Bucks are drop'n 'em

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fishn-Hunter

Bucks are drop'n 'em

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

Well last night I recieved a call from my brother inlaw, he made a shot at a deer. I imediately dropped everything to assist him. When I arrived at his hunting area he and his buddy had already taken up the trail. They found the deer within 75 yards of where he was hit. He thought he got himself a nice big doe but turns out it was a buck that had dropped both sides of his rack. We later weighed him at 190lbs field dressed, nice big deer, first for him this year. I feel bad for him because I knew how bad he wanted to get a buck bigger than 1 1/2 year 6pt. He has been bowhunting for many years now and he hunts very hard and smart and scouts as hard as anyone. The were dried blood scabs where the antlers had been, just wondering about the odds of finding his sheds. Its hard to say how long ago he had lost them or how large an area one would have to search to find them but any ideas are more than welcome. This was the largest deer he has ever had the oportunity to take and would make a perfect ending to his very frustrating season to reunite his deer with the sheds.
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

look for the rub trees and around the bedding area if the locations are some what known,,good luck on that hunt
Huntsman, rest! thy chase is done
rutman

Post by rutman »

Congrats to him!
Sorry about the sheds!
Good luck on the quest
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
watamach

Post by watamach »

Check the bedding areas if you know where they are on the property you hunt. I hunt all over WMU 80 and found fresh sheds in Arthur and St Agatha already also. We walked a bush last week and thought we shot a huge doe and it too ended up being 6 pt big buck with no antlers. I found the left side shed by back tracking to the bedding area he was laying in but no right around the bed was found.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i know of 1-2 here that have dropped also.... im wondering if the drought this year may have effected them somemore also.

i'd like to see season extended here like alot of other places have, but the big downside is that most will drop their antlers here so I would hate seeing bucks killed without their racks :(
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Interestingly, in Minnesota that counts as a DOE kill. (Takes measurable horns to count as buck) So he could still be hunting here if he had both tags.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Cossack wrote:Interestingly, in Minnesota that counts as a DOE kill. (Takes measurable horns to count as buck) So he could still be hunting here if he had both tags.
same here in Va... no visible antlers out past the hairline and its a doe or button buck(same as doe)

but it suks to kill something with huge holes in his head cause you wonder what he was :(
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Same in Ohio, it would count as a doe.
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

Thanx for the good advice fellas we are gunna walk the bush tomorrow so hopefully it will turn up something. He did have pretty good size holes on his head and lots of grey through his face, neck and patches on his body. I would say he was a pretty mature deer but I am no expert. His back teeth seemed pretty short, just about gum level.
Fishn-Hunter
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

Well we went over 1 near by bedding area and feeder trail's too and from, and feel pretty confident we covered it well and came up with nothing. Though discouraged we are not giving up as there are 2 other bedding area's to check out, now we just need more time to check them. Funny how work seems to get in the way of things. Stay tuned
Fishn-Hunter