O/T Enjoy The Coffee

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

oldbhtrnewequip

Post by oldbhtrnewequip »

raydaughety wrote:Well I have a problem ... :wink: Ok, I'm done :D
I hope things turn out well for you on the arbitration and medically!!

You really need to find a certified financial planner.
Interview several. Find out what/how they are going to charge you.
Figure out how they make money, so that if you find one that also
sells financial products, you'll know how he/she is motivated to sell
you what they're selling.

You have to be every bit as worried about inflation and devaluation of your lump sum settlement as you do about losing it in risky investments based on the potential inability to make up for those losses in the future through income (that you might not be able to get.)

You good to feel mostly comfortable but a little on edge because of concerns about inflation and YOUR cost of living.

YOUR ability to mentally and physically be able to deal with risk should be a big factor in the decision making process on recommended investements.

Be prepared to lay out the complete details of your financial situation.
Anything that has to do with money (monthly outflows and incomes) is
what they're going to want to know. Planned future expenditures (like you said your kids college education...he/she will ask (ivy league, state school, or local community college?)

Protecting visibility of cash/assets from the potential schools your kids may want to go through is/should be a consideration. Trust me when I tell you the schools want your fair share. You MAY be able to do something with a trust based on a lump sum distribution for disability, that is really oriented to future income.

Good luck :)
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

oldbhtrnewequip, Gotta be honest, I don't even know where to start other than to only draw a salary from the settlement. Mind if I shoot you a PM?
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

oldbhtrnewequip wrote: ... a LOT of factors. The two biggest are the debt to equity ratio and the current value of the house.
I agree ... it takes a lot of careful thought to avoid taking a beating from the bank. I prefer to let them take the beating (as much as is possible)!

We had to wait until we were in our forties to be able to build a house. Until then, I lived in two work-provided houses, and then we lived in a 1986 Redman New Moon single-wide. Cheap living ... it cost us $1000 a year for the six years we had it!

We built our new house for $92,000 LESS than the bank's appraisal value at the time of arranging our mortgage!

Even with this currently flat real-estate market, it's worth far more than we have in it. Hope to have it paid off in eight years.

My favorite part (aside from the solid cypress paneling) ... it's got an attached 24' X 48' shop ... I can walk through a door and be in the "man-room" ... can't beat that. :wink: :D
Grizz
oldbhtrnewequip

raydaughety wrote:oldbhtrnewequip, Gotta be honest, I don't even know where to start other than to only draw a salary from the settlement. Mind if I shoot you a PM?
shoot away. I am NOT a certified financial planner.
I can direct you to someone who can direct you to someone in your area.
I'm happy to recommend mine to you. He works in Washington D.C.
oldbhtrnewequip

Grizzly Adam wrote: ...
We built our new house for $92,000 LESS than the bank's appraisal value at the time of arranging our mortgage!

Even with this currently flat real-estate market, it's worth far more than we have in it. Hope to have it paid off in eight years.

My favorite part (aside from the solid cypress paneling) ... it's got an attached 24' X 48' shop ... I can walk through a door and be in the "man-room" ... can't beat that. :wink: :D
GREAT (not good but GREAT!!) for you :)
Sounds like a lot of sweat equity, and the bonus to that is you KNOW its built right.

You'll have to post some pics of your shop :)

Best thing I ever did was set my basement up to allow for an archery range.
dnepr

Post by dnepr »

I enjoyed the coffee story. more people need to read it. I am sure many people laugh at my small house and my 22 year old truck. but like most things in my life they are both paid for. About 3 months ago I lost my job, many my freinds and family were all in a panic for me , I wasn't , neither was my better half. My financial situation was in good enough shape as to not sweat it. 6 weeks later I found my present job and life carried on . I am of the opinion that debt is a form of self imposed slavery. I wish I could say that I have no debt but I am not there yet. I have very little debt by todays standards and working on getting rid of it. lots of people seem to want the best of everything but I think prioritising is the key . My Truck is the cheapest thing I can keep on the road but I sure enjoy my Exomax.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Grizz . . .just saw your response about the banks taking the beating . . .that NEVER happens. Everytime the banks take the loss it is passed on to the consumer. The guys that "walk away" make rates higher for the rest of us that do not walk. The banks also make up the losses by giving less of a spread on the rate they pay to savings accounts. Telling anyone that it is OK to walk away from their contractual agreement is irresponible. It is THE SAME thing as lying, cheating, &/or STEALING. The bank loans are in good faith. It is the borrowers' responsibility to stand behind their word to repay. There are exceptions when fraud is involved, but, those are rare(regardless of what the media would like us to believe).
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

sumner4991 wrote:Grizz . . .just saw your response about the banks taking the beating ... Telling anyone that it is OK to walk away from their contractual agreement is irresponible. It is THE SAME thing as lying, cheating, &/or STEALING. The bank loans are in good faith. It is the borrowers' responsibility to stand behind their word to repay.
Sumner ... I only meant that I enjoy beating the bank out of the interest money they expected to make on my loan ... and I meant nothing more than that, as I believe anyone on here who knows anything about me understands.

Since the bank agreed to loan me mortgage money with no pre-payment penalty, their loss of expected interest gain is perfectly fair, and I expect to deprive them of well over $150,000 dollars of interest money by paying off the loan long before they expected me to.

For the record (and it is good faith that prompts me to go so far as to say this): I haven't, don't, and will never suggest that anyone do anything less than honor their obligations.

As I said in that same post:

"Hope to have it paid off in eight years."

Clear enough?
Grizz
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Grizz . . .that's what I thought, however, you had highlighted a previous post that claimed debt to equity and home vlaue were factors to determine whether or not to walk away from a house . . .to me that's not a factor at all. It's simply a matter of ability to repay. Nothing else.

I misunderstood your post.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

No problem, Sumner ... just wanted to clear that up! :D

Sorry I didn't clarify why I quoted that ... I just meant it's best to have less in it than it's worth, if you can manage to do it!
Grizz
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I think walking away from a mortgage can be a very sound thing to do, depending on a LOT of factors. The two biggest are the debt to equity ratio and the current value of the house. I think its important for the mortgage community to take a spanking on this issue of sub prime mortgages to keep "this" from happening in the future.
Grizz . . .here is the entire quote . . .as you know, there is a difference between beating the bank out of "potiential interest" and "earned interest". The previous poster meant to beat the bank out of interest already earned(and potientially their principle) by not paying them according to their contractual agreement. We all lose in that case . . .not just the bank. Poor advice, in my opinion. That's why I was thrown off by your response. I have the utmost respect for you and would expect you to agree that the only reason to walk away from a home is if you lose the ability to pay . . .and even then, leave scratching and clawing.

Wow . . .that cup of coffee has an interesting flavor. :lol: :lol:

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

sumner4991 wrote: I have the utmost respect for you and would expect you to agree that the only reason to walk away from a home is if you lose the ability to pay . . .and even then, leave scratching and clawing.
Yep! We're on the same wavelength, Sumner!

Communication makes the difference ... and that's why this forum shines! :D
Grizz
oldbhtrnewequip

I think walking away from a mortgage can be a very sound thing to do, depending on a LOT of factors. The two biggest are the debt to equity ratio and the current value of the house. I think its important for the mortgage community to take a spanking on this issue of sub prime mortgages to keep "this" from happening in the future.
Sumner,

I would have kept up on this thread had I had that time, but I've been busy. The quote of what I said is above.

I believe in honoring one's obligations as well. There are people who get in way over their heads, and right now, at this point in history, there are a ton of them because of easy lending practices in the sub prime mortgage market. It has been a fiasco.

The banks shouldn't be lending money to people that can't afford to pay it, and it is their responsibility to ensure a high level of probability of repayment. With instability in the mortgage markets you have this yo-yo effect on the ability of your average Joe to get a mortgage, much less get a mortgage at a decent interest rate. The banks 'try' to get their money back from new mortgage holders based on previous bad debts. I think that's what you take issue with and point that out when you say we 'all' pay for bad loans. Us savers also get squat for interest rates when the fed drops them and the banks squeeze us on huge spreads.
sumner4991 wrote:Grizz . . .just saw your response about the banks taking the beating . . .that NEVER happens. Everytime the banks take the loss it is passed on to the consumer. The guys that "walk away" make rates higher for the rest of us that do not walk. The banks also make up the losses by giving less of a spread on the rate they pay to savings accounts.
I try to never say never ;-)

I will kindly disagree with you on the point of the banks (investors) NEVER taking a beating. Its okay for us to not agree in our opinions, but facts are what they are.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=C&t=6m&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=
http://www.citigroup.com/citigroup/pres ... 71104b.htm

The banks do lose and they lose big. Had Ray gotten his settlement back in November and dumped it all into a safe investment like a bank by the name of Citigroup, he'd have a little more than half of what he started with. I consider banks a VERY risky investment right now.

I think you were referring to me when you said
sumner4991 wrote:The previous poster meant to beat the bank out of interest already earned(and potientially their principle) by not paying them according to their contractual agreement. We all lose in that case . . .not just the bank. Poor advice, in my opinion. That's why I was thrown off by your response. I have the utmost respect for you and would expect you to agree that the only reason to walk away from a home is if you lose the ability to pay . . .and even then, leave scratching and clawing.

Wow . . .that cup of coffee has an interesting flavor. :lol: :lol:
On some occasions it is excellent advice to tell people that are hanging on by the skin of their teeth to file for bankruptcy. In some cases it is wholly appropriate to hang on. There is no one size fits all solution when it comes to advice on bankruptcy proceedings.

Do you want someone hanging on by the skin of their teeth for the rest of their lives? Sounds very close to slavery to me. If someone was in that position and likely to be in that position the rest of their lives based on long term income, debt, and repayment agreements, then they may be better served with debt forgiveness through due process.

I see it as unfair for SOME people to be scratching and clawing for the rest of their lives as a result of predatory lending practices. They will effectively live to serve the interests of the bank. In some cases, it may well be better for THEM (not 'us') to walk away from a bad loan.

Make no mistake. There are downsides to bankruptcy as well as upsides.

Anyone in a position where they THINK they may be in serious trouble would be well served to get professional advice about loan restructuring and bankruptcy.

~
[_]3 :D

Have a good one.

Pete
oldbhtrnewequip

sumner4991 wrote:Grizz . . .that's what I thought, however, you had highlighted a previous post that claimed debt to equity and home vlaue were factors to determine whether or not to walk away from a house . . .to me that's not a factor at all. It's simply a matter of ability to repay. Nothing else.

I misunderstood your post.
I'll maintain that they are still factors.

Some people want to have this view that banks are not business
partners and investors in housing. A house is an investment for
9x% of Americans. Ask 100 of your friends if they consider their house an investment and I think 98% might say its the biggest investment in their lives.

It is also an investment by the bank for the bank. The bank expects to make money out of the transaction as well, clearly making it an investment for them.

Maybe rates would be a lot lower for those of us who they KNOW WILL pay off loans because the probability of default is so much lower based
on a solid equity position.

Maybe it is the banks that we should take issue with and not the people walking away from loans.