Good crossbow coverage in Outdoor Canada

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

maple

Good crossbow coverage in Outdoor Canada

Post by maple »

Just got my April issue of Outdoor Canada and there's a good, although short, article by Brad Fenson, who set out on a search for crossbow facts. It runs just one page but gets to the heart of things regarding crossbow misconceptions and their allowances in different provinces.

In doing so it compares crossbows to compound vert bows and actually gives vert bows the advantage in stealth, range and accuracy. This is contrary to what many 'assume' to be the case, and poo-poos the idea of them(xbs) being a poaching machine.

The author gives credits to Ontario for "encouraging(s) crossbow hunting during the archery season to allow more people to bowhunt" and in closing says:
"Remember, hunting seasons are put in place for biological reasons, and to provide opportunities to hunters. They're not meant to exclude one group or another from heading afield. And since crossbows are much closer in desigh to vertical bows than rifles, it only makes sense that they should be included in archery seasons - if not given a season all their own."

This is the kind of good press I like to see and states the case very well.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Just finished reading the article myself. It should be noted that the author doesn't hunt with a crossbow, so kudos to him for the positive words about crossbows.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
ehntr

Brad Fenson

Post by ehntr »

He is from AB. No crossbows in the archery season in AB. Must be permanently handicapped to use in the archery season or use it in a rifle season.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Was a good read!

I have a brother in Edmonton and he'd love to hunt with a X-bow.. but can't just justify the cost for something he'd have to use during rifle season. :cry:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Good article. The truth hurts :lol: :lol: :lol: .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
rwk

Post by rwk »

Maple is there any way you can send me a copy so i can put it in with my crossbow petition that i have going in New York. Ok! how do slow down a prostitute, put a govenor on her. Rich
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

rwk................I'm a poor substitute for Maple but here is a link to the magazine where you can find the article...

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/home.shtml

Click on Archery Rival