salt licks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

warningshot

salt licks

Post by warningshot »

does anyone ever put out mineral licks for deer ...and if so what product or receipe do you use ...and where do u put them
Pink Panther

Salt licks

Post by Pink Panther »

I use a product from Back yard Wildlife products , it is called a mineral foutian there address is [email protected] . I have had it set up know for a couple a weeks the deer are comeing in to check it out. Check out the web site for info and pictures.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

You can use a plain old cow salt block and get as good if not better results as any of the advertised mineral licks :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
tracer

Post by tracer »

I put out the trace mineral block, available at TSC stores. The deer really love it from Spring to Aug. They prefer trace mineral over the straight salt blocks. I place it by a well used deer trail and setup the trail cam. I break the block into pieces to make it easier to pack it in. As the deer lick it up, they dig holes in the ground.

Image.

The broken up pieces are the trace mineral.
Last edited by tracer on Tue May 20, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Authorized Dealer for SPYPOINT, SPARTAN, BADLANDS GEAR, KLYMIT, FENIX,
whitetailscrossing.com
kitty kat

Post by kitty kat »

I use the smaller mineral salt blocks that I get at T.S.C.sotres or most feed stores. I have used the premiun water softened salt that I dig into the ground and the pour about 10 gallons of water into it. The deer really dig into the ground looking for the salt. I have used the deer attractant to go with the special deer salt but it didn' work for me but it did work for a friend. Try different methods , something will work.
Excalibur Exomax and Arctic Cat 400 auto. Life don't get much better than that.
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

I use a natural mineral "rock" that is mined in Utah. I get them at the feed mill/store

http://www.trophyrock.com/trophyrock-tips.cfm

The best stuff I've ever used. The deer use it constantly. I've tried all the commercial mineral block, sla blocks etc and found theses rocks really work!
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
farmer54

Post by farmer54 »

We started using the Trophy Rock around Sept 1/07. We put 1 at my Dads farm and 2 at my cousins farm. I got a nice buck last fall that was coming right to it. We got back to check it in the latter part of April. At my dads there was next to nothing left. At my cousins place 1 was just about gone an the 2nd was about 1/2 gone. We put out 2 new ones at the same time. We have put up trail cameras and have pictures of deer coming to the rock. A few of the pictures have 2 or 3 deer licking them. I have tried cow lick blocks and never got the results that we are getting now. Some of the pictures are on the Trophy rock website. The pictures are under the name of Judy.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

dick195252 wrote:You can use a plain old cow salt block and get as good if not better results as any of the advertised mineral licks :wink:
This is true, but salt does nothing for the deer. If you are putting something out anyway, make it worthwhile.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Salt is craved by deer in the spring. During the summer and through the fall they get what small amount of salt they need from the food they eat. The mineral rocks provide them with a group of minerals they need to promote healthier bodies, increased antler growth etc. Kind of like humans taking mutiple vitamins when they don't eat properly.

Ceratin foods that deer eat give them some of what they need but not all Some areas don't have the needed minerals, protein and nutrients to promote good body developement. That's why food plots with the specifically developed foods are important to good deer management. If you read up on landowners who manage their property for deer you would find they plant varied and specific food sources to promote healthy,heard with big animals. Including natireal mineral "rocks" or blocks.
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
8up

Post by 8up »

These are quotes from a Biologist here in Tennessee (poor soil) that makes a living managing wildlife and QDM farms as well as a deer hunter.
[BSK] When comparing deer that have access to mineral licks versus deer in the same area that do not, there is no difference in animal performance.

I use salt licks simply because they are great locations for photo-inventorying the resident summer population.

[apsuheead]We use regular white salt blocks for pictures. BSK do you seem to get more pics with trophy rock? Should I spend the extra money?
[BSK] I'm not sure one type of salt/mineral will outperform another in attractiveness. I just like Trophy Rocks because they are not man-made. They are a completely natural product--simply chunks of naturally deposited salt mined from the Great Salt Lake deposits. I try to stay as natural as possible.

I have used some of everything. I have seen it take a full year before they really used it in some sites. Money is tight so no more trophy rock for me. I even use the trace mineral that comes in bags from the feed store[/quote]
2008 Excalibur Vortex, Lumizone, STS
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Here are some pics of a lick (water softener salt) I put out during the 3rd week of April. I've been checking it while turkey hunting and the deer are hitting it pretty good, with trails radiating from it like the spokes of a wheel. Soon I will be topping up the pit with a special mineral supplement. My main purpose is to attract and hold deer in the area, hoping they will continue to call it their home in the fall.

Week 1

Week 3

Week 4
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i went and put some salt down as well as some minerals from backyard magic......we'll see what happens ...thanks for all the info
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Road salt works just fine for me.
Country

Post by Country »

I've been using a trace mineral block I got from the local feed store and the deer are using it for sure but I'm not sure if it's really what I want. I seem to remember reading somewhere that a mineral block for deer shouldn't contain more then 45% salt and the rest should be minerals. I can't seem to find anything like that on the market. The trace mineral stuff will say something like (and I don't remember accurately) .09% phosphorous. What does this mean? Is that too little or maybe even next to useless? What minerals should a deer block have to really promote antler growth and good health? All blocks work as an attractant but what's best for the deer?
wabi

Post by wabi »

Over the years I've tried about every type mineral block advertised. The only thing that has consistantly drawn deer in has been a plain old salt block!
I tried the trophy rock last year and it would have put meat on the table for me if I'd taken the shot. I was in my ladder stand 20 yards from the block with the season in, a license in my pocket, and the Phoenix cocked & loaded when he showed up! I just didn't have the heart to pull the trigger. :cry: Besides, I'd already had my fill of squirrel for the year. :lol: (and that one fox squirrel was all I ever saw at the trophy rock)
wabi