Now this is camo

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bbbwb

Now this is Camo

Post by bbbwb »

Just a thought for facts.
The picture provides an excellent view of how the camo blends in very well. Does this also hold true for anyone who is colour blind?
Is the camo distinctly easily observed by someone who is colour blind? How does the deer see this since they do not see all colours of the colour spectrum?
These thoughts never occurred until I was hunting with a young person who was colour blind. He had shot a deer with xbow but in retrieving the bolt was not sure if there was blood on it as it had mud and blood both. Also he had some difficulty in tracking blood on the leaf litter. It was a successful hunt but he would have had difficulty had others not been with him to help locate the deer.
Once again something that many of us, having all our senses, take for granted.
Interested in all comments.

bbbwb
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

One of my fellow classmates who also is my dentist is a good friend and hunts with me on occasions. He is also color blind. He does not have a chance of following a blood trail. He has no idea as to the color of a stop light, just that the top light means stop and the bottom light means go. For some reason he thinks his disability actually makes it easier for him doing the work of his profession. He never explained that and I didn't think I really wanted to know more so I never pursued that.

We have turned his little handicap into a plus for myself and my hunting partners. We use him to test our camo. We always ask him how we look as we figure he is as close as any human is going to come to seeing things the way a whitetail might.

He has told us that the smaller pattern camo regardless of brand, ie. realtree, mossy oak breakup, etc. etc. does not hide us as well as the larger pattern camo's such as the ASAT or skyline's Apparition. He told me once that when I am in my climber and wearing the skyline camo that I was very difficult to see. He said the gray sky made me look just like other limbs in the tree.

He also has told us that some amount of texture really makes it harder for him to see us but I think that is true even if you are not color blind.

This is not scientific and I certainly am not endorsing any brand of camo, I am sure we all have our favorites. I am just telling you what my color blind dentist has told me. The larger the pattern the better.
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

My son is colour blind too,and the one distinct advantage he has is that the deer stand out like a neon light against the fall background.
I will have to ask him about what he sees when he looks at a camo outfit.
Bob Vandrish.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

I'm colour blind and I picked him off right away.

I'm not so bad that I can't tell the colour of traffic lights but following a blood trail is pretty difficult.

Dave
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

looks like a good way to get shot

h.j.
they say he is still up there.
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

Having worn a ghillie suit, I can tell you, they get hot really fast. They snag everything they touch, trap scent, and when they get wet, they weigh a ton. I opted to make my own instead of using the full suit.
TPM

Post by TPM »

Neat stuff but the ghillie suit is nothing new. I have a picture of a sniper from World War I (90+ years ago for those who don't remember history class :oops: ) wearing very much the same outfit.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

A Ghillie is a word for gamekeeper (Welsh or Scot?). So this technique is anything but new.

I still have the shirt I made, but it doesn't fit anymore :? . If I had to make another I would use the synthetic net they sell, the kind that is die-cut from the ripstop stuff. It would be cooler and wouldn't soak up water. I have a panel of the stuff I keep rolled up in my pack. I can sit down somewhere and put it over me and works almost as well as the suit.
bbbwb

Now this is Camo

Post by bbbwb »

Glad to hear the comments.
I have a winter suit that I obtained frrom Chrono Manufacturing in Edmonton -- Skyline Cover LLC, Aparition Horizon. I have tried to obtain another suit but learn that the co is gone. I located another co --Skyline Camouflage in Hamburg, New York, but after several attempts to get a catalogue--e-mail and telephone have been unsuccessful. Does anyone know of this co or other places that may carry this camo -- either winter or fall colours.

bbbwb
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

BUT....THIS IS.....

Chewbacca!!!!!!!
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

There's a company called Bushrag that makes a good suit. I think they even have fibers other than burlap.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Finally ... the legend of the Fouke Monster is laid to rest! :wink:

Somebody better tell Smokey Crabtree. :D
Grizz
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Out-a-sight stealth camo... does Chewbacca talk to you? :lol:
What you can't see or hear can hurt you...
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »