turkey hunting - niagara area - frustrating

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jpscribbler

turkey hunting - niagara area - frustrating

Post by jpscribbler »

I called the MNR today to aks if Sunday gun hunting for turkeys was permitted in WMU 89b (West LIncoln - Caistorville, Ont).
The person in the field office said, "I think so."
I asked if he could take the think out of that statement.
He said. "Yes. You can gun hunt in Caistorville on Sunday. But you have to make sure our law is not superceded by municipal law.
I call the clerk's office and spoke with the clerk.
She said: "We've been thinking about it, but haven't passed a law, so I'd say no hunting in the urban boundry."
I said okay, but how about outside the urban boundary. She said: "Well you can't discharge a firearm."
I said, oksay, what constitutes a firearm? She said, "a gun." I said okay, how about a crossbow. Can I hunt wild turkey, outside the urban boundary, on Sunday, with a crossbow.
She aid, " I don't know the answer. Better check with the MNR.
I called the MNR and asked waht constitutes a firearm. He sai. "That's a good question. It's a matter of interpretation. You should talk to the municipality.
I called the clerk back and asked again. She said. It's a police matter.
My question is: I've looked at the MNR Sunday hunting maps. Can anyone tell me with any authority whether I can crossbow hunt turkey on public or private land in 89b on a Sunday.

Thanks,
Excalibur Exocet 200
Lumizone scope
Boo string
Wasp 100 gr. broadhead
MADMAX2

Bow hunting sunday

Post by MADMAX2 »

I do not have the regs in front of me but yes you can bow hunt on sunday in 89b I will be in the agreement forest with my crossbow!!good luck to you and everyone else on friday opener :D
The best things in life are not things!!
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

When in doubt, use a bow. :wink:
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Big John

hunt

Post by Big John »

You can definetely hunt with your crossbow in 89B on Sunday's. :)
I did notice your are wanting to hunt West Lincoln, Caistorville area.
Nice area. I hope you have a property of your own or written permission on one. I own and have permission on three properties there. There is a few of us in the neighborhood who are charging tresspassers now. We used to be lenient, but now we cant. To much ignorance. Two of our properties are owned by Niagara's finest (Police). So catching and charging is easier now. But, yes Crossbow on sunday's in 89B. :)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

I hunt in in West Lincoln, Caistorville, you are not allowed to hunt sundays with a gun yet, but can hunt with bow or crossbow all days of the week. We screw trust passers over huge! When we know we have one on the property, we call the farmer and he has no care if it 4:00am, he's down there in a hurry on his Grizzly 660 and gives them a mouth full, mind you he is 6 foot 6 inches tall and about 300lbs, he's a big man and my dad is 6 foot 3 inches 225lbs and im 6 foot 210lbs, so they usually don't screw around and stay to chat.

Matt
Last edited by DropTine on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
jpscribbler

Post by jpscribbler »

John -

Hi. I'm hunting public land owned by the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority. I've registered with the NPCA, have paid a fee and have their written permission and dashboard permit.

There's some beautiful areas there and my scouting the past several months has turned up lots of sign.

I've stopped to ask a few people for permission and left personal letters with copies of liablity insurance with them, but so far no takers. Some were almost there, but explained they had poor experiences with hunters in the past.

If you tag out or are looking to make friends with another bowhunter, feel free to call me. I have a strong back, lots of stories and have a history of being generous to landowners.

Good hunting.

Cheers,

Jp
Excalibur Exocet 200
Lumizone scope
Boo string
Wasp 100 gr. broadhead
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

I'll run it by my dad and the land owner but we MAY have another spot for another hunter, the land owner is pretty tight on that but I might be able to soften him up, we'll keep in touch JP! By the way, we should all get together, who ever is willing, and go shoot the crossbows around!

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

That was a nice post JP, you sound like a respectful guy.
MNR has nothing to do with Sunday hunting, it is a municipality thing, usually associated to an old law or a noise by-law. The law is not usually "no Sunday hunting", it is written as "no Sunday gun hunting"
"Firearm" is not a term that is subject to interpretation, a bow is absolutely 100% a firearm, even a kids tiny BB gun is considered a firearm if you are in a place that is inhabited by wildlife. The confusion arises when hunting is involved, at home it is just a BB gun, and has no links the CFO, in the bush it is the MNR's jurisdiction and it then gets classified as a firearm. Once home and away from a place "that normally contains wildlife" it just becomes a toy again and is no longer subject to firearms laws like storage.
Also, I thought you were very clear on where you intended to hunt. :D
jpscribbler wrote:John -

Hi. I'm hunting public land owned by the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority. I've registered with the NPCA, have paid a fee and have their written permission and dashboard permit.

There's some beautiful areas there and my scouting the past several months has turned up lots of sign.

I've stopped to ask a few people for permission and left personal letters with copies of liablity insurance with them, but so far no takers. Some were almost there, but explained they had poor experiences with hunters in the past.

If you tag out or are looking to make friends with another bowhunter, feel free to call me. I have a strong back, lots of stories and have a history of being generous to landowners.

Good hunting.

Cheers,

Jp
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
spitfire125

Post by spitfire125 »

A crossbow is classed as a firearm if you hunt with it but is not if you just target practice with it
chessy

Post by chessy »

port hope and hope are doing there bylaws now to my suprise you can only use a shot gun and be on 50 acers land... you canot use a bow or crossbow at all period not for hunting or target practice ... the law will be re written soon and in our favor .. till then every one has broken this law in this township..
grandpafixit

Sunday hunting

Post by grandpafixit »

What if you're atheist or Jewish can you hunt on Sunday. Tell me what is the difference what day of the week it is, do you think the Turkey cares what day he dies as long as it's not today.
I work to live I live to GOLF