O/T: Camera ?'s Canon Rebel XT

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

crazy . . .that first shot is just dumb luck. I was on the ski boat. My daughter was skiing and went down. As we stopped to pick her up, I looked up at the sky and just snapped off the shot. The camera was probably in the "auto" mode. The second, I was walking along behind my daughter and just snapped the shot. I really liked the colors in both shots. The first one gives that crisp clear photo, but, I like the subtle blend of the colors in the second. I've always had a good eye for composing a picture and family/friends always ask me to take photos at all of our events. It's fun and I enjoy taking a good photo. Neither of these shots have been touched up.

I don't have a clue when it comes to ISO settings. I have a tripod, but, rarely use it unless I'm taking family pictures in the livingroom. :D

I strongly considered the camera you got . . .I'm anxious to see some photos. I'll probably get a SLR next time around. Well, unless Cannon makes similar strides in the point and shoot.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I have some close up shots I can post of my kids, but they are nothing fancy yet. I do like how sharp they are. All I did was upload them and crop them to fit on here since I cant load a 10MB photo to quickly on dailup LOL. No editing. They are nothing professional by far. Just snapped off the camera testing it out

one thing cool about the SLR is its B&W option:) Its just so many settings and so many different ways to capture images with this. Ill try something that works, then forget what I did LOL

first 2 are my little boy, second is my daughter. She wont pose much so its hard to get any shots of her
http://www.delanofarms.net/cropcn.jpg
http://www.delanofarms.net/cropcn2.jpg
http://www.delanofarms.net/cropsv.jpg
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

That's another thing on the S5 . . .the manual focus isn't very good. Close up shots can be testy . . .especially when I'm trying to show the serving wear.

Good shots. It's amazing how much detail a 10 megapixel will get you. The S5 is 8 megapixels and it's awesome. Try taking some shots from 20 feet away, then zoom in . . .the detail is there.

Enjoy the SLR . . .keep the pictures coming. We want to see next season's buck before you wack him with the crossbow. :)

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

the bad thing is, i posted those test shots on the canon forum and everyone said they definitly look like first shots LOL.. so I have a long ways to go.

but you are right about detail... im coming up from a 3.2mp model so its a big pickup there. Hopefully ill figure out the camera before deer season starts :D
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

That just means you can do better than great. :D

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

LOL.... the problem on there is that those guys have 800-1000 buck lenses also. Im trying to have a budget camera. Ive been through pics after pics with this new one and my old model and its a night and day difference. Even the bad ones are about as good as the ones with the point and shoot LOL

im playing with different features in AV mode and I get some good shots, but to me the auto modes are doing just as well on most shots.

I reccomend this camera if you can swing it;) Cant wait to get some poses with bucks this fall.. since I got the new camera, I doubt I kill a deer NOW LOL
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Great pictures guys ...

I'm no expert ... SLR's and Point and shoots both have their advantages ... I'm shooting a Pentax K100D Super with an aftermarket Sigma 75-330 lens ...

I got better pictures with my K100D standard witha 50-200 mm lens ..

I'm looking to upgrade in a year or so but I haven't made up my mind on a model ...
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
TNhunterKMC

Post by TNhunterKMC »

Make sure to buy good glass. You don't have to go up to the Canon L lenses but believe me - they DO make a huge difference in the quality of images. Do some research and you'll see there are a few lens with great reviews that are in their second tier of lenses. The EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens is an AWESOME non-L lens for your camera. It is the one that stays on my camera about 50% of the time. The other 50% is my 70-200 f/2.8 Sigma. Went with the sigma and saved about 1/2 the money. I've wished 1000x that I would have gone with the Canon version ever since making that initial decision. The 50 f/1.8 get excellent reviews and is a good value in that it is relatively inexpensive. I just bought the 85 f/1.8 and it gets rave reviews. One of Canon's better non-L lenses. Here are some samples I just took with it last night....... Check out the last pic and its shallow depth of focus. It is just plain sick. That last pic was shot at ISO 100 f/1.8 and 1/640 shutter speed (I had 2 flashes bouncing off the ceiling one camera left and one camera right). The other 3 were ISO 100 f/6.3 and 1/200 shutter speed.

R.J.

Post by R.J. »

1st 3 shots are wicked ! ... Great clarity !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

TNhunterKMC . . .I know who to go to now before I buy a SLR! Nice pictures. I totally agree with you.

R.J. . . . You are too modest . . . I love your pictures.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
hunter 740

Post by hunter 740 »

These pictures were taken at the Ohio State Basketball Ball Game in Columbus, OH. Chillicothe ( the Blue Team ) won the state title. This picture was taken from the opposite end of the court. Height was up in middle range 200 seats. No Flash. with the Cannon Power shot S5 IS

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk59 ... ageditmany
Last edited by hunter 740 on Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
hunter 740

Post by hunter 740 »

Last edited by hunter 740 on Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
hunter 740

Post by hunter 740 »

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk59 ... /jeff1.jpg

sorry for so many post that do'nt work , I'm trying to figure this out
Fox

Post by Fox »

I am going to pickup a Canon Rebel this summer, hopefully before my trip to BC.

I have a point and shoot and an SLR, the SLR is a film camera but similar in operation. The camera is older than I am, my mom gave it to me, but the pictures are amazing. The problem with the SLR is the setup for quick people shots, that is where the digital point and shoot come in.

Let me know what you think of the XTi, that is the one I am looking at for this summer.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

TN, awesome shots. I cant get mine close to that good. I like playing with the shutter, aperture, and ISO but usually my auto settings still look better to me. It takes some time to learn I guess:)

Fox, the XTI is awesome. Its crappy shots look better than my P&S. Even on its auto modes, most shots turn out great!

the below were mainly auto mode shots...

tried to get the clouds in a decent shot.

ever wonder what simple little plants look like to ants