Bass Pro Shop is a rip off!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LondonDave

Bass Pro Shop is a rip off!

Post by LondonDave »

I stopped at BPS on my way up to Orillia for work because I had a $25 gift card that I wanted to spend. I had never really looked at the archery section at BPS before so I was excited to see what they had. I was looking at possibly getting a couple of different things one being a soft case.

So....

Padded Excalibur case at BPS.....$64.99
Archers nook in London......$52.50

Excalibur sling at BPS.....$29.99
Archers nook....$25.50

Come on...Whatever happened to large volume buying power making for lower pricing? I constantly battle the choice between supporting the small "mom and pop" place vs. the big box store. Usually it's a tough call because the big box store is much cheaper, not in this case. I found the same thing with Cabelas when I was down to the store in Michigan back in December. Everything I looked at at Cabelas was cheaper at Gander Mountain. Not that Gander Mountain is a mom and pop store but they aren't nearly as big as Cabelas.

I ended up buying a sling just because I had a $25 gift card and I wanted to use it up but it pisses me off that I had to spend more money on an item to do it.

My rant is over....

Dave
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

I agree, but sometimes they have awesome clearance sales. Did they have those 870 Express Ladder Stands?

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Matt,

The did still have a stack of them. They also had a decent hang on stand for $49.

You're right about having good deals on the odd item but I would think with the volume that they buy everything should be at least the same price as the small shops if not less, not $12 more for something like a soft case.

I'm also a little bit spoiled because I live 45 mins from Port Huron and you can get some awesome deals at Gander Mountain and Walmart in the US. It's hard to beat $75 for a two person ladder stand (Walmart)

Dave
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Yea, Gander Mountain is awesome and some of the stuff is Dirt Cheap!
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
huntman

Post by huntman »

LondonDave wrote:
I'm also a little bit spoiled because I live 45 mins from Port Huron and you can get some awesome deals at Gander Mountain and Walmart in the US. It's hard to beat $75 for a two person ladder stand (Walmart)

Dave
Hey Dave ill take 4 of those the next time your at walmart in the US and ill come pick them up from you. Thats a great deal! I have 5 two man stands all bought from BPS and they where all around 180.00 each!! Holy Crap i hate getting screwed over!!
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

Is that walmart price regular price or when they are on sale?
I come by my name honestly.
Stash

Post by Stash »

BPS may get volume discounts a few percentage points lower than smaller businesses on a lot of items (although I am 99% sure that the Nook and BPS pay the same rate to Excalibur for their product, and the Nook sells for a lower retail price that Excalibur recommends), but there is more to setting the retail price of an item than just its wholesale price.

I don't want to get into an argument on BPS pricing, but I did want to point out that there is a considerable difference in the cost of running a store the size of a Bass Pro, with its millions of $$$ worth of displays and fixtures, a large local sales staff with behind-the-scenes support personnel, as well as a massive multinational management and distribution staff, in-store security team, advertising and promotions, and being open 362 days a year, 87 hours a week, in the busiest and most expensive city in the country, compared to a couple of rental units open for 35 hours a week, in an industrial park in a smaller town where commercial costs are about 30% lower.

"Ripoff" is, I think, an inappropriate choice of word. BPS prices are, for the most part, reasonable, always competitive, and in many cases, the best deals anywhere. Plus, BPS has a price match guarantee which is posted all over the store - all you have to do is show a lower advertised price from a competitor, and BPS will match it.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Dumbazz wrote:Is that walmart price regular price or when they are on sale?
Sale price but I believe the regular price was only around $100. There is nothing fancy about the stand but for $75 I don't expect much.

Dave
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I bought one of those 75buck ladder stands from walmart to for my daughter.. also, dicks sporting goods had the 15ft ladder stands for only 44bucks(reg 99.89). I picked up 2 of those LOL!

but BPS has always had dcent prices for me. I like the fact that the next shop is opening up the road from me so I can get anything I want, when I want it. Not having to wait 2-3 days for mail to get it to me.

Its cheaper sites online, but everyone has certain items cheaper than others, while other items might cost more at that store.

I still like cabelas a little better though than BPS :lol:
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

If there was one store out there that had everything and beat every one else's prices, there wouldn't be any other stores. It always pays to shop around.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
catcher

Post by catcher »

I find at bps you have to get the deals. If you are looking for something that is not on sale you might pay more for it. I was there last week and picked up a layout blind for goose hunting in Max 4 camo for 150 bucks. And two 870 ladders stands for 69 bucks. Got to look for the deals.
huntman

Post by huntman »

Stash wrote:BPS may get volume discounts a few percentage points lower than smaller businesses on a lot of items (although I am 99% sure that the Nook and BPS pay the same rate to Excalibur for their product, and the Nook sells for a lower retail price that Excalibur recommends), but there is more to setting the retail price of an item than just its wholesale price.

I don't want to get into an argument on BPS pricing, but I did want to point out that there is a considerable difference in the cost of running a store the size of a Bass Pro, with its millions of $$$ worth of displays and fixtures, a large local sales staff with behind-the-scenes support personnel, as well as a massive multinational management and distribution staff, in-store security team, advertising and promotions, and being open 362 days a year, 87 hours a week, in the busiest and most expensive city in the country, compared to a couple of rental units open for 35 hours a week, in an industrial park in a smaller town where commercial costs are about 30% lower.

"Ripoff" is, I think, an inappropriate choice of word. BPS prices are, for the most part, reasonable, always competitive, and in many cases, the best deals anywhere. Plus, BPS has a price match guarantee which is posted all over the store - all you have to do is show a lower advertised price from a competitor, and BPS will match it.

I know your an employee there but are you also a shareholder?? lol
I agree with what you say about the size of the store and total operating expenses. It must be outrageous to open and operate a store of that mangnatude!
bj

Post by bj »

in actual fact, Bass Pro charges an extremely fair and competitive price for the excalibur products that they sell (although sometimes they lack some technical expertise for the complete line of products that they offer)...we have to be careful as we compare to those that try to monopolize the total business as a discount outlet, not achieving the profit they should but trying to do a bit of volume to add to the coffers...

just my opinion though !

any everyone is entitled to their opinion, right :wink:

Wayne...........
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

BPS uses the loss leader strategy to get you in there. They offer one or two things on sale that they might take a loss selling so you will come in and look around. That's why some of their prices are high on other things. I don't buy anything there that's not on sale. Get on their mailing list. Their ads usually get to me 2 - 4 days before the sale actually starts. Go in before the sale starts, buy what you want from it, and then take your purchase over to the service desk with the ad and they will refund the difference. I have done this 5 or 6 times with no problems, so it might be a policy. If they say no, you are already in the right place to make a return.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Kinda like Crappy Tire. Thier regular prices are ridiculous, but their 70% off sales bring it down to a half decent price :wink: . :lol:
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!