Red Dot Sight / Hydro Imaging on xbow questions.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Darren

Red Dot Sight / Hydro Imaging on xbow questions.

Post by Darren »

With limited funds in mind I had planned on a Vixen as a first xbow, with the option, as funds become available, to change the colour finish through hydro imaging process, so as to colour match most if not all visable surfaces, barrel, foot stirup, sight and mount etc, similar to Hortons Legacy xbow colour scheme. Has anyone already done this, and if so what are the pros and cons?
Second question regards dot sights on xbows. Horton, Ten Point and TruGlo all offer this type of sight rated for 300fps xbows. I`ve used both tele sights and red dots on air and rimfire rifles, so i`m aware of both systems pros an cons, but I would like to hear from you guys how they fare on excals? Would the 300fps rating of these sights mean that i would need to consider a Phoenix over the Vixen.
Any advice you can give on these matters would be greatly appreciated, as it would help me to decide which Excal to choose.
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

My opinion would be to go with a variable speed scope,and that way you are not limited as to the bow you eventually select.
That also allows you to experiment with various bolt weights,until you get the combination you prefer.
After starting with an older Exocet,I went to the Phoenix with a Lumizone scope,and now I have a tack driver!!
I have gone up in bolt weight to as high as high as 490 grains,using 2219 bolts and adjustments for drop are simple.
Bob Vandrish.
dutchhunter

sugestion

Post by dutchhunter »

I would suggest spending a littel more on the phenix..u can always up gread scopes when cash alows u will be happy with the phenix .good luck
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Tried several red dot scopes both single and 3 dot, even a two power by TruGlo. All were at best a compromise. No magnification, and since the dots don't adjust for speed of arrow, it's a guessing game as to where the 30 and 40 yard aimpoint are. Got a LumiZone scope on both of my bows. Absolutely love the performance. The VariZone is just as good but without illuminated reticule and much cheaper. Frankly have not used the illuminated reticule option yet and the VariZone is smaller overall. That may be your ticket.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use a TenPoint Pro-View on my Phoenix and it's right on @ 10 yard increments. Id suggest the Phoenix as it's already camo finish and you'll probably save money in the long run.
wabi
Downunder

Post by Downunder »

On my Vixen which is used for hunting rabbits only at this stage I use a red dot site, cost only NZD$35 so no bells and whistles!! no magnification, compact, no rings to give problems, just the dovetail clamp AND it does hold zero much to my amazement :shock:, one day I will invest in a higher grade red dot but in the mean time I'm very happy with the CHEAP bargin :D .
After a bit of practice to get to know the bolt flight, you can nail the bunnies out to 40 metres and consistantly at 30 metres.
I realize the hunting conditions are much different here in NZ and I just like the challenge of getting to know the xbow performance without the compensation adjustments the XBOW detacated (spelling ?!!) scopes have..... just my 2 cents worth :)
bbbwb

Red Dot sight

Post by bbbwb »

I have used the red dot sight on my older exocet(1994) and have had gooe success. My daughter used it this past fall and she was successful in taking her first deer. I had sighted it in for 25 yards and has been mentioned one adjusts for the different distances when shooting. ----- "practice."
I gave this xbow to her and purchased the exocet 200 with lumizone scope. I used it this fall and found it to be very good. I was comfortable in using at different yardage and found it easier to adjust for the different distances. It took my deer this fall at 40 yards ---no problem. As with any unit, the limiting factor is not neccessarily the equipment itself, but the "equipment" handling the equipment.
I would suggest to go for the lumizone if at all possible. It is a great scope.

bbbwb