Xbow stringer gadget

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Downunder

Xbow stringer gadget

Post by Downunder »

Hi guys, hey I'm having trouble stringing the Y25 and need one of those Xbow stringers.. I should have ordered one with the bow :oops:, its a little harder than the Vixen :shock:
Because there will be none in New Zealand I'm going to make one from solid nylon material, can anybody tell me the diameter of the hole and the material thickness of the REAL McCoy that slips over the limbs ? Thanks !
gad

Post by gad »

I have used a 6 mm climbing rope, no nylon or any other plastic on thhe tips, just a loop tied with an eight knot. I have made the end loops big just enough to pass over the limb tips. Works very well and its more compact than the original stringer, cause it dont have that bulky plastic pieces.
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I use 550 pound paracord, here are two pictures, one holding the limbs, the next is a close up of the loop. Fits easily in a pocket.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
saxman

Post by saxman »

Thats a great idea,it'll fit in a pocket or pack along with an extra string.
I will be making one if those.
Explain what an 8 knot is?
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I think the more common term is a figure 8 knot, here's a link to animated knots: http://www.animatedknots.com/knotlist.p ... dknots.com
"Eze 18:21"
Downunder

Post by Downunder »

In Kiwi terms it looks like a bowline knot, a very strong knot... NO slip.
I like this type of stringer... EASY to make :D
gad

Re: Xbow stringer gadget

Post by gad »

bstout wrote:
Downunder wrote:its a little harder than the Vixen :shock:
The only difference between Excalibur models for the most part is the draw length. At brace height they're the same; i.e. stringing an Exomax is the same as stringing a Vixen.

Five years ago when I got my Vixen I had no trouble putting the string on without an aid. Now I need the stringing aid. I carry a used string that is already broken in with a twisty tie between the loops. This keeps the number of twists in the string calibrated while the string is not on the bow. It lives in a zip-loc baggie, in my backpack all of the time in a zippered pocket.

I'll keep one of these hand made stringers with it in the same zip-loc baggie.

Thanks for the pix, Dave. :D
Its not the same to string the vixen and the exomaX. The exomaX has the forward riser, angled limbs to the front. Its just a little bit harder to string any bow with forward riser than the straight riser like the vixen.

Will take a picture tonight and post tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

Edited: for a while (before I post the pictures with the figure 8 knot), I found those pictures that I posted a while ago, when you can see the stringer (much like the pictures posted above). The only difference for now is that now I am using the figure 8 knot. Not that old one do not work, its just fun to playing with ropes too. :D

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... highlight=
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
gad

Re: Xbow stringer gadget

Post by gad »

bstout wrote:
gad wrote:Its not the same to string the vixen and the exomaX. The exomaX has the forward riser, angled limbs to the front. Its just a little bit harder to string any bow with forward riser than the straight riser like the vixen.

Will take a picture tonight and post tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.
Thanks for the correction, Gus. I forgot about the forward riser and angled limbs of the current models.

Still, the current model Vixen should be the same as the current model Exomax as far as stringing it goes.

Draw length being the only difference between models.

Edit: I looked at the pix of your old stringing aid, Gus. Those are the style knots I had in mind. Have you ever had any problems with those knots?
No. This knots are fine if you do not put to much load on them. For this use, you can use them no problem. Just be sure to tight them hard before you use. You just can´t use those knots for security aplications, when you can have your own body attached to them. (neither to attach two ends of a climbing rope for prussik aplications). Otherwise, they are fine.

The figure 8 knot is one of the knots that has less resistance loss of the rope, plus you can use it safely for any security aplication, and also to attach two pieces of rope together, without any fear of it to slip.

Resume of the opera: I just changed to figure 8 cause I had a past im climbing, and I like to play with knots two. :lol:
Downunder

Post by Downunder »

gad wrote:I have used a 6 mm climbing rope, no nylon or any other plastic on thhe tips, just a loop tied with an eight knot. I have made the end loops big just enough to pass over the limb tips. Works very well and its more compact than the original stringer, cause it dont have that bulky plastic pieces.
Hey guys, why no nylon or plastics on the limbs ?, what are the Excalibur stringers made from ?
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Without the plastic it is smaller and more convenient to carry, but the plastic wont hurt your bow if you do use it. If my Excalibur stringer is handy I will use it, if not my home made one is always handy. I keep it attached to the bow along with a spare string (and other assorted goodies) in a water proof stock pad I made. The factory stringer would not fit in here.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
gad

Post by gad »

Downunder wrote:
gad wrote:I have used a 6 mm climbing rope, no nylon or any other plastic on the tips, just a loop tied with an eight knot. I have made the end loops big just enough to pass over the limb tips. Works very well and its more compact than the original stringer, cause it dont have that bulky plastic pieces.
Hey guys, why no nylon or plastics on the limbs ?, what are the Excalibur stringers made from ?
Just to keep it simple. No need for the nylon. However, if you prefer to use it with, no problem. It will just be less portable and harder to make one.

I think that the original one uses nylon. Not sure, better to call excalibur to check what you can safely use. My original one have broken while I was stringing my exomax. No damage, lucky one I am, the limb tips does not hit the ground when it broked.

Forgot to take the pictures last week. Will take it this week.