Moose or Deer which is better tasteing????????????????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

diesel

Post by diesel »

Moose, Elk, deer, with raccoon bear tied and some place way down below everything eles antelope.
Antelope taste just like sage brush.
The town that I'm from the Lions club has a Raccoon dinner every year the first Monday in Feb. My Dad use to catch half the coon for it.( about 125) They fix about 800 meals. Raccoon is not bad there is just a lot of things that are better. Bear erminds me of that.
I would love to go bear hunting some day but don't think I could eat it, so deer will do me just fine.
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

I have heard with deer that if you dont cut into the bone it will taste alot better (deboneing) has anyone heard of this ?, we always debone all our deer when we butcher them anyway.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I just thawed a roast from a deer that had been processed at a butcher. It was jsut marked "roast". When I opened it up I found it was a shoulder roast with a big hunk of leg bone. It's marinating in the fridge right now - I didn't cut it off the bone - YET. I'm undecided whether to cook it (slowcooker) with the bone on just to see what difference it would make in taste as I usually don't have roasts with bone. There was a lot of marrow showing with the way it was cut though... and well, I'm torn. Hubby doesn't care one way or another... but ... . . . . I guess I'll decide tomorrow!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
JRS

Post by JRS »

Another vote for moose over deer. My kids have an aversion to eating anything I harvest, (no problem with beef or pork though), and always ask what we are eating at supper. When having moose, I can always fool them by saying beef, but they definitely know the unique taste of deer.

A bit off topic, but another animal that tastes great is BBQ muskrat. The local Lions club always had a spring stag that featured a muskrat and perch dinner. I lot of people couldn't get past the thought of what they were eating, but their loss was my gain. :D
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

What does muskrat taste like????????????????????????? :o :? :shock:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Rick Teal

Post by Rick Teal »

Moose by a mile.
I hunt, therefore I am.
JRS

Post by JRS »

dick195252 wrote:What does muskrat taste like????????????????????????? :o :? :shock:
They kind of remind me of BBQ ribs. Only the hind end was served. I quess it was because there really isn't much meat on the front end.
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

Great Post! My self I prefer moose also.

This post reminds me of a artical in one of my Varmint Hunter Magazines...I forget the month.

Anyway, the artical was about the best tasting animal in the world. The authur had hunted and shot almost everything in north america and had been to many places around the world and no mater the animal he tried it. The worst tasting was Sea Gull (go figure!) #2 on the list was beaver (and it had to be young...he said that he once tried and old tough male and it was very close to the sea gull!!!)

#1 on his list was the North America Couger or Mountain Lion. He continued on to tell that bob cat was also very high on his list and others.

Amazing that the cats would be at the top of the list...maybe some of the stories are true about cats and some parts of Toronto????

Great artical and if I can find it I will scan it and post it.

RyanB
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Ok now where do i get Moose to try??????????? :? I would love to plan a hunting trip in the next couple years where do i find info on where to go,guides or outfitters, etc. Where is the best part of Canada for Moose population?
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

And here I was laughing at the restaurant down the street with a smorgasbord................. " Six bucks, all the cats you can eat. " I think I'll take my wife there tonight. :lol: :lol:

Grey Owl
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

DICK.Newfoundland has the highest density of mooseper mile anywherecheck their website newfoundland/labrador.as a non resident you have to go through a outfiter.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Thank You bait pile willie :D i sent for there Tourist package i will spend more time on the site latter :wink: Do appreciate the Info :wink:
Old Buck

Post by Old Buck »

I agree with bbbwb it,s all in how you prosses the meat. I bone out all of it and remove as much fat as possible. I have had people say they do,nt like venison, but did not know they were eating it. AS for marinating goes it,s great on bear roasts and steaks. If I had a choice I would take all wild meet as it is. It knocks my colesterol down. But my doctor has to be educated. :) :) :) It,s better than a frown.