with and without STS system

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

groundpounder

with and without STS system

Post by groundpounder »

I know there have been alot of writings on here about trying to quiet your crossbows and most to no avail. A friend of mine (War Paint) purchased Greywolfs Exocet 200 with all the goodies done to it. It had the STS system, foam filled and teflon coated rail, and some string silencers added to it. I also have the Exocet 200 but without all of those goodies. We shot both bows this week and I was amazed at how much quieter and less "twang" all of the goodies made. I cannot say which one made the biggest difference but I would guess the STS system and probably the foam filling of the rail. I know what I will be working on in the near future for mine now. Very impressed!
Why ride when you can walk!
cajun

Post by cajun »

Were you both shooting the same weight arrow? The same string material?

Thanks,,,,
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Why do you want it quieter? (Been wanting to ask that question for a long time.) My bows are shooting well over 300 fps. At 30 yards, the deer is unlikely to jump the string at that speed. However, if you miss you're unlikely to get a second shot due to all the motion and noise involved in re cocking the x bow, regardless how quiet the shot was.. Then too if you silence your string with whiskers etc, you're slowing the speed of the arrow; perhaps to the point where the deer CAN jump th string. I'm thinkin' this quieter x bow thing is a carryover from shooting verticals and ultimately just a lot ado about nothing.
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

No we were not. He was shooting XX75's and I was shooting carbon laser G2's. He was shooting a Boo string and I was shooting a Comfybear string. I know there are alot of variables between our two xbow set ups and what all can affect sound. But I still think the STS and the foam filling are the biggest contributers to making it more quiet. I work with machinery every day and know that vibration is not good for it. Help eliminate the vibration and I believe the better it will perform.
Why ride when you can walk!
Big John

quiet

Post by Big John »

cossack: Putting foam filling, STS, Cover on the Bolt clip, teflon coating, all to reduce noise and vibration, will not slow down the Bow at all. Not even a little. :)

And quiet is always nice. :wink: Adding things to the string, that's different. But all the above, maybe faster. 8)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Esox

Post by Esox »

These are the things that GREYWOLF, Mathias and others have been saying for some time now.... There are ways to quiet the bow without losing arrow speed.....Is it needed?.... Probably not unless a second shot is possible, but even then it's probably not essential...

However, if I have my druthers, I'd rather shoot a quiet bow....
Normous

Post by Normous »

I've got all those goodies on the Equinox and Vortex and the best investment to reduse noise and vibration was Boo's whisker string. Speed loss was not a factor according to my extensive chronogragh testing. About a minimal 3 fps loss was recorded during my tests, not enough for any deer to jump the string as a previous poster suggested.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

For me, it's more about getting a shot at a second deer. I had the opportunity to shoot a second doe in Dec. 07, but passed it up hoping a large buck would be following along. There were four does in the group, I got one and could have taken another. They were within 15 yards of the doe I shot, but, did not see me shoot. Nor did they see me reload. They kept looking and stomping in my direction, but, I could have had an easy 25 yard shot at the largest doe in the leftover three. Maybe my dampener had something to do with that. Or maybe it was all the construction noise in the surburban area where I hunt. Either way, I like the quieter bow.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

I hardly feel qualified to comment on the STS, but I have the system on my Phoenix and have fired a grand total of 2 shots. :?
Had to see how they fit & looked, but the weather has made it difficult to get outdoors to do any real comparisons. Our shooting bench cover was destroyed by wind this winter and I just don't enjoy shooting off a snow & ice covered bench, so I've postponed further testing until the weather improves. :wink: I don't like to make a with/without comparison indoors at my 10 yard target because the acoustics are deceptive.
Not really all that concerned with noise when hunting, anyway. The deer is is going to hear the shot regardless, so I get very close before I shoot. :wink:
What I do try to find is ways to reduce vibration and recoil, and the STS seems to make quite a difference. On the 2 shots I took I noticed my crosshairs stayed right on target through the entire shot sequence including "follow through". The arrow was in the target and the crosshairs didn't move much at all.
I thought the catwhiskers Boo put on my string(s) made a huge difference in noise & vibration, too. With the Boo string and the STS together the noise & vibration are much less noticeable.
A deer is definitely still going to hear the shot, but it may give less of a response? If you were trying to slip along without being detected which would startle you worse - the sound of a baseball dropping to the ground, or a can full of rocks dropping? The Boo string & STS seems to reduce the noise to a dull thud (like a baseball hitting the ground). Without them it's more like a can full of rocks rattling around! :lol:
wabi
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Anyone have a pic of an installed STS system? TIA!
"Eze 18:21"
Boo

Post by Boo »

awshucks wrote:Anyone have a pic of an installed STS system? TIA!
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hlight=sts
I'll bring you one this week Dan.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
TPM

Post by TPM »

A deer is definitely still going to hear the shot, but it may give less of a response? If you were trying to slip along without being detected which would startle you worse - the sound of a baseball dropping to the ground, or a can full of rocks dropping?
This past shotgun season I have two does walk out in front of my ground blind. They were 15 yards away, both easy broadside shots, both about the same size so I decided to take the lead one. After firing a 12ga. slug from 15 yards the lead doe was dead before she hit the ground and the second doe, which was about 10 feet behind her just stood there and looked around. She finally calmly walked off back into the bush. I know this is an extreme case but based on what I've experienced in my years of deer hunting it seems to me deer are more spooked by small noises than large.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

Maybe it's just me...... or maybe it's the beer...

But I can't find the STS system at;
- Excalibur 2008 Catelog
- Bass Pro Shops Online
- Archers Nook
- Cabela's Online

Where can I get one? how much do they run?
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

I'm starting to learn how important the "post-shot" is. Many people tend to do alot of moving after a shot due to excitment, or whatever. Maybe its not the sound of the bow getting deer spooked, maybe its the suspious movements in the trees.