Turkey hunting ??????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Stosh

Post by Stosh »

yes it will fit that mount!!!
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Congrats Tyler, you are going to love it. I have killed all my turkeys with a 12 guage 1187. Sometimes with 2 3/4 and sometimes with 3 inch shells depending on what I can find at the store. I am sure either of those guns will work well. I was even going to say that a scope is not needed as long as tyler puts in some good practice sessions but if you are going to borrow one for free then it can't hurt. I have found that my favotite load is a duplex load consisting of # 4 and 6 shot together. I always aim at the head or just over the head with my gun and I havn't had one get up yet. I would second the recomendation of a shooting stick/bipod if Tyler is just going to be sitting on the ground because the gun can get very heavy when you can't move. Also consider camo with more greens in it than you would use for deer because the forest will be sprouting with fresh new growth when you are out there. Other than that, the guide should have you covered. Make shure Tyler knows how well turkeys can see and how easy it is to get busted and above all else have fun.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I use my all around gun :wink: . 12 guage Winchester 1300, 28", 3" chamber. The only modification I did was to add a turkey choke. Makes a huge difference over my full choke at longer ranges. Get a few different boxes of turkey loads and try them through the gun. Pick the one that patterns the best.

Good luck and tell Tyler to have fun. It is awesome when they are in close gobbling. They are so loud and can make you jump right out of your boots if you're caught off guard :lol: .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Try some Winchester Extended Range loads in either 5 pr 6 shot. Simply awesome. I took two birds over 40 yards with same.
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

congrads tyler,you will have a great hunt,,,,,,,,,ray that 20 gague is all he needs,go to walmart buy a $20.00 turkey choke,( undertaker) if they have it. plenty of gun,,,,i shoot a 12 my broinlaw shoots a 20 he kills just as many turkey that i do,only diffrence 20 dont have as many pellets,,,,use # 5 shot. we hunt a lot of turkeys you can kill a turkey at 40 yards with a 20 by using a turkey choke & #5 shot remington nitro turkey loads,,,,,,,,,they have a little kick,,put your sight on his neck.
squeeze that trigger, tyler,,,,,,,you cant miss,,,he.he.
have a great hunt , hatchetjack
they say he is still up there.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Hatchet Jack, the problem is that his barrel is fixed modified choke. I would have to have a gunsmith thread the barrel and buy some chokes. I may sell my O/U and see if I can get him something ready to go so that he can start practicing. I'm going to hit the pawn shops today and try and find a 870 pump in 12 ga for him. If anyone has a shotgun for sale, please let me know.

God Bless,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

ray,you can buy a single shot new england arms 20 or 12 full choke at a hock shop for about $100.00 i have one i use when i get tired dragging the 1100 around they are lighter than a feather & kick like a mule but make a good turkey gun.( slip a kisk boot over the stock)

even if his gun is a modified barrel it will still shoot good, use those # 5 nirtos remington,get a cardboard box back off 30 yards see how many pellets he puts in a 6inch circle,it will surprise you. i let my granson use a old 20 ga.bolt acton mossberg with light loads ,he kills tirkeys at 30 yards.
hatchet jack
they say he is still up there.
Esox

Post by Esox »

Ray,
Brother, Don't bother buying a new gun... Everyone here is right... Either one of those guns will kill turkeys every day of the week.... Before all this high power, high tech stuff got to be the rage, I was using a full choke and high brass 4's and a single front bead..... I took birds out to 40 yds...As long as I kept my face on the stock and "aimed" down the barrel of that gun.....

Both the modifed and full choke shooting high powered turkey loads will do the job... You can make adjustments with the loads you use ( i.e., using either 3 inch or 2 3/4, or copper 4's, hevi-shot 5's, duplex combos) It's almost endless..... What's important is to have Tyler use the gun that he's most comfortable with, pattern it at the range, try a couple of different loads and pick the one with the best pattern... Scopes and red dots are nice but not necessary... Confidence in the gun and shooting ability kills more birds than extra options....

I have no doubt that the guide will have those gobblers dancing in front at a very shootable 30 yds range and Tyler's gonna squeeze the trigger and nail his first Tom...And then you're going to have to figure out where to put the mount...

Oh yeah, it's best not to shoot them in the strut.. It can be done at close range, but sometimes the puffed out feathers can act like armor. Wait till he gets in range and stretches his neck up to look for the hen..

Then Blast 'em !!
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Esox, I'm sure your right but I just want him to succeed so bad. I totally forgot about my new Remington Spartan 20 ga O/U. It shoots 3" shells but I'll have to find a way to temporarily camo it. Maybe a gun sock for a O/U? Thanks for the reality check guys.

God Bless,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Ray,

If Tyler is going on a fully guided hunt on a private farm then they will know what they are doing and they will call a turkey in nice and close for him.

Have you contacted the outfitter to tell them what you've got and to see if they think it's going to be okay? Maybe they'll even have a gun for him to use.

Just a thought.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
HW

Post by HW »

Don't worry too much about camo either. I use a stock 870 12 gauge with no camo or scope. It will be how comfortable he is with the gun that will make the difference. They will have him set up for a great shot. I know he will be successful with his experience. You should be more worried about how to cook the meat and where to mount the trphey when he gets back.

Again cograts Tyler.
Exocet 175
Boo String (Red&Black)
GT II's
2" Blazers
Slick Tricks
Dan Miller Mount
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I just got off the phone with the outfitter and got a little better idea as to what to expect. Of course hunting is hunting and there are no guarantees but they are seeing plenty of birds in the rye fields throughout the day. The hunt will be on the first day of our youth season. I guess that like anything else, turkey hunting has it's own slangs, "Run and Gun"? Doesn't sound real safe but not being a turkey hunter, I have no idea what he is talking about :oops: . I really hope that Tyler is successful but the experience will be a blessing in itself. Oh, he did highly recommend a 12 ga and shots will be limited to 40 yards so we will start practicing this weekend.

God Bless,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Do ya bass fish? :D Run and gun is simply, go to a spot try it for a short time, if nothing happens, pack up and go to a new spot. Bass fisherman use the term while running around the lake trying to find active fish. Same idea as turkey hunting.

Don't worry. The guide will make sure Tyler is good and tired and he'll sleep well :D .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Well the gun problem has been solved. Remember, Tyler has a youth 1100 20 ga with a Mod choke and I have an 1100 in 12 ga, 30" full choke. I switched the stocks and forearms and it fits him perfectly :wink: . I hope to have the mount by friday and the scope should be here by then as well. Now we wait, I hate to wait. I have a Stoeger that I may use hunting around here when we get back but I really want to get one with my exomag 8) . I has better start practicing myself :wink: . Thanks for all the help and I'll accept any advice that you guys care to send our way.

God Bless,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
wabi

Post by wabi »

Ray,
Glad to hear the stock switch worked!
I'll mail the red-dot in the morning (UPSP Priority) It should be there by Saturday.
wabi