What feeds your smokepole?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

What type of propellant do you use in your smokepole?

Black powder - Measured Powder
29%
Pyrodex - Pellets
12%
Pyrodex - Measured Powder
3%
Triple 7 - Pellets
18%
Triple 7 - Measured Powder
29%
Other
9%

Total votes: 34

DuckHunt

What feeds your smokepole?

Post by DuckHunt »

I was originally a black powder person, but it became scarce so I converted to Pyrodex. It was too corrosive for me so I went to Clear Shot, then Triple 7. I've always preferred loose powder to the pellets.

Last week I decided to try the Triple-7 pellets in my CVA Optima Pro with some new bullets I've decided to test. I was less than impressed. I'm not sure if it was the pellets, the new bullet, my loading (150gr) or a combination of them. I'm not sure if I could have kept it in a 12" circle at 100 yards. I'll be taking it back to the range to work out the kinks over the summer. I really want to use a different bullet next season because even with a hot load my current sabot just will not pass through a deer. It hasn't been an issue, but I prefer an entrance and exit wound.

What is your propellant of choice in your black powder arms?

DuckHunt
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Duckhunt I use the cva optima in 50cal. with 110 gr. loose 777 pushing a 300 gr. hornady sst.I had tried the pellets and was less than impressed with the lack of accuracy.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I shoot pyrodex pelletts in my Encore but am looking at this new stuff that has been tested and given favorable reviews by one of the moderators for a muzzleloading forum I belong to.
http://www.blackhorn209.com/
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

CVA Optima Pro
100 grains of loose T-7
MMP - 24 Sabots
Nosler .451 HP 260 grain
Nikon team realtree scope 3x9x40

God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Boo

Post by Boo »

I use smokeless powder but I understand that Shockey's Gold is really clean.
Is there any truth to this?
http://www.americanpioneerpowder.com/products.html
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Esox

Post by Esox »

Boo,
I use American Powder in my Double-flinter Shotgun and it's really clean, especially compared to regular blackpowder or Pyrodex. However, I still have to use black powder to prime the flint ignition......The flint ignition just isn't as hot as caps...Well, I shouldn't realy say that, testing shows that it actually it is as hot, but when I tried to grind up some ffffg size American Powder it didn't fire as well as regular ffffg...so I stuck to the original and it fires every time.... Good Stuff Though
wabi

Post by wabi »

I voted BP becaust that's my first choice in my sidelocks. I also use T-7 at times, but it requires I switch to a 209 conversion nipple for good ignition.

Boo,
The JSG I tried was very erratic in performance. It seems to be good in very low humidity, but gives erratic performance in high humidity. Accuracy was good when the humidity was very low, but when humidity went up the groups really opened up.
wabi
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I have several smokepoles but now only hunt with my TC Omega. It is 45 cal. and It just loves 120 gr. and does not seem to care what brand is used.

It absolutely hates 150 gr. or three pellets and will not pattern at 100 yards worth a hoot regardless of the type of projectile utilizing that quantity of powder.

I run powerbelts through the thing and go as light as I can. I want beyond 100 yards and worked for hours finding the right combination to get me out to 150 yards. I have a 3x9 scope with illuminated reticles very similar to the lumizone that is on the Omerga. I now hold 3" groups at 150 yards with loose triple seven and 45 cal powerbelts.

My Knight rifle is more accurate at 100 yards using 100 gr. of triple7 and sabots, but to hit anything at 150 you have to treat it like a morter.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Mike P wrote:I have several smokepoles but now only hunt with my TC Omega. It is 45 cal. and It just loves 120 gr. and does not seem to care what brand is used.

It absolutely hates 150 gr. or three pellets and will not pattern at 100 yards worth a hoot regardless of the type of projectile utilizing that quantity of powder.

I run powerbelts through the thing and go as light as I can. I want beyond 100 yards and worked for hours finding the right combination to get me out to 150 yards. I have a 3x9 scope with illuminated reticles very similar to the lumizone that is on the Omerga. I now hold 3" groups at 150 yards with loose triple seven and 45 cal powerbelts.

My Knight rifle is more accurate at 100 yards using 100 gr. of triple7 and sabots, but to hit anything at 150 you have to treat it like a morter.
Mike,you are right to not push the powerbelts to hard,they dont preform well over large charges.I shot two deer with my Encore using 2 pyrodex pellets and the bullet disintigrated,here is what was recovered of a 245grn areo point.Maybe a heavier PB would work better,however both deer are stone dead.

Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Normous

Post by Normous »

TC Omega 50 here, laminated stock, Leupold 3-9, and breach plug conversion to use small rifle primers,trigger job @ just under 3 lbs.
Triple 7 loose only and measured accuratly on a grain scale not by volume. Of course volume grains are not equal to scale grains. I use a handy chart for my consistant loads. Dead Center bullets with a high BC print nice small groups when I do my part.

For better groups without fliers I suggest a specific primer like the T7 209 or any other primer brand developed specifically for ML's. I believe Federal and Winchester also have a specific non hot 209 primers. Conventional shotgun primers may be too hot and lead to flyers due to the hot primer flame pushing the bullet forward before igniting all the powder, thus causing inconsistant burn and fliers. Chedite are the hotest.

Powerbelt ML bullets were the least accurate that I have tried. Very poor groups.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

T/C Omega 50 cal., two 777 pellets, Leupold 2-7, Nosler Partition-HG Sabots 250grn HP. Have not yet had the oportunity to shoot anything but paper with it. It shoot's under 3" 3 shot groups at 125 yrds, I might try loose 777 this year and see what it will do out to 200yrds.
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

more than likely you didnt have good groups due to the bullet/powder combo. I tried some expensive sabots in my Knight 50cal and they grouped 10inches at 100 yards!! Went back to the shockwaves and 2(50gr) 777 pellets and I was back to 2-3inch groups.

Ive used the powders and all types of pellets and never saw a huge difference in either. The biggest reason I preferr pellets is reloading under pressure. With powder and a nice buck either on the ground kicking or walking after the shot you tend to spill some:) With the pellets, you know what goes in the muzzle:)

no matter what, each ML will preferr 1 sabot over the other. The best grouping sbaot ive used are the TC shockwaves. Im thinking of getting the prohunter this season to use also but im not sure if I want to spend 800bucks on a ML'er to use for a week
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I have 2 muzzleloaders, both TC's. My first was a TC Hawkens then I got the TC Black Diamond. The inline Black Diamond is far more accurate for me than the Hawkens. With the Hawkens I shot home made 370 gr. maxiballs with 100 gr. of Pyrodex powder. With the inline I shoot the 250 gr. Shock Wave with 100 gr. of pyrodex pellets. I have shot 150 gr. in the inline but prefer the 100 gr..
Why ride when you can walk!
Shakibods

Post by Shakibods »

TC Omega, Nikon Omega BDC 3x9 scope, TC 250 gr Sabots, being pushed by 2 sticks of Jim Shockey's Gold. The Gold is great from a clean up perspective, very little residue and I don't have to swab every third shot. Obviously more pricey, however, more time spent shooting is worth it.
dnepr

Post by dnepr »

I use pyrodex select because of availability but I would prefer to use regular black powder. I think it is a superior powder to the substitutes but because of its explosive clasification many shops don't want to deal with it. most testing I have read show much more consistant velocities over a chronograph with real black powder than the substitutes. it is also easier to ignite. it catches at a lower temp than the substitutes I think it is 400 degrees compared to 700 but I would have to look it up to be sure.
I do get good result with the pyrodex select and I am going to try triple seven but I think that the real black has advantages. when it is important for relialble ignition I may use pyrodex but I stack my odds by a small bit of black to insure reliable ignition. some people do this by putting a little bit of black down the tube first but I prefer to load the rifle then pull the nipple and trickle a bit of black into the flash channel. and reinstall the nipple.
I have heard that some of the newer substitutes are getting really good . I have heard that the new pioneer powder will even get reliable ignition in a flint pan. anyone have any experience with this?