Skunk problem

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jay73

Post by jay73 »

I'd put the garden hose under there then turn on the tap, that should move her out long enough for you to seal up the burrow. :D

Jay
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Our dog tangled with one last September. My wife tried 3 different de-skunk formulas and Nellwyn was still stinky until Christmas. She had weekly baths on top of the formulas and it was still months before she smelled like a normal dog again!

She got sprayed in the mouth and the skin on her lips peeled off :shock: . She'd probably do it again, given the chance :D .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Dog De-Skunking recipe:

1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1 teaspoon liquid dish soap

Wet the dog, and work the formula through their fur. Leave the mixture on the dog for four or five minutes, and then rinse thoroughly. Throw out any leftover mixture.

Mix immediately before use - can NOT be premixed or stored.

I've used this more often than I wanted to and it works pretty well.

I've also read that the scent-eliminating liquid laundry detergents that we use for our hunting clothing would work as well. Hope I never need to try it again! :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
bbbwb

Skunks

Post by bbbwb »

Let's say I am fortunate that I have not needed to try it but a neighbour had on 2 separate incidents both his dog and daughter experience skunk encounters.He used "Tomato Juice bath" He remarked that it worked very well. He bought no name brand juice and put it in the bathtub. He used a bath of pure tomato juice. There are manufactured products as well as recipes for this purpose but has anyone had the unfortunate task to try out both and thus compare?

bbbwb
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The recipe that Vix posted is the best, I refer a couple hundred people a year to it.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

skunks are easy to trap , just make sure you use a small live trap designed for skunks , with skunks if they CAN NOT get there tail up in the air they CAN NOT spray , then you can walk right over and pick the cage up by the handle and take it for a long drive more than 5 km and release it in a bush , or give it the lead pill , your choice. just remamber if you shoot them as they are dieing they release all bodly fluids (very stinky)
A.W

Re: Skunks

Post by A.W »

bbbwb wrote:Let's say I am fortunate that I have not needed to try it but a neighbour had on 2 separate incidents both his dog and daughter experience skunk encounters.He used "Tomato Juice bath" He remarked that it worked very well. He bought no name brand juice and put it in the bathtub. He used a bath of pure tomato juice. There are manufactured products as well as recipes for this purpose but has anyone had the unfortunate task to try out both and thus compare?

bbbwb
Many years ago My dog investigated a skunk in the back yard. I got him into the bathtub and washed him down with tomato juice. It worked really well.

I figured the only way to do it was to jump into the bath with him. When I reported for duty the Sgt sent me home for a shower. Seems I got used to the smell. :lol:

My dog was a funny colour for a couple of days but it does work.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

You could try this contraption on the local skunks . I would think you need to be up wind and a good distance away :lol:

http://www.break.com/index/backyard-skunk-catapult.html
crowe

Post by crowe »

I'm in the sarnia area and do nuisence animal work .I have done tons of skunks and use odor free techniques. p.m. me for more info