Turkey vests

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Turkey vests

Post by Pydpiper »

I can't decide if I want one of these things or not, I manged OK last year without one but this year I have accumulated more stuff.
Bass Pro had a decent selection from $60 to over $100, and the confusion caused me to leave empty handed, well, without a vest anyways. I see my local shop has a nice one, Rocky I think and I just don't know if these things are as handy out there as they are being marketed as.
Anybody use one? Recommend using one?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Been using one of 6-7yrs now and wouldn't be without it Very handy for all the "stuff" I have to carry. The drop down pad that some of them have is great to keep you dry when sitting under that tree early in the morning. Enuff pockets for the 3-4 calls I carry plus extra face mask, headnet, shells etc.
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
saxman

Post by saxman »

I'm not sure if it's bass pro or cabelas that sells a pants and shirt outfit with all the pockets of a ves built into the clothing,padded seat and all.
I have seen other options that are not a vest and look pretty neat.
I use a vest and for the most part like it untill it gets real hot.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hey Dave, I have one with 2 bazzillion pockets. Barely used, you can have it. It'll cost you one dinner made by Jen.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
saxman

Post by saxman »

Now thats a good deal,sound to me like boo is getting the better end of it.
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Boo

Post by Boo »

saxman wrote:Now thats a good deal,sound to me like boo is getting the better end of it.
Yeah, because turkey vests are useless and Jen is an awesome cook!
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Boo wrote:
Yeah, because turkey vests are useless ...........................!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :(
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

My brother Saxman, sent one to Tyler full of calls, gloves, face mask, ect....and the name brand is "Mossy Oak". I went to get one for myself and couldn't find one that I liked until I stumbled across one in a sporting goods store that has "higher than normal" prices but I really liked it. I looked at the tag and it turned out to be a "Mossy Oak" as well. I really like it, very well made, easily organized and a real comfy cushion which is a really big plus for me.

God Bless,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
bbbwb

Turkey Vests

Post by bbbwb »

Great topic --- Pydpiper. I have looked at different ones and come to the same conclusion -- are they as good as they are made out to be. A friend has one and he feels they are excellent. I have tried different ones on and they don't feel comfortable for movement --- but I am a big guy. My concern is the ease of movement when all of one's hunting trinkets are in the vest pockets. I am still out on the decision for this one. Am interested in the comments.
bbbwb
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Haven't hunted turkey yet as the properties we have permission on didn't have them... but they do this year! :lol: I plan on packing a cushy seat pad that I use for deer hunting and having a backpack laying beside me. I think I'd prefer being able to pull things out of my open pack where I can see what I'm reaching for then digging through pockets on a vest.

But then, after a few seasons I might change my mind... a woman's prerogative! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I found that when I used the vest I was constantly doing the Macarena dance looking for stuff. I found that I make less movements if most of my stuff is in one place like a small pack or pouch. I also find that I carry less useless stuff if I do not use my vest.
saxman

Post by saxman »

There are some neat vest alternatives out there.I have seen leg pouches that attatch to a belt and again around the leg with call specific pockets.
Wal mart had a fanny pack style with a padded seat that was pretty neat.
I have down sloping shoulders due to both of my collar bones having been broken and cannot wear the style with straps,I wear the full vest style(Super Elite III) but some neat new stuff is coming out.
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
catcher

Post by catcher »

I am lost without my vest in the turkey woods. I know where everything is and the seat is worth its weight in gold. I actually have two of them. One I use for turkey and one I use for deer hunting. My deer hunting one has my scents in it my range finder,knife,flashlight,calls and everthing else I need for the hunt. And the seat is nice left up to put against the tree as a cushion. You hardly will ever see me in the woods hunting without one or the other.
Last edited by catcher on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Another thing that I forgot to mention is the storage area in the back of the vest where you put your bird is a great place to store a decoy. I bought the primos B-mobile and she mobile and if folded correctly, both will fit into that rear compartment. Shotgun in one hand, cane in the other and I'm ready for a little stroll through the woods :wink: .

God Bless,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

I also would be lost without my vest. It keeps everything very organized, I know exactly where everything is and all the pockets are positioned in very handy locations. Pockets designed for box calls, slates and strikers, diaphram calls and shotgun shells are features to look for as well as the bird bag in the back works awesome for decoys, just reach over yer shoulder and grab'em. The flip out seat is also very handy it keeps your hands free when you gotta move. Mine is made by Primos and the pocket locations and features are very well placed and easily accessable. I tried backpack'n it and its ok but I found everything was in a clump in it and very noisey with calls wanting to squack as you walk and trying to change calls in a hurry rifling through the bag very frustrating. People say "oh well you have too many calls" but let me tell ya I use them all, sometimes there is just a certain sound or pitch they want to hear, every bird is different and it pays to have a veriety. It could make the difference of having a bird hang up at 100 yrds or having him come running. But this is only my opinion and my experience so take it for what its worth.
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn