Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Normous

Post by Normous »

Crazyfarmer likes the Rage and I will say that they performed excellently on two deer and one coyote this year that we took . One huge hole upon entry and exit impressed me. What impressed me more was how well the Rage 3 held together on that 5 point buck I shot from a tree stand at a mere 8 yards. It broke and completely separated the upper leg bone on the near side and blew completey through a rib on the far side. The Equinox/ GT II was responsible. He went 25 yards, if that. The coyote dropped dead in its tracks from a 6 yard Vortex/GT II/Rage 3 combo, through both shoulder blades. Only one bent blade on each kill resulted. I was impressed for sure. The second deer was shot at 28 yards, and went 50 yards. It bled out quickly with those two holes out of the Equinox as well. One need to check the blade seating in the O-ring before loading with the Rage. With travel and transport plus quiver removal the blades may unseat slightly. So it is wise to inspect them before loading them on the deck.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

enormous wrote: One need to check the blade seating in the O-ring before loading with the Rage. With travel and transport plus quiver removal the blades may unseat slightly. So it is wise to inspect them before loading them on the deck.
I noticed that also, but I always inspect my bhead before I load it during the hunt just to make sure. They tend to loosen up around the o-ring but just a simple push on each blade is all it takes. The head I shot broke after it exited.. whether it was from both front shoulders or a stump I dunno:)
crowe

broadheads

Post by crowe »

Well I guess there are a lot of different opinions out there. the one constant I see is the good reports on the rage broadheads. I think I'll try them this year on the exomax but for sure I'm staying with the 100 gr. montec for my Mathews Drenalin they jus shoot toooo good. The 6 pt. I shot this year didn't go 10 yards double lunged with a montec .
rutman

Post by rutman »

rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
crazyfarmer

Re: broadheads

Post by crazyfarmer »

crowe wrote:Well I guess there are a lot of different opinions out there. the one constant I see is the good reports on the rage broadheads. I think I'll try them this year on the exomax but for sure I'm staying with the 100 gr. montec for my Mathews Drenalin they jus shoot toooo good. The 6 pt. I shot this year didn't go 10 yards double lunged with a montec .
give them a try... it doesnt hurt:) You might like them or they might not do good for ya. I like mine and im picky as hell 8)
Boo

Post by Boo »

Some people just like stepping on rakes
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Don,
I've seen these before, but, I still think the cutting surface is too narrow. Comparing their broadhead to fixed blades and mechanicals was a good read. If they come out with something bigger than a 1" cut, then I'd be more apt to try them. I like the concept. The price is a little steep.

I also like the Spitfire Magnums(the regular Spitfires opened in flight . . .Magnums are made for a crossbow) . . .they fly great and open perfectly in the few shots I've tested. The extra weight is nice too, 170 gr. But, they need a bigger cutting surface(only 1 1/4") for me to be happy.

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen