which ammo for turkeys

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bait pile willie

which ammo for turkeys

Post by bait pile willie »

just got a new shotgun takes up to 31/2 ' ammo.what shells do you guys use,hopefully i can get one with my vixen,in a bow only area.
kitty kat

Post by kitty kat »

I believe all we can use is #4,5,6. I will be using #4 in 3" if I can get them.
Excalibur Exomax and Arctic Cat 400 auto. Life don't get much better than that.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I've killed mine with 2.75" ammo, #6 shot.

The only thing that gets dead with heavier rounds is the feeling in your shoulder. :wink:
Grizz
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I bought 6 different brands and sizes of shells and have to pattern Tyler's new 20ga and my 12ga. I'll let you know the results when we get done. Both guns have the Jellyhead chokes in them.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Try the Winchester Extended range in 6 shot. They're not cheap but 10% heavier than lead. I smoked several turkeys WAY out there with same. You want 6's because you'll be shooting at the neck/head so lot's of small shot is better than fewer bigger ones. Be sure to pattern you gun ( I like the extra full choke) to see where it hits.
Fox

Post by Fox »

I use Remington 3 1/2" #6 or #4, does not matter much with my gun, #4 is a little nicer when there is grass and brush to shoot through mind you that does not matter in most situations.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I tried 4 different loads out of my Winchester 1300 before I found the one that patterned the best. And it wasen't the most expensive one out there :wink: . Get some targets and try a few different loads out to 50 yards.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

Those winchester extended range elite are something else, I took 2 birds last year with them and a yote, all with 3" #6 shot and all beyond 40yrds. I was using a Wingmaster with an undertaker choke. I normaly don't like to shoot that far but I had pattern my gun up to 50yrds with that load and it still put more pellets in the kill zone than alot of other loads at 35yrds. I wasn't going to try the yote with bird shot but he tried to make away with my decoy :evil: .
Fishn-Hunter
Last edited by Fishn-Hunter on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Fishn - Hunter That's what I'm using out of my 1300 with a Primos Tight Wad choke. Nailed my first gobbler last spring at 35-37 yards and there was no doubt he was down :D . They have great downrange power.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Rich

Post by Rich »

My 835 like the Winchester HV Supremes #5/3" the best. 3.5" are just to punishing for me and didn't group any better.

Rich
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Hey ecoaster, I recently purchased a Primos Tight-Wad, how do you like yours?
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
Crunch

Post by Crunch »

I'll vote for the Win 3' Extended elite in #6. Work very well in my 870 with a Jellyhead choke.

Good Luck.

crunch
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Go with the Win 3' Extended elite #6 :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

3"#6 Winchester HV with my 870 and the undertaker keeps the pattern nice en tight and for my sunday hunts the exocet with my wasp broadheads,the bird I hit at 20 yds last year with the bow stopped him in his tracks he didn't even flutter :D
The best things in life are not things!!
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

i have killed turkeys for 20 years,,,, you can kill turkesy with about anything,,,,i have used,,,crossbows,,,,single barrels 12,,,,old mosberg 20 ga low powder shells,,,,,,870 with a turkey choke,,,,, 3 1/2" mossberg the secret is getting them close enough,hey i have missed a sure shot at 25 yards , never drew a feather,,,,,,,,,,,but the most fun is with a crossbow,if you miss normally it wont spook the turkey, most times you can get a 2nd shot. i love spring turkey hunting, dont like the ticks , turkey season starts in kansas 4-1-08.

have a great hunting season ,,,,hatchet jack 8)
they say he is still up there.