Coyote Pup

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

ecoaster wrote:I have nothing against shooting any animal, but to take a pup out to the woods, to use it to attract other yotes, and then shoot the pup anyway, come on.

Just shoot the damn thing if you don't want it to grow up and eat something. Not a very humane way to treat any animal if you ask me. Sounds like there are a few guys here who used to like pulling legs off spiders and wings off flies. :roll:

How many of you would take a newborn fawn out to the woods, make it squeal, shoot the doe that comes in and then the fawn once it has served it's purpose???

Spend $20 on a predator call if you want to hunt yotes.
Ditto!!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

I took the pup out to the stand today and released it. I didn't have to stake it out there, it just hung around at the base of the stand whining and howling. It got the attention of one coyote, but once the lead started flying, the pup took off into the woods where it will likely grow up to eat my turkeys.

Here's today's contestant:

Another(same coyote):

Here's one of me in the stand:

Canadian Hunter

Post by Canadian Hunter »

chris4570 wrote:
ecoaster wrote:I have nothing against shooting any animal, but to take a pup out to the woods, to use it to attract other yotes, and then shoot the pup anyway, come on.

Just shoot the damn thing if you don't want it to grow up and eat something. Not a very humane way to treat any animal if you ask me. Sounds like there are a few guys here who used to like pulling legs off spiders and wings off flies. :roll:

How many of you would take a newborn fawn out to the woods, make it squeal, shoot the doe that comes in and then the fawn once it has served it's purpose???

Spend $20 on a predator call if you want to hunt yotes.
Ditto!!

I think the same way I wouldnt even shoot it call the MNR or whatever its called downthere and get them to come pick it up yowouldnt want someone shooting your offspring if they found it why do it to something else

P.S when i seen your pic i thought it was the pup and i almost threw-up
Exocet 200
Vari-Zone Scope
Wasp Broadheads
Goldtip LazerII Shafts
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

We went from comparing a coyote pup to a baby deer, then to a human child???
If it is legal to use live animals as bait it is still hunting and he is in his rights to do so. Fisherman have been doing it since the beginning of time.
I can certainly understand how some people would not agree with it, but with the other forms of hunting out there that somehow managed to be considered legal like small bush deer drives, or deer hunting with dogs this is just another way to get the job done.

In my short lived experience with hunting I have seen and heard some crazy stuff, but the thing that bothers me the most is when hunters crack down on other hunters for doing something that is legal.
I think hunting should be done from the ground on equal terms with your quarry, enter it's space quietly and try to out smart it, that is hunting in my eyes. To take a stand against another hunter would make me a hypocrite, but if I went down that road I would start with the guys driving deer with dogs and waiting for a running deer to come at me because it has no other choice and then go home trying to feel like I did something good, but I won't even bring that up. Oops. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
huntman

Post by huntman »

Pydpiper wrote:We went from comparing a coyote pup to a baby deer, then to a human child???
If it is legal to use live animals as bait it is still hunting and he is in his rights to do so. Fisherman have been doing it since the beginning of time.
I can certainly understand how some people would not agree with it, but with the other forms of hunting out there that somehow managed to be considered legal like small bush deer drives, or deer hunting with dogs this is just another way to get the job done.

In my short lived experience with hunting I have seen and heard some crazy stuff, but the thing that bothers me the most is when hunters crack down on other hunters for doing something that is legal.
I think hunting should be done from the ground on equal terms with your quarry, enter it's space quietly and try to out smart it, that is hunting in my eyes. To take a stand against another hunter would make me a hypocrite, but if I went down that road I would start with the guys driving deer with dogs and waiting for a running deer to come at me because it has no other choice and then go home trying to feel like I did something good, but I won't even bring that up. Oops. :D
Well Said i agree!

Canadian Hunter said he almost "threw up" thinking that was the pup in the pic!!! But the fact that it was its mom or dad or brother etc is fine? To me that is being a hypocrite!

I personally have no problems with what Big Tiny did or what he intended to do.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Deleted in the interest of goodwill. :D
Last edited by Grizzly Adam on Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Boo

Post by Boo »

This post is becoming another one of those retarded threads that is going no where. Big Tiny said he let it loose so let's leave it at that.
I certainly have a few things to say but I won't say it. There have been a few good guys leave this forum over a thread or two that got carried away and that wasn't right.
Have a good day boys!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

OK, well I missed a couple of days on the computer and I come back to find disharmony amongst the ranks! To clarify, the pics I posted are of a dead adult coyote. It's not a very good one as I took it thru my scope, but it was dark when I left, so no close-up. I have a good close-up of the one I shot with the '06 the week before, but he landed exit-wound up, and I would hate to cause anyone peristaltic distress. :)

The pup was taken out with the intention of using him to attract other coyotes. I would have tied him out, but since he turned out to be older than I thought, that wasn't to be(that's why they call 'em wild). So I just released him at the base of the stand and hoped for the best. As it turned out, I shot one and released one.

Live baiting is used by dangerous-game hunters in Africa(they use goats) and has been used to hunt predators for centuries. My great-grandad used to tie out a chicken behind the barn and spend the night waiting on a coyote or fox which had been eating his stock. Nobody complained about the chicken's treatment then, so I don't have a problem using the same technique to kill a nuisance predator now. So that's my rationale behind doing what I did, and I would do it again. Maybe I wouldn't post it...
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Must be huntin' season is over and all the wackos, who don't have anything else to do, are coming out of the woodwork. Get a life! Both the folks that waded into this spit pool and the poster who started this then pretended he was after feedback about what the was going to do anyway.
The coyote lives, short live the coyote....if I can help it.
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

Cossack wrote:Could let him play on the freeway. :lol:
I wasn't pretending to want input, the above post was the last one I saw before going to bed. You will notice I stay up late if you look at the time it was posted, and I said earlier in the thread I was going out the next day and that I had no interest in keeping a wild animal.

My main interest in posting was to ascertain whether anyone else had tried this and if it was effective and ethical.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Cossack wrote:Must be huntin' season is over and all the wackos, who don't have anything else to do, are coming out of the woodwork. Get a life! Both the folks that waded into this spit pool and the poster who started this then pretended he was after feedback about what the was going to do anyway.
The coyote lives, short live the coyote....if I can help it.
Cassack
You might notice that nobody came out of the woodwork. All posting members on this tread have a great number of posts (most have more than you) and spend time here regularly. Calling them wackos who don't have anything else to do is not fair.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

Cossak, I for one do not see how Big Tiny pretended anything. As well your wide strafing caustic comments are way out of place as usual. I asked that we leave this alone, why did you have to stir things up? Lets leave this alone!
huntman

Post by huntman »

i have better things to do then comment on nuisance
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Boo wrote: Lets leave this alone!
Don, I agree ... this thread is dead. As a gesture of cooperation, I deleted my own reply to a comment I thought inappropriate in the interest of our continued interaction and goodwill.

I was aggravated at what was said; and I do think it was out of line, as are some other posts on this thread ... but I'm willing to pull in my horns for the sake of us all.

I think your idea is best: let's all leave this one be.

We're all friends here and I continue to think this is the best forum I've ever been a part of; let's keep it that way. :D
Grizz
Boo

Post by Boo »

As I've said to you before Griz, you are a good man!