Excalibur ExoMax & Vixen, ONE neg comment...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gunnutjay

Excalibur ExoMax & Vixen, ONE neg comment...

Post by gunnutjay »

Hey Guys;

Well, my wife and I went with the Excalibur Exomax and Vixen with "The Right Stuff Scope Accessory Packages". Thanks goes out to EVERYONE who provided advice in our search to find one that Huntress could run herself!

Overall impressions of the crossbows are that they are very well made. The only detraction is the quality of scope rings provided in the "Right Stuff" packages, they are TERRIBLE! They definitely are not the right stuff...

I was in the process of installing the scope on Huntress's Vixen and as I was tightening the top half of the rings down, when the screw stripped the threads out of the bottom half of the rings!!! At first, I thought the ring had just "settled into place", but nope, they had stripped!!!

So, I fired off to the local LeBaron and bought Leupold Rifleman rings to replace the "Right Stuff" Excalibur rings... I mentioned what had happened to the gun room staff and they said the rings provided with the "Right Stuff Packages" are terrible...

Anyhow, I will be calling Excalibur just to mention my experience as I truely believe they are trying to put together a good package. Maybe what happened to us is NOT normal and it was "bum" set of rings...

For all you guys & gals on the fence about a crossbow, the Excalibur product is very very well made and I would recommend it. Huntress & I are looking forward to shooting these and deer season in the fall... Here are some pics to wet your whistle...

Cheers
Jay

VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Looks like you and Huntress are all set now, Jay! ENJOY!!! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Yup, you are all set!
Those rings work great once you get them on, I stripped one too. It is certainly relative to what you pay though, the rings you bought are half the price of the Excal scope with the rings! :D Nice upgrade, you guys are in for a great fall!!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
fletch

Post by fletch »

Hey GNJ now you are all equipped to get a couple of those big corn fed deer out your way. Nice to see both of you are going to be out there.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Glad you got set up,I have had ZERO problems with any excal product but I'm sure a substandard this or that gets through every now and then but I can tell you that the quality of this equipment is second to none,If you've a mind to ,give them a chance to fix it,I'm sure they will make it right.
Enjoy and good shooting :D :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I am glad i am not a Deer in Ottawa this year, It looks look like they are going to be in big trouble :lol: :lol:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Glad you got your Excals, and glad you got set up OK! :D
Grizz
Wayne B

Post by Wayne B »

Just a question. When everyone tightens up the scope did they use any loc-tite? Or is that just a worry with rifle recoil?
Boo

Post by Boo »

Wayne B wrote:Just a question. When everyone tightens up the scope did they use any loc-tite? Or is that just a worry with rifle recoil?
I don't use Loctite but using blue Loctite isn't a bad idea. I just tighten the snot out of mine and check the once in a while. The don't come loose on my 300 Winchester Mag.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Exactly why I use Millet (medium) rings for my LumiZones. Not only are they laterally adjustable but made of steel.
gunnutjay

Post by gunnutjay »

Wayne B wrote:Just a question. When everyone tightens up the scope did they use any loc-tite? Or is that just a worry with rifle recoil?
I always use loctite on rifles, the blue type. I didn't use loctite on these crossbows... Should I???

Cheers
Jay
Normous

Post by Normous »

In my experience I found that one of the (4) small screws that attach the scope mount to the upper trigger mechanism would come loose due to vibration, unless loctited (blue of course). If your accuracy takes a dump the check those four screws first. I would loctite them to be sure. I have never loctited the ring screws. First I always degrease the screws and threads to remove the factory machining oil. This oil is what causes loosening with vibration.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

Norm, in automotive terms or SAE, all fasteners, unless otherwise specified, should be tightened or torqued completely void of any lubricant. Is that the same in your field?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

The Society of Automotive Engineers would agree to that statement, "unless specified".
In Engine Assembly where I work we only use loc tite(Red) in Cylinder heads and Blocks to seal the frost plugs. Most other fasteners are torqued dry. Some fasteners are coated with a loctite type adhesive that sets immediatly depending on application.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

A quick reply regarding the scope rings. Granted they are not Leupold Rifleman rings, but honestly for the amount of them that we sell and the amount that have problems the percentage is small. I have yet to strip one and I put a ton of them together a year. Some came with a wrench that was just a bit small for the head which is how most got stripped.

The rings do the job just fine, but if you want to spend more for something better that's your choice.

Peter