Saturday success . . .

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Saturday success . . .

Post by sumner4991 »

Hey guys & gals!

I took this doe Saturday a.m. at 8:06. It was a near perfect morning, 34 degrees, light frost and no wind. I was hunting the same spot on the creek bank where I shot the six pointer(my first Georgia deer) a couple of weeks ago. This one took about the same route as the buck. However, this time I didn't allow her to go down the creek bank. As she came into sight from the brush 20 yards away, I raised my bow as she looked back. Unfortunately, the doe behind her detected my movement. I didn't detect the second doe until after she saw me, ooops. Therefore, as soon as this lead doe gave me a solid shot, I took it. Quartering away, took out part of one lung and destroyed the other lung. She went down immediately. Then things got interesting. I reloaded and hit the bleat call . The second doe had disappeared back into the brush. After hitting the call, three does came out. They went along the creek toward the open field 70 yards away. Then they came back. On the return trip they spotted the downed doe. They made another U-turn and went back toward the open field. Last I saw them, they were crossing the open field. They stomped around and bobbed their heads for 10 minutes before leaving. I could have taken another 25 yard shot, but, I only like to drag out one deer at a time. Here is a picture, not the greatest . . .I had to recruit the processor to take it. LOL

The broadhead . . .I used the Rocket Areohead Hammerhead. It's a 2" cut, 3 blade mechanical and it packs a mean bunch. They shoot exactly like my field points even at 50 yards. I use two rubber bands to hold the blades in place. This is only the second deer I've taken with these broadheads, however, I'm convinced that the 2" blade is the way to go. The pros . . .the deer drop quickly even on a bad hit(the buck went 20 yards on a gut shot, the doe dropped in her tracks), accurate, and relatively cheap. Cons . . .did not get a complete pass through on either shot and the blades seem weak(all three broke off with the doe).
Last edited by sumner4991 on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
diesel

Post by diesel »

Congrats on your Doe. :D
Normous

Post by Normous »

Congrats.
In the past I have taken 6-7 deer with that Rocket Hammerhead, but in a 4 blade 108 grain version 2" by 2" cut. The wound channel left by those were huge, to say the least. I have never broben a blade, only bent a few. Not one deer made it further than 40-50 yard with those. Two elastics are best on them I found. I had pass throughs on all of them. Heavy 2219 helps in the KE dept. to push those through.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Beautiful deer! Congrats!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
catcher

Post by catcher »

Nice big healthy doe. No wasted meat on that shot.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Great job! I wish we were still hunting but someone has to give the rabbits and squirrels a hard time :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
rutman

Post by rutman »

Congrats on the deer!
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Congratulations Scott! But where's the snow???:shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Congratulations nice looking deer :D
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Thanks for the congrats guys. I normally donate all my deer meat, but, this one looks good . . .I'm keeping some of it! :D

I found one thing out from getting braces for both my girls . . .the rubberbands they use to fix the bite make great bands for holding the broadhead blades together. They even come in different strengths and sizes. Cost me a ton to figure that one out. :shock:

Boo . . .I aim to please. . .the snow arrived about 5 o'clock. Got enough to get the sleds out and build a snowman, a six footer! Here in good ole Cobb County, Georgia!

It took about all the snow we had in the front yard to make this guy. We had about a two hour window. The neighborhood kids had a blast. It changed to rain. My snowman is drowning :cry:
Happy Manhole Cover

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Nice doe, Sumner! :D

Nice snow, too. They're actually forcasting a flake or two in NC's piedmont today ... everyone's all excited.

We'll never see it here in the Coastal Plain. :? We need to see at least a flake. This is winter, isn't it?
Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Grizz . . .just wanted to wish you good luck getting that snow today. We didn't have much, but, it was the first in three or four years. As you can see in the background of our snowman picture, it took all the snow in our front yard to make the snowman. I'm sad to report it, but, the snow and our snowman are gone. The kids went to school on time . . .no snow day here. Sure was fun while it lasted!! :D When you haven't had snow in such a long time . . .it's special . . .I hope you get the opportunity to enjoy it.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Nothing but a nasty cold rain here! :cry:

Someday. :D
Grizz
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Looks like another chance of snow Saturday . . .keep your fingers crossed Grizz, it may be going your way and it's suppose to be colder this time.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen