Targets

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Stosh

Targets

Post by Stosh »

Found this, Very interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfOSIRk2LiY

I just got my crossbow butt, Not to happy, first 5 shots had 3 bolts sticking out the back. Still waiting to see what they are going to do.
Looking at this video, I think got the wrong one!!!!

Bye, Stosh
Apple_Orchard

Post by Apple_Orchard »

bstout wrote:Regardless of who makes the target...it is better to shoot hunting heads at different spots each time. One reason is so you don't ruin an arrow by hitting it with another arrow. Another reason is to keep from shooting a hole through your target.

I never shoot at the middle/center of a target first. I save the middle for last. I wait until the rest of the target is in very poor shape before I begin shooting at the center.

I also prefer a target that's designed for target tips as well as hunting heads. The manufacturer of the target must state in their advertisement that the target is good for field tips or it is not for multiple reasons.

There are many good name brand targets on the market. If they're used correctly, they all will last a very long time.
Good advice Peter-Bob. :lol:
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Stosh,

I have the AWT Crossbow king target and I have been happy with it. It seems to be holding up well after about 100 shots. but I move around and shoot the different spots. I have had arrows stop just short of penetrating the target (could feel the tip of the BH if I pressed on the back of the target) but I have yet to have a BH sticking out of the target.

You can't beat it for the price. Arrows can be hard to get out so get an arrow puller if you don't have one. The target will loosen up over time and it will be easier to pull the arrows. It is a broadhead target and if you shoot a field tip into it it is a real bear to get them out. I knew that and I did it anyway. I won't do it again.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
saxman

Post by saxman »

I have a block knock off from wally world.
It stops the arrows,even at close range but they are a B$@&% to get out.
I have to put the target on the groung,get on top of it (I hope you are picturing this) grab with both hands and pull it out.
Then I have to catch my breath from that before I can cock the bow then another break then the shot. REPEAT,REPEAT OH my sacariliac.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Try lubing your arrows. Plain bar soap rubbed on shaft or Johnson's furniture wax will make removal much easier.
Crockett&boon

Post by Crockett&boon »

nice video
excalibur equinox ,lumizone,groundpounder mount,boo string
JBO

Post by JBO »

Looks like it holds up great, that will be the one I'll buy.
Thanks
Vortex
Custom Boo string
Lumi-Zone
Slick Tricks
NRA
Boo

Post by Boo »

Try silicone spray on the target and the arrows to make extraction easier. I have a Black Hole target at work and it is a piece of garbage compared to some others I've owned. Two things that have extended my target's life. One is to shoot at a slight angle and the other is if possible hang them. Bag targets last much longer if you lay them down and jump on the area you are shooting at to redistribute the material.
Some people just like stepping on rakes