Turkey hunting ??????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

Turkey hunting ??????

Post by raydaughety »

Hey guy's, I just got a call from the president of NCHS and got the wonderful news. A once in a lifetime fully guided turkey hunt was donated to Tyler for his efforts. The hunt will be held near the NC / VA line on a private farm. Tyler will be guided by a professional guide and the hunt will be video taped. Bad news is, I've only turkey hunted once and really need some information on what he will need. He has some SWEET new boots 8) , and we are going to try and find some leafy camo, headnet and gloves. The problem is the gun. I really can't afford to buy a gun for a 1 time hunt but here's what we have. 1 Remington 1100 12 ga 3' Mag 30" full choke W/O vented rib. Tyler's shot gun is an 1100, 20 ga. 2&3/4" 26" Mod choke, W/O vented rib as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW, the turkey will be mounted at no charge :wink:

God Bless,

P.S. I think that I'm more excited that Tyler is and I don't get to hunt. I've taken him a few times around here but he's never even heard a turkey gobble.

Thanks Guys,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Big John

turkey

Post by Big John »

If you can bring the bird into 30 yds. or less. It won't matter what type of gun you use. Just aim for the neck and base of neck area. Even the twenty ga. will work fine. Have fun. :) Would be better if you could get a full choke or extra full, but you don't stay home without one. :wink:
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Are they in a blind or on the ground? Something to consider is a bi-pod, thats a big gun to hold up for a while..
I would choose the bigger of the two guns, and do some patterning to see what is happening, full choke is often enough.
Turkey loads hurt.

Congrats Tyler! Make one dead!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wabi

Post by wabi »

A lot depends on Tyler's ability to hit with the gun. The 12ga throws a lot more shot, but shot whistling over the turkey's head isn't lethal. :wink:
The 20ga with a good patterning load of 6 or even 7½ shot should be lethal at under 30 yards. (yes - I have successfully used 7½ shot - it is very lethal with multiple hits and at under 30 yards has enough energy to penetrate the head & neck)
If Tyler has any problems with accuracy you could always add a scope mount & red-dot type sight for a reasonable price. The main thing is knowing the gun's patterning ability and keeping shots within range.
Buy or print some turkey silhouette targets http://www.remington.com/library/downlo ... argets.asp and do some shooting. I'd try the 20ga with heavy charges and see what it will do.
wabi
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Wabi has a good point ,a red dot would probably be a good idea .And it can be used for the shotgun hunt for deer as well. :)
saxman

Post by saxman »

Congrats Tyler.
Like I said, your good deeds will come back to you 10 fold.
Let me know if you need any calls and I will send them to you,I also have a Jakes Vest you can use if you like,let me know buddy.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Esox

Post by Esox »

Hey Ray,
Either gun will do the job just make sure he can handle the recoil, cause those turkey loads can kick!!!... especially in a light weight gun like that 20 ga... I had my sister use one when she was interested in going turkey hunting with me and the first couple of shots really rocked her.... Get Tyler out on the range and pattern the gun with #5 and/or #6 turkey loads at 30 yds to see where the pattern hits... See which works best for that particular gun.... Use the turkey head outline and aim the shotgun (like a rifle ) at the base of the neck... the pattern should cover the head neck fully.. Look for pattern density and holes in the pattern... Then make sure he does some practicing from a sitting position knees up and with a bi-pod if he uses that and in full camo, face mask included...The gun and shot sequence feels a lot different then... Also, find out if they hunt from blinds or not... Then watch a couple of turkey hunting videos to get a sense of what to expect... All the information is available today, so with a little homewrk he'll do just fine....
wabi

Post by wabi »

A B-Square mount would work for a scope or red-dot without the need of gunsmithing. But if you have a good gunsmith available a regular Weaver type base can easily be fit to the reciever. I've used the B-Square on an 870 in the past.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0006213
wabi
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

The 20 ga is a mod and the 12 is a full choke. The way that the B-Square is designed, does the front have to sit on the vent rib? If so it won't work because both guns are plain barrels.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
wabi

Post by wabi »

Ray,
The B-square locks onto the reciever by replacing the trigger pins with cross bolts. Doesn't matter what barrel it has on it.
Another option for Tyler would be the 12ga with lighter loads. Just because he's hunting turkeys doesn't mean he has to use maximum loads - especially for practice! You could pick a heavy turkey load that performs well then save it for actual hunting (but someone would have to test fire a few to be sure they pattern well). Let him practice with 1⅛ or 1¼ oz loads and save the 2 oz loads for hunting. With a big gobbler in the sights he probably won't notice the gun went off. :wink: :lol:
wabi
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Wabi you're right about that. He has shot my 1100 with 3" 00buckshot so I think that he will do just fine. I'm going to order the mount next week but I'm still looking at scopes. Any deals out there? Please keep a look out for me. Your gonna wind up getting that 50 cal Investarms ML REAL CHEAP here soon :wink: . This is a chance of a lifetime for Tyler and I'll do what it takes.

God Bless,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Ray, you're good to go with either of those guns ... just pattern them both, pick one, and take reasonable shots.

You don't need anything extra to kill a turkey.

Remember ... old timers wiped out or nearly eliminated turkey populations in most of the eastern US with plain old shotguns (the majority of which were cheap single-shots) firing plain shotshells!

If Tyler can keep the pattern centered on a target, and if enough pellets are in the vital zone, you're golden within sensible range.
Grizz
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

I bought my B-Square mount WITH scope included from Bass Pro . THINK I paid $89.99 . If he can handle the 00buck in the 12 ga. , then turkey loads won't be a problem.
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

Congrats, I have a used simmons reddot that I will donate to Tyler if you are interested. It mounts on a weaver base. I was useing it on my exocet but went to a muzzleloader diamond scope. I do not have a base but if you get one the red dot is tylers.

Happy Hunting, Stosh
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Stosh, it should work on the B-Square mount shouldn't it?
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray