Shotgun Choice?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I go through a lot of slugs, I find it to very therapeutic, provided I don't have anything else to do with my arm for the rest of the day. I shoot my shotgun almost every day. My shoulder has been bruised for over a year. :D When I set my Slug gun up with Partition Golds I developed such a violent flinch I couldn't shoot my crossbow for a week.

Limb-saver makes a good pad, I think it comes on a few of the 870's, it is on my gun.
http://www.limbsaver.com/Products/Firea ... l_Pad.aspx

The Knoxx special Ops stock is supposed to work good too, not very easy to get right now though, the military is buying them up making it hard to get a hold of one. They say felt recoil is reduced by a whopping 95%.
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0012785224733a.shtml
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
catcher

Post by catcher »

I personally have the 870 with a fully riffled barrel and a scope. I shoot the partion golds 2 3/4. It is incredidibly accurate at ranges up to 100 yards. But I never have tried any other gun with slugs to compare. The 870 is so accurate I have not had the need. I have heard that guys are switching to 20 gauges. They say they are just as accurate and are a little lighter.
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

shot a single barrel slug gun by new england firearms.thought I would buy one but the recoil was the worst I have ever shot.the gun is to light.I was shooting premium winchester slugs 2 3/4" 12 gu.trying to sight in a scope on it would be brutal.
Boo

Post by Boo »

bait pile willie wrote:shot a single barrel slug gun by new england firearms.thought I would buy one but the recoil was the worst I have ever shot.the gun is to light.I was shooting premium winchester slugs 2 3/4" 12 gu.trying to sight in a scope on it would be brutal.
[img][img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/ ... ngEyes.gif[/img][/img]
Some people just like stepping on rakes
DanO

Post by DanO »

Geez and I thought it was just me being a wimp! Well it still may be that but it sounds like others have problems with the recoil. I've heard the recoil is equal to that of an 80 calibre gun?

I've thought about sell my 12 gauge to buy a 20 gauge just to get away from the recoil. The noise isn't real popular in the areas around town either!

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
maple

Post by maple »

This year I've been looking for another shotgun so's my son can shoot deer with me during shotgun only season. Le Baron' has the synthetic Remington 870 three barrel combo; 28" vented rib with choke tube, rifled slug barrel with cantilevered scope mount, and a 23(?) inch turkey barrel for $599.

Got my name on one.

I shoot a Browning Auto 5 for birds and such and wish I could find another.

maple
Boo

Post by Boo »

DanO, rising in popularity is the 20 gauge. Apparently (I haven't verified it) it still has enough poop to 200 yards and accuracy to match. I am thinking about that gauge in an autoloader, donno what maker yet.
captainron62

Post by captainron62 »

no-one is going to suggest the 1100? if I could only have one gun, that would be it. good thing though I have over 10!
Last edited by captainron62 on Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bowtech MightyMite
Excal Exocet

Buckeye Lake, OHIO
Boo

Post by Boo »

Nothing wrong with an 1100, it's a great gun. I have one and it's my second oldest gun. Bought it in the early 80's used and it has thousands of rounds through it. Still ticks away without complaint or jamming.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

have owned a 12 gauge 870 wingmaster for many years used it for bear,deer turkey and duck....and have a single shot 20 gauge cil that i use for grouse and rabbit....if i i had to choose one gun it would be the 870.... 12 gauge ...very versitle, durable and great a great priced gun
Country

Post by Country »

I'd look for a used 870 or 1100. They just don't break. Spend the savings on a cantelivered scope mount slug barrel. Hastings makes a nice one. There is also a manufacturer whos name escapes me at the moment that makes a slug barrel in the faster twist. The faster twist is needed in many cases to accurately shoot the Partition Golds. My 1100 won't shoot the Patitions with any accuracy so I backed off to the Platinum Tips which worked fine and the recoil isn't as bad. The Winchester Supreme slugs were tack drivers and I probably should have stayed with them but we all look for longer range. I had to pass on a 130 class 10 point this year as my range finder said 198 yds. A smoke pole would have worked on that one.
xbhntr

Deer guns and barrels.

Post by xbhntr »

I have a 35 year old Remington Wingmaster 870. I've chopped the butt, put another bead on, and replaced the wooden stock for synthetic. My regular 30' barrel is now 28'. The second sightbead is bigger than the front bead; this lines the gun up on the target better for me. The deer barrel has a smooth bore which I shoot only Challenger 2 3/4" slugs.This gun gives me very little recoil on ducks and deer. Ray.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I've like the mossbergs.
They have combo kits with two barrel's at affordable prices.The pump takes some getting used to.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Boo

Post by Boo »

DanO, you have me thinking about selling my SBE slug gun and getting an M2 in 20 gauge! :roll:
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I think I have shot just the same amount of game as my great grandfather and my grandfather with my 870 combo as they did with my savage 99 about as reliable as my exocet.Thanks Bill!! :D :D
The best things in life are not things!!