New Compound is Home

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Post by Boo »

BigUgly wrote:This is a 60# bow turned down to 52#. I will have it up to 60 by the time moose season gets here. Right now with my arrow wieght and speed I have 45.38lbs of K/E which they say is more than enough for deer. I'm told at the shop by the time I'm doen the bow will be shooting them at 260-270fps which will give me 60 or more K/E.
And you believe an Ex Oshawa copper? LOL!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

So Boo are you saying these numbers may be a little opptimistic. I'm not a speed freak by any means but I want to know if what I have will be suitable for moose.
Boo

Post by Boo »

No, You'll probably get 270 or so. I think 250 would be adequate as well. With your arrows that will be more than you need for moose. You should go to a peep and cut on contacts like Montecs or something similar. I'm no expert by my buddy in Fairview Alberta bow hunts them. Be prepared to end up real close to a moose! He frequently has bluff charges ending up around 3' away every year! I kind think he likes his adrenaline.Image
Some people just like stepping on rakes
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

Yeah last year we got a moose. My buddy shot it at 4 yards with a tenpoint. It was the rush of his life. I have bought cut on contact broadheads I plan on using them for both moose and deer. All my deer stands have shooting lanes out to 30 yards only and very few spots that go over that. I limit myself to 30 yards with the xnow and see no reason to change that. Moose I will try and be good out to 50 with the compound but under perfect conditions only. I talked with guys last year that said they would be good out to 90. I thought that would be a little extreme!!! :lol: