GOT ER' DONE!!!!!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

GOT ER' DONE!!!!!!!

Post by raydaughety »

Before daylight, Chris and I arrived at the area where he had roosted a strutting tom yesterday evening. We set up the decoys, had a word of Prayer and settled in for another hunt to remember. The birds started gobbling right on time but were a little further down the branch than we would have liked. Instead of heading in their direction, we decided to stick to our original plan and that was to sit tight, be patient and wait for the birds to come to us. Things started to pick up a little when 2 hens flew down in the field across from us. I saw something moving in the field and when I got my binos up, I got the rare opportunity to witness a hawk take down a rabbit and leave the field with it. Anyhow, We heard a bird gobble somewhere near the truck :? . This was a little unusual because the truck was parked in the clubhouse parking lot. I began to call with a Primos JackPot glass slate call, softly at first and then I cranked up the volume a bit trying to get the attention of the "clubhouse bird". Shortly after that we heard a twig snap directly behind me and it wasn't long before Chris saw 3 does about 20 yards out and feeding our way. I couldn't see the deer but was watching Chris as the does get closer and closer. I heard another noise that I had never heard before and when I looked at the decoys, there were 2 fans in the set up not one :shock: I already had my gun resting on the shooting stick so when the gobbler went behind a huge tree I quietly shouldered the gun which quickly got Chris's attention. That bird was spitting and drumming as it circled the Chris's homemade decoy (see pictures). He stayed in full strut for about 5 minutes and pretty much out of my sight. Chris kept whispering shoot!!, shoot!!, but I couldn't. Chris gave a couple of soft purrs and when he did the tom dropped his fan and stuck his head up high. He crumbled at the bark of my 11-87!!! It really was an incredible moment. I had finally done it with the help of my good friend, Chris but I would have loved for Tyler to have been there. As it started to sink in what I had done, I realized that Tyler should still be on the way to school and when I called the wife's cell, Tyler answered and I gave him the news. He weighed 18 pounds, has 10 & 1/4" beard. One spur was 1 & 1/4" and the other 1 & 1/8". He is a beautiful and will look good in the living room :shock:. Thanks for all the help and tips that you guys have sent my way.

The decoy

I'll try and get some better pics soon.

God Bless,

Ray
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Way to go, Ray! :D
Grizz
diesel

Post by diesel »

Great news Ray. Big Congrats.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Nice job Ray. Nice looking bird.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
Fergie10

Post by Fergie10 »

yha you got er did alright

way to go ray
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Congratulations my Friend :D The pressure is off now :wink: Nice looking Bird :!:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Thanks guys, it's 4:30 am on friday, I'm gonna go cruise the fields and see if I can spot one for Tyler in the morning.

God Bless,

Ray
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Way to go Ray. Nice looking bird.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Good show Ray. And you just gave me an idea for one of the two fans I have mounted. Had a tom come in yesterday to 27 yards, just two yards short of my shooting distance limit (crossbow), but he wouldn't approach the decoys (hen and jake) any closer, and didn't stay long. Strong wind making blind noisy may have been a factor. I'm thinking the fan will bring this tom closer. I'm letting him rest while it's cool and rainy but will be back tomorrow...with a fan for the jake!
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Ray,

Nice bird!!

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
catcher

Post by catcher »

Awesome bird Ray. Now the pressure is off. Congrats.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Cossack, that was all that it took, the sight of that fan and a few seductive purrs made a sad end for his day. This is a homemade fan that Chris made for a dried fan, and old decoy head, some re-bar and a clothes hanger. He's h killed a many a turkey with that set up. This is what I use because it can be fold up easily and put in your vest: https://shop.primos.com/pc-1059-82-mobi ... older.aspx

You just push the feathers in and your done!

God Bless,

Ray
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations Ray!!!!!!!!
wabi
Big John

tury

Post by Big John »

Very Nice Ray!! 8) :D
You certainly did get it done. Way to go.
Excellent looking Bird!
Congrat's!!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:D Congrats Ray on a fine bird. :D