Hunting withdrawals

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

Hunting withdrawals

Post by raydaughety »

Does anyone have a cure for after season withdrawals? Tyler and I woke up around 4:30 am. I guess it's a Saturday morning habit that will take some time to subside :roll: . Anyhow, when it warms up a bit we may go for a ride on the 4 wheelers or see if we can shoot a couple of squirrels. @ .19 degrees, I'm not going anywhere soon :wink:

God Bless to all,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I found it easiest to just keep hunting! Deer season is over but the door is wide open (around here) for Coyotes, I may just dedicate a bunch of time to mastering the art of predator hunting.
Crows are wide open too, I have found them to be a pretty challenging hunt as well, but either of them will taste very good. :wink:
You could always do some early scouting for the spring turkey hunt.. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
TPM

Post by TPM »

Pydiper, don't forget rabbits are open around here until the end of February. :D
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Don't get me wrong ... I love to deer hunt, but I've always found it to be a bit of a relief when deer season's over, because it frees me to enjoy the outdoors without constantly thinking of deer hunting opportunities. There is much more to God's wonderful outdoors than just deer ... and I tend to be so preoccupied with deer during the season (when I'm hunting) that I miss out on a lot of other stuff.

I like other sorts of hunting ... and fishing, too.

I like to go out and build a day camp ... make some coffee, cook some grub ... take along the flinter or my Single-Six and do some shooting ... that sort of thing.

I also like to work outside, clearing trails and cutting brush and keeping things trimmed up ... but you can't do that when hunkered in a deer blind or sitting on a bucket.

So ... I look at these months as a time to relax and enjoy my woods and fields free from preoccupation ... as the biblical saying goes, "To everything there is a season; a time to ..."

By way of confession, let me admit that there was a time when I didn't do the deer hunting ... the deer hunting did me ... and I am past it now. I used to be obsessed. My poor wife was a six-month widow for the first years of our marriage ... I didn't even think about her coming home to an empty house and waiting for me to get home at dark-thirty or later. Not that we had any problem over it, but I'm sorry I let it get hold of me to that extent ... and it never will again.

All things in moderation. If I never killed another one, I've been given more than my share, and more than many.

This is a time for other things ... and among those are shed-hunting, scouting, stand-building, and such! See? It's never really "over." :wink:

By the way ... I saw five "survivors" this morning, forced out into my wheat fields by the cold. I tried to get some pics, but it was too far away and the camera wouldn't focus through the window as the sun was in front of me. Taking wildlife pics is something else I like to do ... hunting without butchering, if you will!
Grizz
rutman

Post by rutman »

I love the fact that I can shower with normal shampoo that doesn't give me dry scalp. I love being able to eat spicy stinky gassy food again. I love not having to rush to get ready and get to the stand.
I hate however not to be able to have that, this is the day anticipation. :cry:
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I can't find rabbits anywhere, I know of one small trail but never seen anything on it in the hundreds of times I crossed it during deer season..
I am going to try goose hunting for my first time later today. :D
TPM wrote:Pydiper, don't forget rabbits are open around here until the end of February. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I think that we decided to float the river, looking for squirrels and jigging for crappies :wink:

See Ya and God Bless,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Ice fishing and spearing too. Spearing is almost like hunting, the game comes in silently and watches the decoy wearily. We can even use live decoys (large suckers). Same anticipation and suspense and the action happens at only 6 feet. You get to watch the parade of other species go by. You can stink all you want; even listen to the radio. I don't particularly like northers (Jacks, eh) so I practice a lot of pre-catch release.
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

Smallmouth Fish'n from the Kayak,,,,,
Huntsman, rest! thy chase is done
TPM

Post by TPM »

By way of confession, let me admit that there was a time when I didn't do the deer hunting ... the deer hunting did me ... and I am past it now. I used to be obsessed. My poor wife was a six-month widow for the first years of our marriage ... I didn't even think about her coming home to an empty house and waiting for me to get home at dark-thirty or later. Not that we had any problem over it, but I'm sorry I let it get hold of me to that extent ... and it never will again.

All things in moderation. If I never killed another one, I've been given more than my share, and more than many.
Amen Brother Grizz! I love hunting and all things outdoors. It's a huge part of my life but not the only part. I get plenty of time afield, whether it's chasing upland birds, waterfowl, big game or small game but I still try to maintain a "family first" balance in my life. I am lucky in that a lot of our outdoors pursuits can be shared as a family especially with our son getting older to the point where he enjoys tromping through the fields and bush.
I do feel some relief when deer season ends but mostly because we can finally put away the copious amounts fo gear that has occupied many parts of the house and van from October through December. :D
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Normous

Post by Normous »

Now that the cold weather is here and the hunt is over, we certainly enjoy and appreciate the fine table fare that the hunt has presented to us. We just love the tenderloins and streaks, and accompany them with fine wine for enjoyment. Now I have time to concentrate once again on other aspects of life. Getting myself back into good physical shape again through cardio and weight training is right near the top.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

You can still catch and release hunt for deer {Camera}
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

No squirrels, no crappies, I'M FROZEN :!: :!: :!: . I'll take my 4x4 to the carwash and get it cleaned up and all my gear put up. Think I'll take the family out for dinner and a movie :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I am still out there every day with the Excalibur in hand. We don't end until January 31 st. and I am still chasing the same buck.

I killed my meat doe right after Christmas with my black powder rifle and butchered her and she is resting comfortably in the freezer.

My fear now is that my buck will drop his antlers before I can get him in range. I saw an eight point last night that only had one antler and it sent a shiver down my spine.

I don't see any other hunters this time of year and I see tons of deer. Food is king now and I set up between bedding and food sources. Most days it is just a parade of does heading to the cut corn fields. The bucks I have been seeing are usually heading the same way but always stay around forty or fifty yards off to the side of the trails the does use.

So while some of you kick back, put your feet up and reminisce about the season just past, please think kindly of we remaining lunatic fanatics still out here chasing the lure of the antler.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Go get em' Mike, and may all your antlers be present!

I am horrifyingly jealous.. :D
WMU 91
Boo string