How do you cook wild turkey?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kitty kat

How do you cook wild turkey?

Post by kitty kat »

With any luck this will be my first wild turkey hunt. What is the best way to cook them. A friend suggested to bbq the breast and either make soup out of the rest or just forget it. Got to be better ways. Any suggestions. :?
Excalibur Exomax and Arctic Cat 400 auto. Life don't get much better than that.
HW

Post by HW »

I roasted one a couple of years ago. After four hours we took it out and carved it. All of the meat was great except the drumsticks. I threw them in a crock pot and left it on over night. Made a wonderful turkey stew with the rest of the left overs from the night before.

A slow cooker is a great tool for any poor cuts of meat wild or domestic.

You are going to love the wild turkey. It will taste great and all natural. No roids.
Exocet 175
Boo String (Red&Black)
GT II's
2" Blazers
Slick Tricks
Dan Miller Mount
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I either deep fry whole or cut the breast up in strips and shake them up in some cajun fish crisp then deep fry and put the legs in the slow cooker and stew them up :D
The best things in life are not things!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

This past Thanksgiving my wife cooked one I had skinned when I cleaned it by covering the entire breast with bacon strips, put stuffing in the body cavity, and baked it in a "baking bag".
I'd have to get the recipe details from her, but I can say it came out quite tasty!
A wild turkey usually needs a cooking method that adds moisture, or at least keeps the moisture from baking out. An old tom is best cooked by fileting the breast into strips, breading, and deep frying. A younger bird can be baked in a more traditional manner, but a cooking bag and adding moisture is a good idea.
wabi
Fox

Post by Fox »

Cooked mine just like wabi, make sure to wrap the legs though too, I did not and they became really tough.

Best tasting turkey I have ever had.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I use a 12 ga with 3.5" turkey loads,Oh Yeah,thats how to smoke them.
I like them Baked or deep fried.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Have cooked turkeys various ways oven whole ,deep fried whole,deep fried in chunks,cooked in a garbage can whole(large dutch oven) :) ,and have been chunking them up lately .Makes for the bird to go further.As for the legs ,cook them then take and put them in the frig after cooking .The next day it makes it easier to pull the meat off of all the guard bones.Bag it and it can be used in soup,spagetti,stews or any other thing you would use small pieces of meat.
The cooking it in a garbage can got it`s looks for we did it at my parents 40th .But the bird is very tender for it is like a very large dutch oven.
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

the best i have found,,,,,,,the breast cut in small strips ,take either harold ensley fish fry or cagun fish fry put them in a zip lock bag shake them then deep fry them,very good . the legs are tougher than boot leather but we keep trying something new every year. there arent much left after you take the breast.

have a goodin h.j.
they say he is still up there.
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

I like to Inject them with "zesty Italian dressing" then deep fried. Might not be the healthiest but UMm Good!
catcher

Post by catcher »

I usually breast them out and freeze each breast seperately. Then I can spread it out longer. I put bacon strips on the breast and bake in oven. Or cut the breast into strips or chunks and deep fry. I think you could deep fry anything and it would taste good. Anything that is bad for you and slows your heart down usually tastes good.
Last edited by catcher on Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

I get 7 meals for my family of 4 out of one turkey. Each breast can be sliced into filets and pan fried or bbq'd (thats two)
Each hind quarter can be thrown into a crock pot with carrots, cellery, potatoes onions, can of tomatoes & white wine. (thats another two).
The carcus can be split on two. I then put half the carcus and a wing in a bag for soup so I get two of those!
And finaly the neck is nice and long. I've used it to make soup & have also used it in the crock pot adding it to my quarter dark in a stew.
Delicious!!! :P
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes!

Excal Micro 335
bbbwb

How to cook Wild turkey?

Post by bbbwb »

I have cooked them as one would a domestic --- stuffing and roasting in the oven. Turned out very well. I have also cooked in the garbage can in the summer time when we had a gathering. It was to add some reason for a topic for conversation approach but it also yielded a fine product. Both methods were well received and I would recommend either with no hesitation. In fact the garbage can is ideal for an outdoor gathering as it can be done with no heating up the house with the oven being on. It is just like having a BBQ gathering.
bbbwb
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: Deep fried is the only way to go! :lol: :lol:
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

This year we will try deep fried, last year the wife made kabobs out of it, an they were great that way!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I cooked the legs of my 26 lb breeder tom for a day, then threw them out. Aside from stinking like a boar pig, he was tougher than nails. Did make passable jerkey tho.