I got the Phoenix!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cajun

I got the Phoenix!!!

Post by cajun »

I'm trying to decide which Excalibur to purchase. This will be my first xbow. I will be using it mainly for whitetail deer hunting.

I have narrowed the choices down to the Phoenix Kit or the Vortex Kit or the Exocet kit. Besides the differences in draw weight and speed, what would make one bow more desireable/better than the other?

Thanks for all input....
Last edited by cajun on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jniszczak

It Comes Down to the Stock

Post by jniszczak »

In my opinion, the speed and power of the Phoenix is plenty for most North American game. I recommend putting a Boo string and STS system on either one. I have owned both and prefer the thumbhole stock in the Vortex.
wabi

Post by wabi »

The more draw weight the more velicity and the flatter the trajectory. Not really all that important at the ranges I usually shoot deer. I prefer the lighter draw weight which means I can get a few more shots in a practice session before I get tired.
The thumbhole stock is not to my liking either. I like my thumb to be free to flip the safety on/off. With the thumbhole stock I have to make a major move with my hand to reach the safety, with the regular stock it's easy for me to flip the safety without disturbing my grip.
wabi
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

All will do the trick. An important factor for me was the ability to hand cock the X bow. I chose the Exocet 200 becasue of this and have shot two deer in two years on follow up shots that I may not have been able to accomplish if I had to dig out a rope cocking aid.

F
cajun

Post by cajun »

The Exocet 200 is 200# draw. Wouldn't the Phoenix at 175# be a bit easier to cock by hand?

Thanks,
Fergie10

Post by Fergie10 »

yes but most people dont cock by hand becasue one arm is usually stronger then the other this making you pull the string uneven making for a possible bad shot so your best bet is to use the cocking aid all the time unless your trying for a follow up shot in a treestand. the cocking aid decreases the amount of wieght and pulls the string back evenly everytime
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

I would say I have to agree with Wabi in regards to the ability to get to the safety without moving the hand too much.
I would narrow it down to the exocet 200 ot Vortex depending on comfort for you. The cocking rope is the way to go to ensure a proper draw on your bow every time. Also a flatter trajectory on the 200# bows (thats why I would eleminate the Pheonix...just my opinion...not the same for everyone!
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes!

Excal Micro 335
Boo

Post by Boo »

Phoenix
Some people just like stepping on rakes
cajun

Post by cajun »

Well Folks:

I decided to go with the Phoenix. Several reasons: saved a few bucks, might be a tad more forgiving, less draw weight = more practice time, a little less wear and tear on the equipment, don't plan to ever shoot at an animal at any more than 30 yards..........

Thanks to everyone for the advice....
wabi

Post by wabi »

At 30 yards or less the Phoenix should be all you'll ever need.
wabi
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Congratulations Cajun :) You have purchased a GREAT Crossbow 8) Very good choice :wink: Again welcome aboard as a Proud new Excaliber Owner :!: Any questions you might have as you progress with your Bow Ask here and you shall receive very Informative answers from People that Know how to do it RIGHT :D :D
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Congrats you're gonna love it!

F
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Congrats, Cajun, you got a good one.

Quote: I would say I have to agree with Wabi in regards to the ability to get to the safety without moving the hand too much.

Huh? I just had to go check out my Vortex. Thumb comes up and flicks safety while finger is alongside of trigger, three other fingers are holding on to bottom of stock. Either I've got a longer thumb than you guys, or you and Wabi don't like the thumbhole (TH) stock for your own reasons. Whatever. I like the stability and grip it provides. It's mighty hard to have it slip out of your hand. I shoot bows with TH and without, TH much preferable to me.
TEHO (to each his own), eh?
cajun

Post by cajun »

Thanks to all.

I'm very excited about this.

The only problem I have now is getting the xbow approved for hunting here in Louisiana. It's before the Wildlife & Fisheries again this year but has been shot down in years past. Seems like the majority of vertical bow hunters are dead set against this. As it stands now, xbow is only permitted for handicapped or over 60 years old. I am neither of those but practicing with a vertical bow leaves me with bad shoulder pain that lasts for days. Oh well, I'll have a head start on the xbow when I do turn 60........LOL.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Cajun ,how handicapped do you have to be ? As the hunters age and show aches they are less concerned about how long the arrow is that harvested the animal . :)
Congrats on a fine purchase that should serve you a lifetime .