Province Proposes Fall Turkey Hunting Season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

maple

Province Proposes Fall Turkey Hunting Season

Post by maple »

This was in today's Ottawa Citizen.

"Province proposes two-week turkey hunt

Hunters in Kemptville and some other areas of the province may get the chance to bag some turkey this fall, if a Ministry of Natural Resources proposal goes through. Natural Resources Minister Donna Cansfield said in a release yesterday that there are an estimated 70,000 turkeys in Ontario (the birds were reintroduced in 1984). "The tremendous success of the wild turkey restoration program also means we have the chance to offer hunters increasing hunting opportunuities." The Ministry is seeking comment on the proposed two-week hunt on it's online environmental bill of rights registry."

Sounds good to me.
jpscribbler

Post by jpscribbler »

That's big news. I'll go searching for the rest of the release and find what other parts of the province the government has in mind.
As a group, we should make sure we read the proposal and comment constructively.
A fall turkey hunt would be great.

Jp
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

It would have to be an opportunity hunt for me. Deer first in the fall.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I doubt the seasons would overlap, the way the regs are written right now the firearms regulations would conflict.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

Honestly, I think the only way it would work is to have your turkey tag which you normal have for the spring available for the fall hunt if its not filled or if you don't fill your spring "second tag" you can use it in the fall. The fall hunt would only be for Hen's and you would only get the oportunity to harvist one bird no mater if you didn't get your first tag harvested in the spring.

Reason being I think that is because turkeys I find are like sitting ducks in the fall!!! This year in the shotgun hunt I was sitting on the edge of a field, no real cover behind me and I had a flock of 50 walk single file in front of me no more than 15 feet away.

As for shotting the hens...I think it would be best to harvest a hen in the fall than a tom because there are fewer toms and winter mortality could possibly lower the # of toms more than hens.

Just my two cents....I think it would be great though if done correctly.

RyanB
bbbwb

Fall Turkey Hunting Season

Post by bbbwb »

In my opinion, I would object to a fall turkey hunt. I assume that the purpose of an extra hunt is to help reduce the population. That being the case, extend the spring hunt and include hens as well. Spring or fall harvesting of hens will reduce the poult production. Therefore to keep it simple and avoid anymore confusion, frustration, and aggravation, concentrate on the SPRING HUNT. There is already plenty of activity in the fall -- Goose season opens in early September, the remainder of migratory birds opens late September along with other types of small game,, Archery for deer opens October 1 st, 2-3 firearms seasons for deer are inserted and alternate back and forth until the first week of December, then archery for deer finishes at end of year along with goose and migratory birds , and the last of small game ends after the first of the new year.
As stated there will be further confusion to opening date. There will be plenty of frustration with hunter conflict due to season overlap as individuals interfere with each other in hunting different game species along with the aggravation - outlay of money -of having to be sure of proper licence possession.
The spring hunt brings the positive aspect of hunting in more temperate weather, gives the hunter the opportunity to spread out the hunting season over more days of the year, and there is SIMPLY only ONE SEASON OPEN save those species of game for which a year round season exists. -- hence LESS CONFUSION.
Voice support for the spring and give yourself a break.
bbbwb
Fox

Post by Fox »

Adding a fall hunt is a great idea, but I do agree that is needs to be before the deer archery hunt, or at least stop before the gun hunts for deer in the fall. There are so many hunters in the bush during a gun hunt it may ruin the population. As for the confusion, every other animal is hunted in the fall, you need a license for bear, deer, moose, rabbit, duck, I do not see how this is any different than hunting any of these animals.

I like the idea of being able to knock out a couple hens in the fall, there are so many hens around the Ottawa area it is insane and not that many toms.
xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

heres the link if you wanted to vote one way or the other. http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-Extern ... anguage=en
Team Dryfire
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

I dont think it would be ethical to take a hen in the spring when it probablly has a nest of eggs.several states have fall seaons that work so why not ontario besides the birds would be fatter in the fall.
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

My comments to the EBR.

"I would like to propose that the spring turkey license and tag not filled during that period be valid for the fall hunt of that year. Otherwise, once again having to purchase a seal for the fall hunt becomes just another money grab."

Grizzly-Papa
Life is too short to spend it indoors!
rutman

Post by rutman »

Grizzly-Papa wrote:My comments to the EBR.

"I would like to propose that the spring turkey license and tag not filled during that period be valid for the fall hunt of that year. Otherwise, once again having to purchase a seal for the fall hunt becomes just another money grab."

Grizzly-Papa
It's all money grabs, they should pay us to shoot some hens.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
maple

Post by maple »

Did some poking around this morning and found the draft 'proposal' on the MNR site. It gives the background and rational. There is a lot of interesting turkey info there also.

Here's the link

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/mnr/hunting/tu ... %20_2_.pdf

To me, the spring is for trout fishing and gardening and such. Hunting then just seems un-natural. A fall turkey hunt I might go for, maybe.
I think I'd like to shoot ONE sometime. In the fall it's deer, deer and deer.