questions from a new old guy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wild bill

questions from a new old guy

Post by wild bill »

This is my first post. My name is Bill Hall. 61 years old. I live in the Lansing Michigan area.

I bought my first xbow 5 years ago when Michigan legalized them for the firearm deer season. Barnette Quad 300. Haven't used my deer rifle since, so I sold it last year.

I want a new xbow so I've been reading various xbow forums. I am amazed that the majority recommend excalibur.

The closest place I can find a good selection of brands and test shoot them is Cabellas in Dundee, Michigan, (about 100 miles from me) Hope to make the trip soon.

In the mean time, can someone answer a couple questions for Me:

1. What is the dimension of exocet limbs tip to tip cocked and at rest.

2. I can cock my 150# barnette without a cocking aid. Should I be able to cock the 200# exocet with a rope cocking aid?

3. I have a stockpile of 20" wolverine hunter carbon crossbolts. 475 grains. .348 outside dia. Would these withstand the 200# exocet force?

Thanx, Wild Bill
they say i'm going through my second childhood. they don't realize i ain't done with my first one yet.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Welcome, Bill! :D

I believe the limbs on all Excals are the same. The different poundage is a result of longer and shorter rails, thus longer and shorter draws. You could probably find dimensions on the Excal site.

You'll be able to cock the 200 lb. crossbow with ease using a rope aid, as your draw will be reduced by 50%.

I imagine your bolts will be fine.
Grizz
frisky

Post by frisky »

Welcome....my bow is in storage now, but ,with the string OFF it measures 36 1/2 inches. With the string on it would be some what shorter.

The arrows SHOULD work, but the Excal uses a FLAT arrow nock, if yours are the C type nock, you have a one in three chance to get them in correctly. Use caution!
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
wabi

Post by wabi »

Hi Bill, and welcome to the forum!
The excaliburs are wider than compound designs, but it normally isn't a problem as long as you make sure you have clearance for the limbs when you get set-up in your blind or stand.
I think a rope cocking aid will easily let you handle the poundage, but it does increase the distance you have to pull. I adjust mine (by shortening the rope) so the string must be drawn a few inches to attach the second hook. This reduces the distance and makes it easy for me.
Excalibur recommends a 350 grain minimum arrow weight and flat nocks. The half moon nocks will work, they just aren't necessary and increase the chance you might get the nock oriented wrong and cause a dri-fire condition.
wabi
Normous

Post by Normous »

Welcome,
You can grind the half moons flat with ease.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome :!: I am an exocet 200 owner and i use the crankaroo cocking aid only because i can get a lot more practice in, with out any fatigue and pain in my bad shoulder. I love the bow you will not be disapointed in it.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome Wild Bill.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Rich

Post by Rich »

Bill,

If cocking weight is a concern, just drop down to the Phoenix. A Phoenix and a cocking rope are a breeze to shot all day long. I own both an Exocet and Phoenix, you can't go wrong with either. Once I get a little older I think the Phoenix may be more fitting though due to the lesser poundage. Do not mistake the lesser poundage for reduced killing power, they are both lethal.

Rich
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I would say that a exocet 200 with a rope cocker would probably feel like cocking the one you do by hand in a 100pound model :D So their shouldnt be any issues.

The Phoenix 175 would be probably better since the older you get, the more user friendly its weight and draw weight wil be on you:)
Dimteni

Post by Dimteni »

Welcome Bill!
Just a thought if you are going to buy an Excalibur you may want to check out Bowhuntersuperstore.com.
I have never bought from them before but I have noticed that their prices are very good.

Kevin
diesel

Post by diesel »

Welcome Wild Bill.
I'm not going to beat a dead hores. Looks like your questions have been answered. I have bought from Bow Hunters Super Store and they are great to deal with.
The people on this forum are family and will help you as much as you ask. I have bought many things from members and it's all been good with lots of good advise.
Do you know where Fowlerville is ? I have a very good friend that grew up there. He is now in charge of the bus garage for Walled Lake Schools ?
It's a small world. :D
wild bill

Post by wild bill »

Thanks for answering my questions.

I didn't do much research when I bought the barnette. I lived in Michigan's Upper Penninsula at the time, so everything was mail order. I overlooked recurves because I assumed they were inferior compared to compounds. Looks like I was wrong.

I have been very successful with the Barnette and have no complaints. At this point it looks like excalibur fits my needs the best. I will make the journey to cabellas and try-out the excalibur, ten point and parker xbows. Recurve and compound.

Wild Bill
they say i'm going through my second childhood. they don't realize i ain't done with my first one yet.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Welcome. One last testimonial. I'm 67 with two bad wings. Cocking my Vortex (thumbhole stock) with rope no problem. I shoot nearly daily all summer. Using rope also centers the string for better accuracy. The Vortex is a bit wider than my compound XB but has an edge on accuracy and ease of maintenance.
MADMAX2

CROSSBOW?

Post by MADMAX2 »

Welcome to the forum wild bill.The people you talk to on this forum are a little bit brand loyal and they have good reason to be :lol:
The best things in life are not things!!
wild bill

Post by wild bill »

UPDATE: I made the trip to Cabelas and a couple other smaller shops. I spent 5 hours at Cabelas shooting and talking about xbows. The salesman, Bill, was patient with me. I tried all the excaliburs and various other compound xbows. I like the vortex best. I was surprised how easy it is to cock with the rope.

No xbow purchase that day but I left with an nice coat and a shirt.

PS: They should call their cabella burger the belly buster.