Off Topic, but I need to vent! (fishing related)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Off Topic, but I need to vent! (fishing related)

Post by wabi »

For many yeas now I have used AbuGarcia reels and have always been impressed by the precision & quality.
Last year I bought a Cabela's brand spinning reel and it is a piece of junk! It takes a huge amount of force on the handle to close the bail after a cast. I decided to replace so I ordered an AbuGarcia Cardinal C503ALB.
I figured 10 ball bearings would make for a smooth reel. Got it today and the bail takes almost as much force as the Cabela's to close. :evil:
I went ahead and filled the spools with line so I could put it on a rod and try casting. After I had used it for a few minutes (also lubed it before I tried it on the rod) I removed it to try on a different rod. Then I noticed the sticker on the foot of the reel - Made in China :evil:
Guess I'll look for another brand of reels in the future! Looks like Swiss precision has been traded for mass production with cheap labor!!!!!!!
wabi
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

That stinks. It is hard to find anything good now a days. We used to always use Pen reels. They were by far the best and longest lasting reals we had ever tried which made it worth the price. They even stood up to me as a young kid who would submerge them and drop, drag, or just set them down in the dirt and sand regularly. A few years ago they seemed to start changing their designs to make them look cooler like their competitors. I went ahead and got a couple. They are both broke and sitting at the house :evil: Let me know if you find a good replacement.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have developed a preference for reels that break magnetically opposed to mechanically. I am a pond jumper, I love to hit irrigation ponds on my travels, but that also limits the size of my fish to about 6lbs or under.
Gonna try to find a reel thats not made in China? Good luck.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I also like the AbuGarcia reels. I have a bait caster that is going on 25-30 years old. Still works fine. I have a few newer model baitcasters and love them. I don't mind paying a bit extra for something that is quality. I have also been impressed by the Shimano spinning reels.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

My first fishing reel was a 1950's era Mitchell 300A (by Garcia) I inherited from my grandpa. I've still got it, it still runs like a dream ... and I've got another that I bought in the late '70's ... still going strong. I like those old Mitchells ... they're a classic.

Hope you find a good one! :D
Grizz
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I collected the old Mitchell's for a while, I have about 5 I think.. Timeless classic. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wabi

Post by wabi »

Even though it was raining I had to try it out. Went to the local lake where I had room to cast and tossed a spinner several times. I believe it's improving with use, or else I'm getting used to the bail closing hard. No strikes with the spinner, so I switched to a #8 hook baited with waxworms. Caught several bluegills, 1 crappie, and 3 rainbow (stocked) trout.
The 7' "UglyStik" (medium action) I put the reel on seems to be a good match.
Released everything but the trout. They won't survive the summer heat, so I might as well keep (& eat) them. The rain came finally decided to come down hard and forced me to quit, but while it was light the fish sure were biting!
Sort of feel guilty going without my son along, but he was still in school when I left. :lol:
wabi
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

I've had alot of luck with Browning fishing gear, but I know some older tourny fisherman that have talked me into "stepping up" to a pflueger. I'm planning on getting one for this year only time will tell.
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

I have always had great luck with abu and shimano, I am stil using the first 2 reels I ever baught when I was like 10 years old, both shimano and still work just like new. Man I remeber it seems like it took years of saving my allowance and birthday and xmass money too buy them lol. It is pretty hard to beat those ugly sticks, man I have put mine through there paces over the years, they are though.
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
maple

Post by maple »

Wabi,

I always buy reels on e-bay. You can find 'em new, used, or really old. Buy 'em to replace your worn out favourites, new models, parts, or add to your collection. As you say, they don't make 'em like they used to.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

The old Mitcell 300's have got to be the best reel ever made, If only they could build them like that again :D
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
TYE

Post by TYE »

I have a whack of old 300's too!

Mitchell is actually making a newer version now...

I've always used Shimano reels. :)