O/T: Camera ?'s Canon Rebel XT

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

O/T: Camera ?'s Canon Rebel XT

Post by crazyfarmer »

anyone have that model camera? Its the DSLR 350D. Im thinking of getting it but im having a hard trying deciding if I want to go SLR or not. I currently have a powershot S1 IS and they have a new S5 IS out that I like and its about 100 bucks cheaper. But the pictures from the SLR's seem to be amazing though. The one downside to going SLR is that I wont have the huge 12x zoom unless I spend another 200-300bucks on a different lense...

if you have that camera, let me know what you htink of it:)
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Can't help you with the Rebel . . .however, I went through the same decision making process about six months ago. I ended up with the powershot S5 IS. For what I do, the point and shoot was the best choice. My kids are 12 & 14 years old. I take a lot of movie clips. The pictures are very good. Probably not as good as the Rebel, but, I didn't have to invest more money in lenses, which really makes the camera much more expensive than the Powershot. Anyway, I like the convenience of taking video and pictures with the same device. . . .and it takes a very good video clip.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

sumner4991 wrote:Can't help you with the Rebel . . .however, I went through the same decision making process about six months ago. I ended up with the powershot S5 IS. For what I do, the point and shoot was the best choice. My kids are 12 & 14 years old. I take a lot of movie clips. The pictures are very good. Probably not as good as the Rebel, but, I didn't have to invest more money in lenses, which really makes the camera much more expensive than the Powershot. Anyway, I like the convenience of taking video and pictures with the same device. . . .and it takes a very good video clip.
LOL, so you have been there and done that also.. Its exactly 125bucks difference between the 2 and im a freak about crisp, good looking pictures. Both seem to do very well.... so i dunno LOL

Im gonna sleep on it for a few days beore buying either.. The rebel XTI looks good also, but thats almost 600bucks since its 10mp :lol:
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I know . . .I'm the same way. However, my kids like to take pictures too. I feel a little better about them using the Powershot.

It takes some great pictures too. You need a lot of light for digital pictures. If you do a lot of family shots indoors, then you better price in an external flash too.

For family shots . . .the Powershot is a great camera, especially when you add the external flash.

Have you ever used a SLR? A friend of the family has a Rebel and he's a photo freak. He's consistantly changing lenses and he's spend a lot of $$ for accessories. He takes some great shots, but, he works hard at getting them. I decided for me, I don't want to lug the extras around. I'm too lazy for a Rebel. LOL.

Either choice is a good one . . .Cannon makes a great camera.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

never used a SLR before. i know the image doesnt show on the screen like the IS's do either. Thats one thing I dont like, since im use to turning the screen on the S1 IS I have and taking pics with the LCD screen. Ive always wanted to try a SLR since most pictures I see with them turn out great but again, it depends on the lens and user.

Im still 50/50 on both so im not sure yet.. I doubt the wife could work the Rebel, but I was planning on getting her a smaller Canon 7x or something later this year so the rebel would be mine. I love taking pictures and the S1 did a great job, so I was hoping the S5 would follow in its steps but maybe give a slightly better photo. My mother in law is buying my old S1 so thats the main reason for getting something new. So ill only end up spending 100-250bucks on whatever I choose. The one thing I like about the Rebel is that you can add lenses and etc to it so its very upgradable and would probably last for years do to that. I did use the vid option on my old S1 also and SLR's dont have that so thats a minus, but I maybe used that 5% of the time so its not a huge deal. All the reviews give the S5 a 7.5 on image quality while the rebel seems to get a 8.5. You dont happen to any any links to pics you have taking with yours do you? Since im use to the S1 the S5 would be a snap to use since its the same setup. The rebel would probably take a few days to get the hang of.
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

An SLR is not for everyone but if you want full control over the shot then this is the way to go. Cannon offers a wide range of lenses at different price points. I myself used 35slr for years then went to a point n shot digital. I couldn't stand the damn thing.
Yeah it was great to compose the picture in the screen but I hated the start up time and lack of shutter speed. I would really recommend using an SLR digital or at least spend some money on a point n shot that will allow you some control over the shutter. Oh you really can't go wrong with any brand name digital SLR these days. Cannon, Nikon, Pentax and Sony are all good.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Bigugly, from what I read the S5 IS from canon is the best point and shoot zoom camera you can buy for around 300 bucks new. Im debating that or trying the rebel XT for 450 new but the problem arrises that the factory 18-55mm lens isnt the greatest but still does a good job.

Im just picky about my pictures I take and want the best possible jpg straight off the camera without having to edit a whole lot.

also, were the slr's a PITA to learn? Supposedly the entry level ones like the rebel are user friendly. Just set on auto if you want and click :D
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

You can have the best SLR and still wind up with crappy pictures. It does take a fair amount of experimentation to take make great pictures. You can have it so your SLR is basically a point and shoot: auto focus, auto shutter speed adjustment, auto aperature settings. With that you will get better quality images.

Composition, adjusting the focal point, playing with aperature, shutter speed, learning how to see and how to capture what you see. These are some of the things that make the difference between a picture and a great shot. When I'm taking pics and serious about it I will take 20 or more pics of one subject. Different angles, different exposure settings, flash, no flash, zoomed in, zoomed out. Left side of frame, right side of frame, rarely in the middle but sometimes thats what works best. I'm always learning, sometimes I get it right, alot of times I don't.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

chris4570 wrote:You can have the best SLR and still wind up with crappy pictures. It does take a fair amount of experimentation to take make great pictures. You can have it so your SLR is basically a point and shoot: auto focus, auto shutter speed adjustment, auto aperature settings. With that you will get better quality images.

Composition, adjusting the focal point, playing with aperature, shutter speed, learning how to see and how to capture what you see. These are some of the things that make the difference between a picture and a great shot. When I'm taking pics and serious about it I will take 20 or more pics of one subject. Different angles, different exposure settings, flash, no flash, zoomed in, zoomed out. Left side of frame, right side of frame, rarely in the middle but sometimes thats what works best. I'm always learning, sometimes I get it right, alot of times I don't.

i know, I take roughly 20 pics of anything I want a decent photo of since im very picky and every pic is different. This is one reason I was thinking of the SLR.
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

AS stated an slr can either be hard or as easy as you like. You will find however with any slr it's still a mirror that's movinig so when you hit the shutter release the picture is taken, no waiting around for the shutter to open and close. You will also find you will have way more ability to edit your shot with the slr even before you put it to your computer. What I mean is because you have the ability you can adjust quickly to conditions or adjust depending on how your first shot came out. If you are picky about your pics I think you will enjoy an slr. Keep in mind that yes the most expensive camera can still take crappy pics. When I first started toying with photgraphy years ago I went thru thousands of rolls of film, man digital sure is cheaper :D
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

BigUgly wrote:AS stated an slr can either be hard or as easy as you like. You will find however with any slr it's still a mirror that's movinig so when you hit the shutter release the picture is taken, no waiting around for the shutter to open and close. You will also find you will have way more ability to edit your shot with the slr even before you put it to your computer. What I mean is because you have the ability you can adjust quickly to conditions or adjust depending on how your first shot came out. If you are picky about your pics I think you will enjoy an slr. Keep in mind that yes the most expensive camera can still take crappy pics. When I first started toying with photgraphy years ago I went thru thousands of rolls of film, man digital sure is cheaper :D
LOL.. thats one thing I keep hearing about the SLR is the QUICK shutter speed so if you want a photo, you dont have to worry a whole lot about missing the exact picture you want taken. Ive always gooten good comments about photos I take for people with the plain point and shoots and they wonder how come they cant take decent pictures even with better cameras. So thats one reason I wanted to move up to a SLR. That and prices have come down a good 200-300bucks on the entry level models due to the new arrivals. A rebel use to cost 699-1000 bucks.. now 350-450 new
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

Well , we never stop at 2 cents worth but here is mine .
I have a Canon Rebel SLR and it takes great pictures. What I don't like about it for hunting situations is it's size and as stated earlier in the thread are the accessories involved.
I have also owned a Nikon a Kodak and now a Canon point and shoot digital camera and had equal success with them . They are light and with at least 6 meg. they will produce high quality photos. I have had photos published in 2 magazines (coffee table books) and one was with my SLR and the other with a point and shoot ( my Nikon I think ).
My advice would be to go with a quality point and shoot . The biggest problem I have seen is not being familiar with the camera . But it doesn't take a GURU to take good pictures. The most stressed thing in my camera classes I took was COMPOSITION . Take notice of what is in background and where sun and shadows are . Also shot from low position . I go through a lot of photo magazines and try to copy the way they set up their shots . The right position and the right light can make up for a mediocre camera .
So , IMO ,a quality , light and easy to handle camera and proper set up is the key.
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

well, just an update... took the plunge to the SLR's. I bought a Canon XTI 10.1MP with a 50mm lens and a 18-55 IS lens for now. Later on, ill get a 55-250 IS lens to get some wildlife photos. But I went and tested the S5 and XTI(newer rebel XT model) and the XTI blew the S5 away in my opinion. The photos were awesome! I still like the S5 but I know 1 month from now ill regret it and wish I had gotten the SLR:)

now, next season look for my photos in the photo contest here:-P kidding.. its always 75% user and 25% camera anyway :D
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Congrats crazy . . .I expect to see some top of the line photos! Post a couple . . .let's see what you got. Here's a couple I shot with the S5.

Still photos come out the best . . .what the S5 has trouble with is the action shots. As mentioned, the shutter speed is way too slow. My kids play tennis and it's hard to get action shots. That's when I resort to the video.

Scott

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Scott, that first picture of the sunset is unreal! I doubt you find many SLR's that can beat that;) What settings or mode did you shoot that in. Im still trying to figure out what settings to use such as shutter speed and aperture. I noticed that this camera takes pretty good pics up to 1600 ISO also.

I take for action shots, you want to use a quick shutter speed correct? Im amazed at the auto mode on this compared to my old S1. I cant really tell a huge difference in the ISO's, I know the higher ISO when its low light helps alot

ill get some photos when it gets decent outside.. winds blowing 40mph here now :D