O/T Any Two Cycle Mechanics on here?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DrDan

O/T Any Two Cycle Mechanics on here?

Post by DrDan »

I'm rebuilding a 1974 Attex 6WD amphibious ATV that has a two cylinder JLO Snowmobile motor in it. I am going to bore the cylinders and fit it with oversized pistons but wonder what the proper clearance is between piston and cylinder wall? Seems to be experts on everything on this forum so just thought I'd fire this one out there.

This Attex is quite a machine! That motor will kick out 40 HP and will go 50 MPH if yah got that kind of guts. Not me!
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
Fox

Post by Fox »

Are you boring it yourself or taking it to a shop?
If you are taking it to a shop get them the pistons and they will give the proper clearance. I am not sure what they are exactly, I think it differs from engine to engine.

I have never heard of that machine, you have any pics?

My grandpa has a couple old Terra Jets, those things are cool, I need to get my hands on it when he is done with it.
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

LOL Thought you'd never ask!

Here's an action shot...

And a still...

I have mine all repainted in camo but the popular color in the 70's was yellow. They quit making them (probably because they were so overpowered) in late 70's. Lots of fun - will really throw the mud!
Phoenix - Equinox
DrDan
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Yes I'll take it to the shop for machining. I measured the taper in bore awhile ago (forgot what it measured) and it was significant. I'll have to find oversize pistons first and then take them and the block to the shop. It's a "B" finding parts for engine since it is a JLO engine (made in Germany) and the company was bought up by Rockwell in the USA and hasn't been built for quite sometime. You know, nobody likes 2 cycles anymore since they smoke (and also have tremendous power). Might smoke a treehugger when you blast by.
Phoenix - Equinox
DrDan
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Dr Dan try here ,I found these parts. :)
http://search.ebay.ca/jlo-engine_W0QQcr ... oQ20engine
Fox

Post by Fox »

Me likey

Generally 2-stroke pistons are very similar as long as the ports line up, check out that link or you may be able to find parts through a generic shop.

I love vintage things, I have a 78 snowmobile, 78 Suzuki dirt bike and they are both yellow, ha ha, just a bit of a pain to keep them running.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

That sure looks like the 6 wheeled Argo. I had reliability issues with my 8 wheeler. Be very, very, carefull. They can take you places where you would need another similar machine or a helicopter to come and rescue you if there's a breakdown.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Fox

Yup me too - I have an Argo Bigfoot for reliability issues with a Vanguard engine, but this old Attex is just an overpowered toy. I must have 200 hours in the body work and it is done now. Took her completely down and sand blasted chassis and repainted with Mil Spec anti-rust paint. Got new bearings and axles on all wheels. Now I refuse to put that engine back in without a complete rebuild - same with the Borg Warner skid steer transmission. I just enjoy rebuilding machines. Just finished with two rototillers. It is such a rush when you run them and they perform flawlessly. This Attex has been quite a chore though since parts are rare. Of course I have a metal lathe and milling machine combo so I can make lots of parts.

Something to do when nothing to hunt or fish for.
Phoenix - Equinox
DrDan
frisky

Post by frisky »

Use the piston manufactures RECOMMENDATION for the clearence. This is IMPORTANT!!!
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

Ive been working on outboard motors since i was 8 with my dad. Grew up on a marina. We got outta the business cause they want big dealers with high volume, no more ma and pa stores that give good service.

Anyways ive worked on alot of 2 cycle engines and id suggest you talk to the guys doing the boring out and go with the manufactors suggested clearance.

JLO also made engines for snowmobiles i believe. They were kind of a ... well a lemon as far as i know. If its a similar engine id almost be tempted to put in a more reliable snowmobile engine such as an older arctic cat of the same size.

Hope that helps.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

Just re read your first post and realized its a snowmobile engine. Like i said id be tempted to get something similar yet more reliable/easier to find parts for. Just my 2 cents.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.