Breeding....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dumbazz

Breeding....

Post by Dumbazz »

Recently heard that when a doe has twin or triplet fawns, they may have different fathers. Meaning the doe was breed by 2 or 3 different bucks, all impregnating her with a fawn.

Thoughts??
I come by my name honestly.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Sorry, don't see how that makes sense. I would think the doe would have dropped multiple eggs. The sperm count from the buck has to be more than one. Where is Dr Dan when we need him?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Here's something interesting about bears:

I know that bear embryos are implanted in the ovaries soon after breeding and are imbedded in the uterine wall much later ... because bear biologists always want to examine the ovaries to see if a sow is pregnant when one is killed in bear season.

Sows are bred in late May or very early June. Bear season is in late November and early December.

So ... in bears, the embryos are put on "hold" for a while before further development, but I don't know if a sow can carry embryos from more than one breeding at a time, though.
Grizz
Boo

Post by Boo »

I suppose there would be a purpose to that like scarce food? I think it's in dogs or big cats, maybe other mammals that once the animal is fertilized a plug develops to prevent the introduction of another male's sperm. I would think that if an animal has more offspring than normal it is because of the plenitude of food. On the other hand in humans that isn't the case. Of course man kind is a rule breaker in the animal kingdom. Interesting.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
rutman

Post by rutman »

Who wouldn't open with that topic title. :lol:
I don't see why that wouldn't be possible. A doe in heat will be harrassed constantly to mate by several different bucks, young and old and probably gets bread several times through that period.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
deerdhunter

Post by deerdhunter »

rutman wrote:Who wouldn't open with that topic title. :lol:
I don't see why that wouldn't be possible. A doe in heat will be harrassed constantly to mate by several different bucks, young and old and probably gets bread several times through that period.
And we all know that dough and bread go together :lol:
deerdhunter

Post by deerdhunter »

How many times can a dough be bread? Depends on how much loafing is done. :D :D
Allan

Post by Allan »

I heard (read) that recently also. I think is was in the Ontario out of doors mag or perhaps Outdoor Life.

I guess this is another way of spreading the gene pool.