Broadhead for Turkey

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CRASHCOSBO

Broadhead for Turkey

Post by CRASHCOSBO »

I'm sure I'll get as many different answers as there are broadheads but I'm looking for a few reccomendations... I was looking at the Guiilotine(sp) but it looked like it did alot of damage to the meat...that new Turkey tearror one looked realy nice but VERRRRy Pricey...any comments???
Thanks!!!
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness"
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

the Guillotine doesn't cause a lot of damage to the meat, it is supposed to be used for neck shots, to decapitate the turkey. Hence to body remains undamaged. I hear however they are unstable fliers, inaccurate, and EXPENSIVE.

Others use their broadhead of choice + some Zwicky Grapplers to slow the bolt down.
Digger wrote:Use a good broadhead an d a Zwickey Grappler behind it to stop pass thrus and the turkey from flying off. I use a 100gr Slick trick with mine.

I however will be shooting the new Rocket Turkey Tom-a-Hawk. That WILL cause a lot of meat damage though.

3.5" Cutting Diameter, 150Grain, mechanical broadhead
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

i use the same broad head that i use on deer ,shoot them in the vitals.

hatchet jack
they say he is still up there.
War Paint

Post by War Paint »

Bass Pro in Ga did not have the slick Trick or the Zwickey Grappler.
They do carry the Guillotine. (cool video on them)
Where are you guys finding them from ?
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I use the same set-up as photoed above, the Slicks and Zwickeys. Not the largest cut out there but amazingly accurate.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
MasterCaster

Post by MasterCaster »

I will never use any of the stopping devices again. I took my 60 year old step dad out last spring and after 5 days of HARD hunting he stuck one at 20 yards - perfect broadside shot. The stopper hung up on the wing bone. The turkey simply opened its wing and ripped the arrow out yanking out an entire lung with it. I tracked that bird for 4 hours snaking through about 400 yards of hardwoods and cedar swamp and accross a big creek. Never did find it.

After that episode I'm confident in my tracking and would much prefer a pass through.

MC
Sudbury ON

175 lb Pheonix
FFF String
Gold Tips
Varizone scope

Some fathers put sunscreen on the kids SOME - "Put Doe Urine"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

MasterCaster wrote: The turkey simply opened its wing and ripped the arrow out yanking out an entire lung with it. I tracked that bird for 4 hours snaking through about 400 yards of hardwoods and cedar swamp and accross a big creek. Never did find it.
MC
That sounds like a bird I wouldn't want to mess with! I am thinking something/someone scooped it up before you got to it. Not many animals can go through that kind of punishment and still get away.
That must have been very frustrating!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
CRASHCOSBO

Post by CRASHCOSBO »

Thanks Guys...I did a bit of looking around today and found some spitfire gobbler getters that looked nice.. but I re checked on those Turkey Tearror ones and they are on the Cabelas site for $29 for three so not so bad of a price and they are one MEAN looking broadhead......once again I ventured into LeBaron's and was again overwhelmed by the utter lack of enthusiasm from the staff....I cant wait till we get a Bass Pro or a Cabelas near Ottawa......I get better service shopping online....
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness"