Broadhead Suggestions for Africa

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jniszczak

Broadhead Suggestions for Africa

Post by jniszczak »

I am heading to South Africa in May for the first time and taking my older Exocet. We will be hunting plains game and I have built a 600-grain carbon arrow for this trip. Looking for broadhead suggestions. I may have the opportunity to hunt bull giraffe as well as kudu, gemsbuck, impala and warthog. What would you use to cover game across the board?

Thanks, in advance, for your input...
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

The 100 Grain Rocket Steelhead is a GREAT all around mechanical for lesser poundage models.
Rocket Broadheads wrote:Steelhead 100 is the baseline in the Steelhead broadhead series. Low profile but extremely lethal. The 100 grain broadhead delivers a 1 1/8 inch cutting diameter, and the 125 grain features a 1 1/4 inch cutting diameter, and both fly exactly like a field point.

GAME: GRIZZLY, MOOSE, ELK, BLACK BEAR, WHITETAIL, MULE DEER, ANTELOPE, MOUNTAIN LION, AFRICAN LION, LEOPARD, HOGS

The 100 Grain Rocket Ultimate Steel is a GREAT all around fixed blade broadhead.
Rocket Broadheads wrote:The Ultimate Steel is the ultimate fixed blade broadhead. The 75, 100, and 125 grains each pack a razor sharp 1 inch, 7/8 inch, and 1 1/16 inch cutting diameters, respectively. The razor sharp Bacon Skinner Blades can not be matched for sharpness anywhere else on the market.

GAME: AFRICAN BIG GAME, GRIZZLY, MOOSE, ELK, BLACK BEAR, WHITETAIL, MULE DEER, ANTELOPE, MOUNTAIN LION, AFRICAN LION, LEOPARD, HOGS
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Well I used 100 gr. Slick Trick, on a 3 year old Plains Buffalo (Bull) a couple years ago, and the broadhead broke up into about 6 pieces going right through to the hide on the other side. This bull was about 1100 lbs., next time I would use 125 grain.

Grey Owl
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

If you want the ultimate in penetration a traditional cut on contact is hard to beat . If you want lots of FOC you need to add weight . Magnus may have some broadheads to consider.they have models from 125 grain up to 185 grains and 1 15/32" cutting diameter. They are also guaranteed for life !

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/snuffers.html
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I have no Idea :idea: but i sure hope you will share all the pictures and stories you will have with us :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
jniszczak

Post by jniszczak »

That's a promise...