finally got a day to compare the STS equipped...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

finally got a day to compare the STS equipped...

Post by wabi »

...Phoenix to a "stock" factory Phoenix.
I had my Phoenix with a Boo "catwhiskered" string and the STS system on it (but the factory DBs have been removed) and my buddy's Phoenix with DBs & the factory supplied dacron string.
Unfortunately my movie camera decided to quit on me, so I didn't get video & audio of the comparison. :cry:
The factory equipped Phoenix was much louder when shot beside my customized Phoenix outdoors. I tested them by both doing the actual shooting myself, and having my buddy shoot while I stood back and listened. Also had a "neutral" third party (my son) along to give his opinion on noise level. We all were in full agreement my Phoenix is much quieter!
It may not really matter to a deer when it comes to "jumping the string", but I think the noise reduction may be benificial for actual hunting. I still wouldn't count on it to increase ethical range, but it makes me feel even more secure with my self-imposed range limit of 30 yards.
Would I recommend running out and buying the STS system? If you are like me and most of your shots are well under 25 yards, it probably isn't going to make a bit of difference in your kill percentage. But if you like to take longer shots (25 - 40 yards & beyond) it just might lessen a deer's reaction to the noise since it's more a dull thud than a loud twaaaang! I think a good comparison would be dropping a softball onto the ground as compared to a can full of rocks. The softball is going to make noise, but it's not prolonged or all that unnatural, the rocks are going to rattle around and definately sound unnatural in the great outdoors!
wabi
Big John

STS

Post by Big John »

Thanks for the update wabi. 8)
I believe there is a few more questions on the STS before I actually buy one.
1) Does it matter if the bumpers contact the serving instead of just string?
Or string and not serving?
2) How many shots can you get before changing pads?
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Thank You for the valuable info :!:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Boo

Re: STS

Post by Boo »

John wrote:Thanks for the update wabi. 8)
The bumper should have a minor amount of pressure on the string to snub any vibration that emanates from the limb tips and down the string. Both the string and the limbs act as speakers for the vibration. It's like putting your finger on a guitar string that is vibrating. It stops immediately.
The kit comes with enough Fast Flight string material to serve on the area that the bumpers contact. Do that or just reserve the string to accommodate the bumpers.
Donno the answer to the longevity question. I'm sure we'll hear about it soon.
Wabi, I believe you have the analogy of the noise pegged perfectly.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

[quote="Boo"]...................................
The kit comes with enough Fast Flight string material to serve on the area that the bumpers contact. Do that or just reserve the string to accommodate the bumpers..........................
quote]

Ah! Thats' what it is and what it's for! It would have been a whole lot nicer if the instructions had said that in the first place!
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
oldbhtrnewequip

Post by oldbhtrnewequip »

Boo wrote:
John wrote:Thanks for the update wabi. 8)
The bumper should have a minor amount of pressure on the string to snub any vibration that emanates from the limb tips and down the string. Both the string and the limbs act as speakers for the vibration. It's like putting your finger on a guitar string that is vibrating. It stops immediately.
The kit comes with enough Fast Flight string material to serve on the area that the bumpers contact. Do that or just reserve the string to accommodate the bumpers.
Donno the answer to the longevity question. I'm sure we'll hear about it soon.
Wabi, I believe you have the analogy of the noise pegged perfectly.
I can wait to try out your/my new string combination Boo. I've got an STS coming in but not til wyvern has some limbsavers to add to the order.

I hope to do incremental testing with a db meter for all combinations.

most quiet boo string sts limbsaver
boo string sts no limbsaver
boo string no sts limbsaver
stock string sts limbsaver
boo string no sts no limbsaver
stock string sts no limbsaver
stock string no sts limbsaver
most noisy stock string no sts no limbsaver

Your string,
Your string with STS,

STS,

limbsavers,
STS, and limbsavers
oldbhtrnewequip

Post by oldbhtrnewequip »

wasn't quite finished editing that post but you get the idea.
:D
Boo

Post by Boo »

One thing that is going to be hard to relay to the others is the lack of shock on the shot. Not a clue on how to illustrate that.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Ah! Thats' what it is and what it's for! It would have been a whole lot nicer if the instructions had said that in the first place!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice to know I'm not the only one who threw it in the trash when I couldn't find a place to fit it on the STS bracket. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Boo,
I had never heard the reduction of shock/recoil mentioned before I put my STS on the bow. I was listening intently to the noise, but it took a couple shots before it hit me how steady my hold was on the target during "follow-through". On a shot without the STS the recoil isn't bad, but the crosshairs usually "jump" when you shoot. With the STS they stayed pretty well right on the bullseye. Not a huge day/night type differance, but a differance I noticed.
BTW - I'm in the habit of watching the arrow hit through the scope as a "follow-through" ritual. Can't always see it in flight, but I can see the fletching when it hits the target.
wabi
Boo

Post by Boo »

Mike, I also believe with the right string it will greatly reduce the possibility of limb damage on a dry-fire. Of course I am not voicing the opinion of Excalibur nor am I encouraging such practice. Read my last post here. http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=21232
Esox

Post by Esox »

Just bought a sound meter today so when I can get oout to the range I'm going to try some testing with the STS dampeners on my Exomax... Plus I also have the Mathias V-bar system to test too and as well as Boo whiskered string, so I hope to test each component independently ...... Probably won't be much difference relative to killing a deer at 20 yds but it should make for some interesting comparisons
Boo

Post by Boo »

You know guys, I have the utmost respect for those who want to further this sport by trying different things with open minds. Let me know what I can do to help this along.