camo on top and regual gamo on the bottom. It really breaks up the outline. You can see the gear on R.J.'s Late Goose Hunt pictures. Take a stool with the legs cut off to about 10 inches or camo stool to sit on. Back up against a good sized tree and just relax, doze, think about anything you want but stay warm. Trust your instincts to give you the heads up when the deer come in. You can get away with a huge amount of movement. The forest is always moving, birds, squirrels, coyotes, wind give the action and cover our small movements. I even take a thermos on stand and have a lunch as well. It is the wind that is so important. You need to understand the wind currents 40 and 50 yards downstream from your set up. Stay mobile and do not warry about a fixed blind. A fixed blind giv you a pattern and makes you predicable. Mobility allow you to set up anywhere in just few minutes and use the wind to your full advantage. Just some tips that work for me. Apply what you feel comfortable with and realize we are all working on improving our game. I certainly am not the hunter I was even a few years ago.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
ranger66

Post by ranger66 »

GREY OWL wrote:Those look like two nice size does Ranger. When hunting is hot, its hot, likely the fastest tag out you've had, eh?

Grey Owl
Ya they are 2 nice does, one 1 I bet weighs close to 160, when we pulling her up on the pulley for hangin she almost lifted dad off his feet. Tagged out, not yet, I still have one more tag and unless I see I big buck I will eat this tag. I have lots of meat, and these will mostly be used for summer sausage and pepperettes. If I dont fill my last tag oh well it was a great season, I got another deer(fawn) with my excalibur about 2 weeks ago(no pics) and in the gun hunt we ended up with 9 deer for 10 people, I shot 2 of those 9 one with my rifle and one with my new Muzzleloader. THis is my muzzlerloader deer I got in the shotgun zone.