Make your own tube call

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

saxman

Make your own tube call

Post by saxman »

The tube call is very popular with a select group of hunters, but is often overlooked because some consider it hard to find and difficult to use. However, it's for these very reasons that the tube call is so great in the woods - turkeys never hear them.

Kenny Morgan of Morgan's Turkey Callers patented the first tube call in 1973. Since then, other companies, including Hunter Specialties and Knight & Hale, have marketed tube calls.

Tube calls are excellent for tight-lipped gobblers because they sound different than the diaphragm, box and slate calls that get sent at them during the spring, and different can get a response. Tube calls are also good because they make all wild turkey sounds including gobbles and kee kee runs with a little practice.

Another advantage of tube calls is that they can be made quite easily using household components. All you need is a PVC pipe couple, butter lid, latex glove and a rubber band to make a call that will make even the most pesky gobbler puff up with excitement.

This link is slow to load.

http://www.nwtf.org/tv_magazines/images ... e_Call.pdf
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
codsterboy

Post by codsterboy »

O.K. this may sound stupid , But how do you use it to make different sounds? How much of a gap between the lip rest and diaphragm?
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

I am going to try turkey hunting this spring, How do you use the tube call?

Help Please, Stosh
saxman

Post by saxman »

I will write up instructions and post,
My Bad
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
saxman

Post by saxman »

Here is a picture of one made from a 35mm film canister,very easy to make.Notice the gap,mine is a little less than an 1/8th"

Here is the link to this call

http://www.nwtf.org/jakes/tube_call.html

Place your bottom lip on the solid surface of the lid with a little of the bottom lip touching the laytex your top lip sits on the top edge of the call.Everyone is different,most of my bottom lip is on the reed,that works best for me you'll have to play with it for your sound.
Sounds are produced by lip pressure and tounging. to gobble you say Tick-a-tick-a-tick-a-tick-a or Tuck-a-tucka-a start with more volume and go to less.To cluck say TUCK-TUCK. By moving your lower jaw up and down you can manipulate the sounds.for me the jaw changes the sound but the tounging is just as important.
pratice different pressures and tounging technique to produce the sounds.
If you buy a commercial one they have more detailed instructions.
It's a great call that not alot of people use because it is HARD like the wingbone but being a sax player I have used these musscles and tounging techniques for years so these calls,tube,wingbone,diaphram came easy to me.
They are worth the pratice but be warned they will strain your marraige and relationships with the people around you so I do it in the car.
And of course be careful when gobbleing on public land lest you become the hunted.
I carry my decoys in a blaze orange bag and strap it to the tree I am sitting under on the back of the tree so at least anyone from behind can see it and anyone from in fron I can see.Never wave your hands at an approaching hunter because of movement,rather,call out in a loud voice.I have been shot at for doing that,wont do it again.
I hope this helps.
I have a custom one I got off e bay made of hickory with matching crow call.
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Awesome sax. Thanks for the idea. I can't wait to try it out. I bet my girl friend gets a real kick out of it. :wink:

Congrats on the double too. That was a very impressive shot and a cool looking buck.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
codsterboy

Post by codsterboy »

thanks for the info!!! Me and my son will make both types and try to figure out how to use them before spring season.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've used that type call and they do work well.
Hardest thing is to bear having your lip tickled. :lol:
Seems like all mouth calls for turkey have their obstacles to overcome. Gagged by a diaphragm, or tickled by a tube call!
wabi
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

Thanks, It works well, gotta practice. Stosh